ADVERTISEMENT

Dr Gragg & Dr Clancy : 9 Wins in 3 years demands an explanation to the fanbase.

Tulsafanzz

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Apr 22, 2006
Gragg or Clancy needs to address the TU football fanbase. They need to explain their vision for Tulsa football.

After supporting a program that went 9-27 over these last 3 seasons, I think TU fans deserve an explanation why we should expect better results without a coaching change.

We are waiting.

Name a single thing the two of them have done to make you believe they actually care about the fans? I’ll accept the decision not to fire a coach who has averaged three wins a season over the past three years. However, not providing an explanation as to the decision and future direction of the program is inexcusable.

Makes one want to give to TU athletics doesn’t it?

When they call asking for your $$$ (GHC) or asking you to renew your tickets, be sure to lay out exactly why. Poor work study kid on the other side of the phone won't know what to do. Then tell the kid you want Dr. Gragg or Dr. Clancy to call you to discuss it.

Better yet, email Gragg and Clancy directly. I believe the e-mail naming convention is the same so Gragg's standard TU e-mail would be "derrick-gragg@utulsa.edu" and Clancy's would be "gerard-clancy@utulsa.edu" (provided both of those are their first names and not middle names, common usage names). My guess is Clancy has a gofer screening his e-mails and filtering important stuff to another inbox. Not sure Gragg understands e-mail fully and how to use it properly to submit time sensitive documents and such.

Last edited:
I'm honestly afraid about the future of the program. It's as if nobody really cares. If no changes are made, I feel the apathy heading into next season will be at an all time high (which means crowds will be at an all time low).

I'm honestly afraid about the future of the program. It's as if nobody really cares. If no changes are made, I feel the apathy heading into next season will be at an all time high (which means crowds will be at an all time low).
And TU would probably post that they have 400 new season ticket holders

If anyone from the university released a statement defending Monty they would just be lambasted on here, even if they made decent points.

Reactions: Raisin_Cane

There were 3 guys a few rows above me at the Houston game yelling about the lack of an OC. Other than that, you could have heard a pin drop in the place. Recruits on hand looked bored to tears.

I left at the half to head over to the high school playoff game, which was much more exciting by the way.

The Mrs. stuck around for the end of the Tulsa game and said the atmosphere got even worse in the 2nd half.

The future is now with the directionless football and basketball programs. If there is a direction and plan, Gragg and Clancy better show some “True Commitment” and let the fans know what it is.

The announced attendance at most of the fb home games this year was around 16,000. No way that many folks were there in the seats for most of these games. I assume they count tickets sold and given away as “attendance”? Ditto for basketball. Last night’s bb attendance was announced as a paltry 2781 when there were way less than that actually in the seats.

More and more often when I look at this school I feel my view falling in line with Largent. But I love the school and so am stuck like Rader.

I won't be buying season tickets. This so turns my stomach it sours me towards going to the basketball games.

Gragg needs to go to.

Gragg or Clancy needs to address the TU football fanbase. They need to explain their vision for Tulsa football.

After supporting a program that went 9-27 over these last 3 seasons, I think TU fans deserve an explanation why we should expect better results without a coaching change.

We are waiting.
They're so up to their eyeballs in the :crap:astrophe they created on the academic side, I suspect nobody in the admin has time to focus on athletics. FWIW, if their ideas on athletics are as "good" as their ideas on academics, then the last thing we want is them being involved. That's the kind of "help" we can do without, thank you. Like hiring Jeffrey Dahmer as your brain surgeon.

When they call asking for your $$$ (GHC) or asking you to renew your tickets, be sure to lay out exactly why. Poor work study kid on the other side of the phone won't know what to do. Then tell the kid you want Dr. Gragg or Dr. Clancy to call you to discuss it.

Better yet, email Gragg and Clancy directly. I believe the e-mail naming convention is the same so Gragg's standard TU e-mail would be "derrick-gragg@utulsa.edu" and Clancy's would be "gerard-clancy@utulsa.edu" (provided both of those are their first names and not middle names, common usage names). My guess is Clancy has a gofer screening his e-mails and filtering important stuff to another inbox. Not sure Gragg understands e-mail fully and how to use it properly to submit time sensitive documents and such.
That’s the correct email. Short, clear, polite and constructive emails will be replied to without a doubt. It may take a few hours and the reply may only be a few words but he will read it and he will be the one to respond. I’ve watched him read and respond to students emailing him while at dinner after a 14 hour day. He cares more about this school and you as a person and an alum than any leader since President Twyman. I know it’s hard to grasp but he’s the right guy for the job right now.

Last edited:
That’s the correct email. Short, clear, polite and constructive emails will be replied to without a doubt. It may take a few hours and the reply may only be a few words but he will read it and he will be the one to respond. I’ve watched him read and respond to students emailing him while at dinner after a 14 hour day. He cares more about this school and you as a person and an alum than any leader since President Twyman. I know it’s hard to grasp but he’s the right guy for the job right now.
I just sprained an eye muscle rolling my eyes so hard at this nonsense. He certainly doesn't act like he cares about TU or its students or alumni (unless they agree with him), and the ideas he champions are idiotic. Maybe he cares like Barney Fife cared about Mayberry. I wouldn't trust him to take my garbage to the curb. FWIW I sent him a short, respectful, professional email about True Commitment and never heard a word back.

I hope that your last sentence is correct. My observations are that he is aloof and doesn’t respond to alumni. Apparently, even significant donors like Case are not listened to either, so an alumnus like myself who has only given thousands of dollars over the years has no hope of any influence.

Reactions: Tulsa76
I hope that your last sentence is correct. My observations are that he is aloof and doesn’t respond to alumni. Apparently, even significant donors like Case are not listened to either, so an alumnus like myself who has only given thousands of dollars over the years has no hope of any influence.
I would encourage you to volunteer your time with the GHC or the college or academic program you completed. You’ll have the opportunity to meet and visit with President Clancy within the first few events you attend. Which is dramatically different than Stead or even Dr Lawless who also genuinely cared for TU in his own way. Your words and actions have influence over him, but you also must be cognizant that he is constrained by the positions of the Board and the demands of outside entities like the accreditation folks, loan servicers, Major donors and others. The dude is truly at the center of a tornado of conflicting priorities and demands. Expressing a little empathy will go a long way.

Reactions: TU 1978
I’m glad Gragg did publicly address Montgomery’s situation. The “Monty staying” thread contains his interview with Kelly Hines of the World. While I don’t agree with Gragg’s opinion, I believe it is important for him to communicate that opinion with the fanbase. I thank Dr Gragg for that. Now I will be emailing him my opinion as a fan & 30 year season ticket holder.

BTW, I really hope Gragg is right & I am wrong about Coach Montgomery’s future coaching potential.

While I'm sure Huffy's correct about Clancy's intentions, I don't find him to be remotely personable or responsive. In his official appearances, he appears to be so wired as to be about to spin out of control. And, it would be nice if he could show up at his own Presidential concert performance at Lorton.

While I'm sure Huffy's correct about Clancy's intentions, I don't find him to be remotely personable or responsive. In his official appearances, he appears to be so wired as to be about to spin out of control. And, it would be nice if he could show up at his own Presidential concert performance at Lorton.
I think Huffy's point is as long as you agree with Clancy and agree to do unpaid work to further his agenda then he's nice to you It's only if you do not agree with him that he's got a problem with you. I personally wouldn't call that loving TU and its alumni, I'd call that narcissism but you know, to each his own.

I'm sure I'm the only person on the planet who remembers this cheeseball song but it's perfect for our boy Gerard.

Last edited:
I think he’s a man attempting to piece together., day to day, solutions to problems TU has left unresolved for 25 years or longer because nobody had the courage to confront them until there was no other choice. He’s just trying to ride the storm out ...

Reactions: chito_and_leon
I think he’s a man attempting to piece together., day to day, solutions to problems TU has left unresolved for 25 years or longer because nobody had the courage to confront them until there was no other choice. He’s just trying to ride the storm out ...

Sorry. Bull:crap:.

Under this man it has been one bad decision after another. It's not by accident we have so much negativity towards the current administration in the press and social media. The man has been a disaster for the school and we are looking at a decade of trying to clean up the garbage he keeps trying to pass off as improving the university. His relationship with alumni is bad and getting worse. His local support seems nonexistent other than the rich man trying to take over the school. He has no public image and no public presence within the city. This is a disaster administration that is merrily whistling it's way down the path.

Clancy doesn’t sound anything like Pascal Twyman to me. The school was not destroyed in the last 25 years, but between him and Kaiser, I don’t give it another 25 if they have their way.

I assume they will not do anything, but that is why I made the thread. Throw us a bone, give us some hope for next season and beyond!

My guess is the explanation was we were close. Wait till next year. Be patient. I don’t buy it.

Go TU!!!!

Clancy doesn’t sound anything like Pascal Twyman to me. The school was not destroyed in the last 25 years, but between him and Kaiser, I don’t give it another 25 if they have their way.
Upham did a pretty good number on it, with poor financing, overbuilding, and the economy hitting the skids. The crash of 2007 did a pretty good job on our finances.

The fact that we're now officially engaged in an REO Speedwagon song battle is literally the best thing ever to happen on the interwebs.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Upham did a pretty good number on it, with poor financing, overbuilding, and the economy hitting the skids. The crash of 2007 did a pretty good job on our finances.
I don’t think people have a clear grasp of where this university would be if it had continued business as usual from 2016 to now. True Commitment and other moves might be unpopular decision and may even end up being the wrong decisions. But I can tell you with absolute certainty that the way business was being done was much more harmful to the wellbeing of the school. It’s like the school was smoking cigarettes and everyone was getting a nice buzz but our lungs were this close to collapsing. And Huffy has tried to explain it for years but no one has really listened.

Sorry. Bull:crap:.

Under this man it has been one bad decision after another. It's not by accident we have so much negativity towards the current administration in the press and social media. The man has been a disaster for the school and we are looking at a decade of trying to clean up the garbage he keeps trying to pass off as improving the university. His relationship with alumni is bad and getting worse. His local support seems nonexistent other than the rich man trying to take over the school. He has no public image and no public presence within the city. This is a disaster administration that is merrily whistling it's way down the path.
+1000

Huffy's post

1*oEsKCT-p_6Es2v1Sxwsy-Q.jpeg

I don’t think people have a clear grasp of where this university would be if it had continued business as usual from 2016 to now. True Commitment and other moves might be unpopular decision and may even end up being the wrong decisions. But I can tell you with absolute certainty that the way business was being done was much more harmful to the wellbeing of the school. It’s like the school was smoking cigarettes and everyone was getting a nice buzz but our lungs were this close to collapsing. And Huffy has tried to explain it for years but no one has really listened.
With all due respect, the fact the prior path was wrong doesn't make this path right. True Commitment is we've been smoking too much so we'll start shooting meth instead to protect out lungs. Right, good plan! Hurrah to Gerard for that one!

Reactions: TU 1978
Let me give it to you guys in the simplest terms for those of you that actually care about facts and reasonable decisions:

1. Stead fires or reassigns a large portion of the risk management and academic compliance staff.

2. TU no longer maintains what some would call critical data on the effectiveness of certain academic programs.

3. Stead redirects those funds and more to pet projects and spending money on fundraising — which was remarkably effective and long over due. But it had external costs.

4. Stead retires. TU is remarkably unprepared for this event.

5. Orzak is a disaster. Time passes.

6. Stead dies. Time passes.

7. TU gets a routine letter from the accreditation folks.

8. Education loses teaching certification.

9. Accreditation folks send another letter saying we are taking a routine but closer look.

10. TU conducts business as usual.

11. Accreditation folks take a closer look. Highlight some minor problems, including education department. They say you need more compliance people. They also say stop spending money on building buildings and making up the deficit on athletics until you resolve these other minor problems.They also say things look great. You’ve done good work so far, we will be back in two years.

12. Anybody with any brains reads the letter and concludes that severe to harsh outcomes will result if TU keeps operating business as usual, including offering degree programs with few or no students and losing money on athletics.

13. Montgomery proves he cannot consistently recruit a QB except for one who didn’t originally want to come to Tulsa.

14. We keep losing.

15. Everyone doesn’t want to blame Montgomery or themselves for thinking he was a good idea.

16. Most of you think we need to spend $5 million hiring and firing a football coach and another $5 million on an IPF and academic/lockerroom upgrades.

17. Most of you remain willfully blind to the fact that forces outside the University and it’s leadership, ie the accreditation folks and certain creditors holding short term debt, say don’t spend money on football, stop losing money on football, tell them faculty to shut up and don’t build anything at least for two years.

18. Everyone gets on here and says we need to build and spend on a buyout.

19. Everyone thinks I’m an ahole for discussing facts rather than blaming people with their hands tied.

20. A few of you start to listen.

Last edited:
Let me give it to you guys in the simplest terms for those of you that actually care about facts and reasonable decisions:

1. Stead fires or reassigns a large portion of the risk management and academic compliance staff.

2. TU no longer maintains what some would call critical data on the effectiveness of certain academic programs.

3. Stead redirects those funds and more to pet projects and spending money on fundraising — which was remarkably effective and long over due. But it had external costs.

4. Stead retires. TU is remarkably unprepared for this event.

5. Orzak is a disaster. Time passes.

6. Stead dies. Time passes.

7. TU gets a routine letter from the accreditation folks.

8. Education loses teaching certification.

9. Accreditation folks send another letter saying we are taking a routine but closer look.

10. TU conducts business as usual.

11. Accreditation folks take a closer look. Highlight some minor problems, including education department. They say you need more compliance people. They also say stop spending money on building buildings and making up the deficit on athletics until you resolve these other minor problems.They also say things look great. You’ve done good work so far, we will be back in two years.

12. Anybody with any brains reads the letter and concludes that severe to harsh outcomes will result if TU keeps operating business as usual, including offering degree programs with few or no students and losing money on athletics.

13. Montgomery proves he cannot consistently recruit a QB except for one who didn’t originally want to come to Tulsa.

14. We keep losing.

15. Everyone doesn’t want to blame Montgomery or themselves for thinking he was a good idea.

16. Most of you think we need to spend $5 million hiring and firing a football coach and another $5 million on an IPF and academic/lockerroom upgrades.

17. Most of you remain willfully blind to the fact that forces outside the University and it’s leadership, ie the accreditation folks and certain creditors holding short term debt, say don’t spend money on football, stop losing money on football, tell them faculty to shut up and don’t build anything at least for two years.

18. Everyone gets on here and says we need to build and spend on a buyout.

19. Everyone thinks I’m an ahole for discussing facts rather than blaming people with their hands tied.

20. A few of you start to listen.
Post of the week.

Reactions: HuffyCane

You mean if they continue educating students?

Last edited:
We will always lose money on athletics. Most college programs do lose money on athletics.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...partments-make-more-they-spend-still-minority
Correct. But that’s not the end of the analysis or even the beginning of the balancing test necessary to determine what level of loss is prudent. And then once that baseline is made, how much less do you spend as an effective strategy to remain competitive, comply with Title IX, avoid draining resources from main campus unnecessarily, while still setting aside monies for projected growth and maintenance in sports that isn’t covered under the maintenance endowments. And those are just the considerations worth mentioning. There are others.

Further complicating things, TU’s athletics deficit is not in a bubble. It relates to, reflects, and effects spending elsewhere on campus. The accreditation folks have no say in whether we make money or lose $190 million on football. What they can say is that here are the following programs that we believe are underfunded, their underfunding is having a fundamental negative effect on the baseline minimum of the education delivered, and therefore if you don’t take documented steps to fund it properly AND pay for people to track the progress and collect evidence to back up your assertions that you meet our minimum standards, we may be forced to take action against you. Oh by the way, be advised we can see you spending $7 million more than what you take in with athletics, please don’t tell us when we come back that this is still underfunded or you couldn’t find the money.

Now, TU has never received that type of threatening letter from the accreditation commission. But the above is how they roll. And the routine letter we got last year did note concerns regarding athletic deficits and underfunded programs without raising any specific concerns.

So we were given a chance to get our house in order. And we have and then some. And athletics is on track to have a zero balance before the next periodic review.

But we aren’t going to be building anything until the next review, we will be thinking twice and a third time about what those buildings will be used for, and it won’t be an IPF without a major conditional gift for two critical areas of need and an additional amount in other academic areas that will help assuage concerns from the people who are in charge of auditing our books and our academic programs on and off campus. A $5 million dollar gift won’t get you an IPF. It won’t get a coach fired. If that money is cash, it needs to be spent elsewhere, if it’s part of a proposed deficit, it needs to be avoided so deficit spending on programs can take place to alleviate concerns. Two years from now, a $15 million dollar gift or campaign would be close to getting it all done, if athletics has a zero balance and the academics have a clean bill of health. But for the next 18 months, TU has essentially pressed pause on the athletic programs and major spending. There’s just too much still unresolved on the academic side to allow athletics to draw that level of scrutiny and attention. You’ll see some exciting upgrades to existing facilities but no major building. People can blame the faculty for being anti-football as the reason why we can’t build what you guys want, but that’s simplistic. Academic compliance and bolstering TU’s position that it’s doing every thing it can to meet accreditation concerns is the real reason we can’t spend.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT