ADVERTISEMENT

Eight New Players for Next Year

I.I.

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Pros and cons:

Pros: These new players look like they bring a lot of great talent and give us the distinct possibility of getting to the dance next year.

Cons: We may be one of the worst programs in the nation when it comes to having your new players sorted out and able to win early OOC games.

Pros and cons:

Pros: These new players look like they bring a lot of great talent and give us the distinct possibility of getting to the dance next year.

Cons: We may be one of the worst programs in the nation when it comes to having your new players sorted out and able to win early OOC games.
Nine, if you count Gendron and/or Idowu plays.

Pros: Guys who can score (or so Haith touted in his interview); Guys who can shoot; Guys with athleticism
Cons: Chemistry- don't know if Tulsa being in OK will (for once) be an advantage with this virus;

Cons: We may be one of the worst programs in the nation when it comes to having
your new players sorted out and able to win early OOC games.
Eight new plus Gendron....You're right, and it has happened every year....One of the
reasons of course, is the fact we have led our conference in average number of new
players per season since we have been in the AAC....Why?? We recruit a large
number of transfers and JUCOs relative to freshmen, so their scheduled eligibility is
shorter....Also, some of our past recruits just couldn't stick.....Only 2 of 7 in the 2016
class (Igbanu, Korita) played as seniors...None of the 2018 class of 5 made it into
their second season of eligibility.....

Our 2019 and 2020 classes have thankfully been of a higher quality, and we should
end up with a better retention rate going forward...That being said, the very large
specter of the transfer portal is rearing its ugly head, and that will probably increase
player movement....

Sometimes, it seems you 'can't win for losin'......

Last edited:
Reactions: Henry Kendall
To add onto what senior said...I marvel at ol' Roy and UNC- they are the one program that does not lose a ton of players year in and year out to the transfer portal. I'm sure there are others, but it seems that those guys actually buy-in to their role and stick it out. (Obviously some have transferred, but it's not like most). It is interesting that Haith is changing styles to what worked this past year, which was defense and an inside post presence. It would appear we will be guard oriented next year, so I really hope the turnovers are down and we can out-shoot our opponents.

Reactions: dldaily
Despite all these new players, I've got a feeling that this bunch will not allow OOC opponents to sneak up on us. The reason: DEFENSE! Unlike years past, the staff & returning players now know exactly what it takes to be successful. They figured that out the last 2/3rds of last season.

I'm sure that these new guys were recruited with the understanding that they will work very hard on D. And as a heart-warming bonus, several of them appear to shoot it with consistency. What a concept!

I think the OSU series is suppose to restart this season. Should be an interesting one with them having a good recruiting class

Neutral Site vs Boston College on 11/20
Neutral Site vs BYU/George Mason on 11/21
Home game vs Northwestern State on 11/24
Home game vs UT-Arlington on 12/17
Road game @Colorado State on 12/20

Road game @Boise State TBD

Reactions: URedskin54
I remember hearing somewhere that the OSU series started up again this season in basketball... though I could be wrong about that.

We also have @ORU this season.

In other news... McClung to TT. That might mean they'll back off A.J. Walker.

The pay side presents a different perspective. We are still working on one or two recruits.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Tulsa has extended a recent 2020 offer to a big man and is showing strong interest in another. There have also been a couple new transfers pop up that TU is interested in.

I have never seen so many good players still available to play immediately this late in the year. It makes you never want to use up that last scholarship until September.

Reactions: Chris Harmon
I have never seen so many good players still available to play immediately this
late in the year. It makes you never want to use up that last scholarship until
September.

True....You could, if fortunate, still get a good one late...Trouble is, with the
transfer portal (TP) and Grad transfer rule, you can also still lose one late....
Not many of our seniors-to-be are 'one school' players....Only Joiner and
Jackson from my faulty memory.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT