ADVERTISEMENT

Disgusting......Sick....Despicable Joke

shon46

I.T.S. Defensive Coordinator
Sep 16, 2008
UK
Philip Montgomery will return for a fifth season in 2019. “Coach is a good man,” AD Derrick Gragg told the Tulsa World. “He runs a clean program. He’s a player’s coach. They play hard for him. They haven’t quit.” Tulsa went 3-9 in 2018 and is 5-19 overall after going 10-3 in 2016.

I think the move for next season might actually be replacing the AD. If Monty rights the shin then everything is hunky dorry. If not, we have a new AD that can find his own guy.
I agree.......I really want things to improve but The problem, competent QB or not, we will not be better than Cincinnati, USF, Tulane, Houston, or UCF because they have all been able to recruit better and have better coaches.

I agree.......I really want things to improve but The problem, competent QB or not, we will not be better than Cincinnati, USF, Tulane, Houston, or UCF because they have all been able to recruit better and have better coaches.
I'm not so sure about that. I just think it's time for some fresh life in the AD's office. I don't think we need a peacetime consigliere at the moment so to speak.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Philip Montgomery will return for a fifth season in 2019. “Coach is a good man,” AD Derrick Gragg told the Tulsa World. “He runs a clean program. He’s a player’s coach. They play hard for him. They haven’t quit.” Tulsa went 3-9 in 2018 and is 5-19 overall after going 10-3 in 2016.
This wasn't in question. I was told earlier in the week that there would be no change.

Reactions: Aboomer
Jake Spavital to Texas St... or as I’m calling it the try out for the TU job.

This wasn't in question. I was told earlier in the week that there would be no change.
Chris, thanks for the info. Nobody covers this stuff better than you and I appreciate the work you do for this site. That being said, I guess I just held out hope for a change even though I knew I wasn’t setting myself up for success. Kind of like when I turned 16. I asked my dad for a jeep and I held out hope even though my dad told me before "Hell NO" that he would change his mind. I got a beat up Pinto! Same feeling with this situation. Oh well.....I got over it then and I will get over this now!

Last edited:
Marion is absolutely ready...it's just not the same system Monty runs.
I’m not sure any more what type of system Monty is trying to run, but it’s not been effective the past two years. Time for a change.

ECU just fired their coach. They still have a game left with an in state rival.

And their players found out about it via twitter. When one of the players asked the AD why they found out their coach was fired via Twitter the AD responded that they sent a text to inform players. Player then asks the AD if he would break-up with a girlfriend via text. AD didn't respond and left the room. Look for 25% of their returning players to notify ECU via text message that they are transferring.

The CEO of the company I just helped sell just bought a Ferrari. Therefore I should buy a Ferrari. But I can’t. So I’m just going to bitch and moan incessantly about how unfair it is that I don’t get a Ferrari.

Reactions: TU 1978
If Tulsa can’t handle the financial burdens of d1 then stop

Just stop pretending

Are there any Horizon League schools in your area? You’ll be able to go watch our basketball teams and other Olympic sports play at those places after we drop d1 football.

And their players found out about it via twitter. When one of the players asked the AD why they found out their coach was fired via Twitter the AD responded that they sent a text to inform players. Player then asks the AD if he would break-up with a girlfriend via text. AD didn't respond and left the room. Look for 25% of their returning players to notify ECU via text message that they are transferring.
If I'm ECU... Who cares if they transfer

Are there any Horizon League schools in your area? You’ll be able to go watch our basketball teams and other Olympic sports play at those places after we drop d1 football.
Who do you guys keep responding too? I can’t see anything so it must not be from a TU fan :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

First they don't have an AD and still have more leadership than shown here.

Second they are working on their third losing season in a row. How many of those players should be kept? Perhaps the evaluation of talent is an issue? Considering their QB last year lost his spot and transferred to Wazzu to be a dark horse Heisman canidate chances are high.

The CEO of the company I just helped sell just bought a Ferrari. Therefore I should buy a Ferrari. But I can’t. So I’m just going to bitch and moan incessantly about how unfair it is that I don’t get a Ferrari.

You're not good enough to get a Ferarri, but you're just going to stand there and keep not being good enough. So you'll never have a Ferarri.

Me I'd think man, I helped him get a Ferarri, bet I can get one for me too.

One of us is envious and one is inspired. Wonder who will end up seeing more success?

Fortune favoring the bold, who has heard of such things?

You're not good enough to get a Ferarri, but you're just going to stand there and keep not being good enough. So you'll never have a Ferarri.

One of us is envious and one is inspired. Wonder who will end up seeing more success?

Ive worked with a lot of entrepreneurs and startups and they almost never fail from lack of boldness. It’s almost always the opposite - companies want to move too quickly and skip critical steps of building their product or market. They’re like you - they think that hard things will be easy and that success comes inevitably if you just have a good idea, product or team. Turns out it doesn’t. They think they deserve success and so it will follow. It won’t. You can’t skip steps. You can’t have a “wave magic wand” stage. Your whole life is “I want it, I wave magic wand, I’m a success.” I hope it works out for you but it almost never does.

Interestingly this showed up in my mail today. The top 3 reasons companies die is from having a “magic wand” step. Number 4 is a lack of commitment, hard work etc. if you ever try to build anything or run a real company, you’ll learn this.

Firing Monty with Gragg still here and no plan to upgrade, and having to commit to a new guy for 4 years has a lot of “magic wand” steps. It sounds good on a message board when you’ve never had to make real decisions or run real operations but it’s laughably naive for those of us who actually know how to build and run organizations.

https://www.cbinsights.com/research/startup-failure-reasons-top/

There is also inherently a lot of impredictability in personnel decision making and also in performance assessment.

The smart play right now seems to be finding an up and coming OC considering the various challenges the University is facing right now. I am all in for pushing strongly that direction.

If we are having this same discussion in 12 months though it will be hard to stay patient.

There is also inherently a lot of impredictability in personnel decision making and also in performance assessment.

The smart play right now seems to be finding an up and coming OC considering the various challenges the University is facing right now. I am all in for pushing strongly that direction.

If we are having this same discussion in 12 months though it will be hard to stay patient.
I think the hope is that with a year less buyout and a year to get finances in order, we’ll be able to go after a high quality candidate, play in the top tier of candidates. If we went out now, we’re so limited in what we can do, we’d be praying to get “a find” in the dollar bin of candidates. It’s hard enough to find someone good, if you’re in the second or third tier of candidates like we would be, it’s much harder. And that person would get 4 years minimum. We’re not indifferent to making a mistake. It costs us 4 years. We’re better off to be able to go after top candidates in a year rather than rushing and putting ourselves in an even harder hiring situation. Also hopefully next year we have a different person making the selection decisions. If someone thinks we can wave a magic wand and hire the next Nick Sabam, then I guess go for it. But you know how often that magic fails people.

The problem is money ...the administration is too tight ass to make the bold commitment. Can.t even get the indoor facility project off the ground. So the nickel and dime budget can’t pay an OC decent money to attract anyone.

You can keep the Ferarri. Give me a Chevy and I'll invest the rest of the money.

Reactions: Tulsa_
Monty has two young QB with game experience in two years. The Baylor transfer will have a team with game experience. He will be able to pass not only to WR but have production at TE and RB in the passing game. Most importantly, Monty will have players with experience, hungry and a defense.

I think the hope is that with a year less buyout and a year to get finances in order, we’ll be able to go after a high quality candidate, play in the top tier of candidates. If we went out now, we’re so limited in what we can do, we’d be praying to get “a find” in the dollar bin of candidates. It’s hard enough to find someone good, if you’re in the second or third tier of candidates like we would be, it’s much harder. And that person would get 4 years minimum. We’re not indifferent to making a mistake. It costs us 4 years. We’re better off to be able to go after top candidates in a year rather than rushing and putting ourselves in an even harder hiring situation. Also hopefully next year we have a different person making the selection decisions. If someone thinks we can wave a magic wand and hire the next Nick Sabam, then I guess go for it. But you know how often that magic fails people.

Very well put chito, I agree with it all. It is still hard as a fan knowing we have to wait another year for the inevitable and I'm not one for patience.

But maybe I'm wrong and Monty proves us all wrong this offseason.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Chito for AD!

Very well put chito, I agree with it all. It is still hard as a fan knowing we have to wait another year for the inevitable and I'm not one for patience.

But maybe I'm wrong and Monty proves us all wrong this offseason.
Lol no kidding the throw away year when everyone knows the coach won’t work out but you need to give them one chance to turn it around (do they ever??) are the worst! We’ve had a lot recently. BB’s year 4, wojick year 4-7, Phillips year 4, Monty year 4 and 5... that’s the real killer about a bad hire, you’re guaranteed at least two years of misery and usually three, the bad year and the throw away year and the first year under the new guy who’s trying to restock and get his feet wet. Bad hires have a lot of downside. At least in the NBA when you tank you get a lottery pick, the throw away years get us nothing.

The problem is money ...the administration is too tight ass to make the bold commitment. Can.t even get the indoor facility project off the ground. So the nickel and dime budget can’t pay an OC decent money to attract anyone.
It's hard to convince the entire campus community an IPF project and raising $30+M for it is worth it when you've laid off a ton of people in the last 2 years, budgets are frozen and you have to write an essay to get personnel replaced or even office supplies, or heaven forbid, a more expensive piece of equipment or computer programming that you know will enhance the lives of current students, faculty, and/or staff.

I'm all for TU building one to give the football, soccer, etc. another chip to recruit with. In due time though. It has to be the right time for TU as a whole.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT