ADVERTISEMENT

Everybody gets a job

Gold*

Serious Cat Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2003

I appreciate what TU is trying to do here. One question. [Coughing sound.]. Just a sec. [Giggles] [Humming sounnd.]

Here’s the question. Would this require that this generation wants to work?

Reactions: TU1NNJ
It is an interesting concept. I know of no other schools doing this.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
It is an interesting concept. I know of no other schools doing this.
it's a "down market" idea, it started with technical training programs and community colleges in programs like nursing and welding and has moved to a few colleges that you've never heard of. It's kind of like a restaurant having a no e coli guarantee if you ask me, it says "we can't guarantee good food or decent service but hey, at least you won't get e coli".

The law school sort of did a version of this. They really push their job numbers. Caves, who is the face of this, ran career services over there. She was a year ahead of me in law school.

Honestly it’s not worth that much to a student. “If our bachelors degrees are so crap that you can’t get a job, we’ll give you six free graduate degree hours where you might not get a job”

Honestly it’s not worth that much to a student. “If our bachelors degrees are so crap that you can’t get a job, we’ll give you six free graduate degree hours where you might not get a job”
Can't disagree with any of that. Also, schools with more of a training/vocational focus tend to have higher attrition and lower student success measures, like graduation. It might get more people in the door but I'm not sure it helps longer term with school economic performance.

Have you ever seen the graduation statistics for colleges in this country? They are awful.

It makes no sense. College is fun. Not hard. Especially when you realize what insane things you can get away with.

It’s not the worst idea. There are a lot of people who would get something out of those six hours, even if it’s only free basketball tickets and access to the gym.

I’ve got a little time left on my paid subscription, so I’ll jump in on this topic before fading away. TU’s graduation and placement rates are exceptional. Even A/S has like a 85% placement rate in a job related to their major within 6 months of graduation. We are talking about a small small number of people who might be close to taking such a guarantee, so it doesn’t surprise me that they came up with this. This is more about marketing to anxious parents and kids who grew up in the financial crisis, rather than addressing some institutional failure or lack of achievement by a small class of students. Its also something no other school within reasonable driving distance of TU could offer, except maybe SMU, maybe. OU, OSU, OSU/Tulsa, TCC, don’t have that type of placement rate, would have too many people taking advantage of it to make it workable, and such a change would get bogged down in politics since it would require policy makers to admit that their schools aren’t cutting it for some students. That cant happen in public. It’s TU capitalizing on its flexibility and independence as a small private school to be more aggressive in the marketplace, It’s amazing what TU can do when it identifies its strengths, then employs the right people at competitive rates to leverage those advantages.

Last edited:
Reactions: TulsaAM and TU 1978
Have you ever seen the graduation statistics for colleges in this country? They are awful.

It makes no sense. College is fun. Not hard. Especially when you realize what insane things you can get away with.

It’s not the worst idea. There are a lot of people who would get something out of those six hours, even if it’s only free basketball tickets and access to the gym.
Think we were in different undergrad majors in terms of difficulty lol. (Not comparing to Law School btw)

That’s fair. But the graduation rate in my liberal arts program was piss poor. I was the best student in one of my majors by GPA and probably in the other (they never said). And I worked basically full time. And other than being kinda bored the last semester, the whole thing was not that bad.

some degrees are not high on the help wanted ist; philosophy, economics, ethnic studies, art, dance,

some degrees are not high on the help wanted ist; philosophy, economics, ethnic studies, art, dance,
Philosophy and economics are great if you want to go to law school, get an advanced degree in public policy, etc. You've highlighted a lot of the short sightedness of TU Plan. We're moving from a school that makes some effort to educate people for bigger things, to give them a high ceiling, and instead are focusing on training the next generation of mid-level managers. We're going to be Middle Class U.

Reactions: astonmartin708
I’ve got a little time left on my paid subscription, so I’ll jump in on this topic before fading away. TU’s graduation and placement rates are exceptional. Even A/S has like a 85% placement rate in a job related to their major within 6 months of graduation. We are talking about a small small number of people who might be close to taking such a guarantee, so it doesn’t surprise me that they came up with this. This is more about marketing to anxious parents and kids who grew up in the financial crisis, rather than addressing some institutional failure or lack of achievement by a small class of students. Its also something no other school within reasonable driving distance of TU could offer, except maybe SMU, maybe. OU, OSU, OSU/Tulsa, TCC, don’t have that type of placement rate, would have too many people taking advantage of it to make it workable, and such a change would get bogged down in politics since it would require policy makers to admit that their schools aren’t cutting it for some students. That cant happen in public. It’s TU capitalizing on its flexibility and independence as a small private school to be more aggressive in the marketplace, It’s amazing what TU can do when it identifies its strengths, then employs the right people at competitive rates to leverage those advantages.
TU's performance is not particularly good compared to schools that most of us would consider our peers. OU, OSU, TCC, etc. are set up in part to provide opportunities for students who are marginal college students and inherently have a higher drop out rate. That's part of the reason those schools get state support and have an expense structure that lets you have higher attrition, and so are a lot cheaper. Now that we're targeting more marginal students, and especially marketing directly to them, expect to see our performance look more like OSU/OU than our peers. The question is, without 20k students and state support, how do we pay for that? Part of the answer is by outsourcing liberal arts to TCC, which is what we're doing by eliminating departments, which will mean very heavy reliance on adjunct teachers making $20 an hour and working part time at TCC and part time at TU. That's the model, have a few key areas where we invest and the rest of the school is TCC with a nice campus.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT