ADVERTISEMENT

FA's Women's Super League

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
So, in my need for early AM soccer fixes on Saturday and Sunday morning, I took in the WSL games between Man United/Spurs and Man City vs Chelsea (Arsenal also beat down Brighton-Hove Albion). Because they're getting higher pay in England, many of the US superstars have left NWSL and moved to England and the FA WSL. Tobin Heath and Christen Press are playing for United. Rose Lavelle and Sarah Mewis are playing for City. (City is stacked BTW as they also have Lucy Bronze and Emily White). I believe Alex Morgan signed with Spurs but isn't yet active as she works her way back into match fitness after giving birth.

NWSL is teetering on being irrelevant as it is because the quality is just not there and as USWNT stars take their talents overseas for higher salaries, the NWSL is slipping even further. Wonder if USSF will tell the new USWNT coach he must select 75% of the roster from those currently on NWSL rosters in a forced move to keep them relevant. I'm waiting for Berhalter's excuse as to why 70% of his roster is domestic based and brings in guys like Jordan Morris, Roldan (and I like both of these players) and Zardes over more talented guys based in Europe.

The NWSL is over. At least for now. USSF basically admitted in the lawsuit that the league isn’t viable without the stars and they don’t have the money to pay the supplement unless they play USWNT at the current pay level and control expenses associated with playing more matches. The women didn’t want to go that direction and burnt up millions in legal fees.

It will be interesting what direction the Super League goes. Some clubs have money to burn. Others not so much. There’s no money in TV at this point or player transfer. The Heath kit is flying off the shelves, so there’s that. But that’s not enough to pay for player development or training and England doesn’t have our Title IX infrastructure. I think you’ll see it contract into a Champions League style tourney after a few years. But you never know with Brits and their soccer. The dudes from Leeds would pay to watch a sewer rat with their logo on it swallow feces if there’s a chance it will do it faster than a Chelsea rat and there’s a fight afterwards.

Reactions: TU_BLA
The dudes from Leeds would pay to watch a sewer rat with their logo on it swallow feces if there’s a chance it will do it faster than a Chelsea rat and there’s a fight afterwards.
Speaking of Leeds, they're fun to watch in EPL this season. They play fast, always play to attack and don't change that because they're playing one of the power house clubs like LFC or City. They do concede a lot of goals because of this style but they also score a lot and generate a ton of quality chances.

It's hard to tell with NWSL and the WSL right now about fan support because there are no fans. I watched the games this weekend because the men are on their int'l break. I think I'd rather watch women's college soccer than the NWSL right now. The lack of quality and the discrepancy in talent between teams is ridiculous and makes it not fun to watch. The WSL were more closely contested with better quality play. I also think WSL is attracting high level talent from around the world. England, US, the Netherlands, and Sweden were all well represented in the games I watched this weekend. Women's Bundesliga also has some good talent but I think it's concentrated in 2-3 teams where most of the German WNT are concentrated. They don't get as much pub as the WSL though.

They have the advantage of a large amount of the talent not wanting to live in America right now as well.

Reactions: TU_BLA
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT