ADVERTISEMENT

Detroit Game Thread

I am more than willing to give Konkol a bye this year considering what he was left with. The guy has energy. I have only been 100% happy about one other "recent" hire outside of our current coach and that was Danny. I have stated I thought Frank looked like a good grab until it became apparent 2015/16 was an anomaly and not the norm. I remember growing up (90's/00's) when we were a powerhouse as far as BBall was concerned, and I miss it.

I am more than willing to give Konkol a bye this year considering what he was left with. The guy has energy. I have only been 100% happy about one other "recent" hire outside of our current coach and that was Danny. I have stated I thought Frank looked like a good grab until it became apparent 2015/16 was an anomaly and not the norm. I remember growing up (90's/00's) when we were a powerhouse as far as BBall was concerned, and I miss it.
He'll do fine. Just give him a couple of years to retool the team. We'll be better next year, and better the next. Hopefully he'll be able to get a really good point guard off the portal, if he gets nothing else. With the three bigs and only a new point guard, we would be infinitely better. I'll wait on Konkol to decide on who to let go. Without a pg and bigs, it's really hard to tell who is worth keeping.

Reactions: t-townpod
I also am having a wait and see attitude on Konkle. He does some things I really like but his talent is limited. Betson looks good as does sebangle but the other new players are questionable. Have to get Betson more minutes.
Still concerned he was that great at La tech. Remember he had an NBA player on his team. Feels like he should have realized how little talent was left for him and been more aggressive nt he portal last spring and summer.a

I was helping run the booster club at a local high school when Manning was here. We had a lot of coaches come visit that season and he was by far the least energetic one. He must have known that he was on the way out soon.

Reactions: OKTornadoes
I was helping run the booster club at a local high school when Manning was here. We had a lot of coaches come visit that season and he was by far the least energetic one. He must have known that he was on the way out soon.
He was on the hot sear until mid-season his ncaa year.

I don't care where or when he is, I don't think you will see Mannings energy move up or down.

Sorry, I was referring to Konkol's energy 😅. I should have been more clear with that. As far as Danny, I was just stating I liked the hire at the time. But yes, I don't think Doug, Danny, or Frank were the type to show much "fire" at all. Frank's squat popping moments were funny, though. Some of us called Doug "MOJO WOJO" hoping it would catch on 😆 .

Nevada we lost this on our defense. We are so mismatched. Leads to open shots, offensive rebounds and lots of fouls when we get beat
You can always say something was bad but open shots don’t always mean shots made. When you talk about free throws though you’re not being guarded, it’s just you and the hoop. We make 75% of our free throws, which is our average as a team, and we’re 4 or 5 points up going into that last minute and we’re killing clock while they’re fouling us instead of the other way around.

As many have said, this year we shouldn’t look for wins we should look for improvement and I’ve been seeing improvement in returning players but it will take a while to break bad habits. Selebangue is a player and I suspect Carlous Williams will be the same next year. Chukwu, Knight and McWright are freshmen and as such will make mistakes as they get adjusted to the college game and college players, almost all of which are older and more experienced. I’ve already seen improvement from Chukwu and McWright. I can’t say that about Knight only because he started out playing at a higher level than the other two but he’s got a nice shot when he takes it and that was an excellent block he made last night. These will all be good solid players in the future.

I think the two incoming freshmen next year should be better than the three this year but even then they will need time to develop and adjust to the college game. I’m looking at the ‘24-‘25 season as the season where we should expect post season play when Konkel has mostly his own players. Also when looking at the play of the freshman keep in mind that Memphis had a 5-star, top-50 freshman last year that was performing so poorly he had to be benched until late in the season, development takes time.

As many have said, this year we shouldn’t look for wins we should look for improvement and I’ve been seeing improvement in returning players but it will take a while to break bad habits. Selebangue is a player and I suspect Carlous Williams will be the same next year. Chukwu, Knight and McWright are freshmen and as such will make mistakes as they get adjusted to the college game and college players, almost all of which are older and more experienced. I’ve already seen improvement from Chukwu and McWright. I can’t say that about Knight only because he started out playing at a higher level than the other two but he’s got a nice shot when he takes it and that was an excellent block he made last night. These will all be good solid players in the future.

I think the two incoming freshmen next year should be better than the three this year but even then they will need time to develop and adjust to the college game. I’m looking at the ‘24-‘25 season as the season where we should expect post season play when Konkel has mostly his own players. Also when looking at the play of the freshman keep in mind that Memphis had a 5-star, top-50 freshman last year that was performing so poorly he had to be benched until late in the season, development takes time.
Postseason play will also depend on how hard he hits the portal and who we can bring in. I expect significant improvement next year mainly due to the fact that some of our non contributing players will likely leave the program after this season.

# 11 just backed us down and scored. I hope in a couple of years no one will be able to do this simply because of height.

# 11 just backed us down and scored. I hope in a couple of years no one will be able to do this simply because of height.
Speaking of size, does anyone know what is wrong with Nikita? Sounds like a stress fracture or broken bone to be out this long. Not that we would have won any more games but his presence would have helped and as Chris had been pointing out about their shooting drills, he would be able to draw opponents big men out with the threat of making a 3.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
Speaking of size, does anyone know what is wrong with Nikita? Sounds like a stress fracture or broken bone to be out this long. Not that we would have won any more games but his presence would have helped and as Chris had been pointing out about their shooting drills, he would be able to draw opponents big men out with the threat of making a 3.
I fully believe that Nikita could have been that guy to get us the edge to win those games.

Oregon State and Charlotte we lost by 3. Nikita could have made the difference inside there. I believe he was hurt during the Oregon State game as he only collected 8 minutes. It was the second half when things went south. In those 8 minutes he had 4 rebounds and 2 points.

Murray State we lost by 17 but it was closer than that until the last few minutes. I believe that Nikita could have changed how they attacked us and how we attacked them and could have given us the edge there as well. Even without him if we didnt play hero ball then we had a shot.

Oral Roberts and Detroit Mercy both were winnable games without him and they could have been wins with him.

Oklahoma State was just not going to happen.

This is a talented group of young men. Nikita has the size we need down low to make game changing baskets and defend. This foot issue is a big deal watching this team struggle. Special K i believe is that X factor for us.

I am not saying that those become wins but they could very well have. If they were then we are talking something different.

I fully believe that Nikita could have been that guy to get us the edge to win those games.

Oregon State and Charlotte we lost by 3. Nikita could have made the difference inside there. I believe he was hurt during the Oregon State game as he only collected 8 minutes. It was the second half when things went south. In those 8 minutes he had 4 rebounds and 2 points.

Murray State we lost by 17 but it was closer than that until the last few minutes. I believe that Nikita could have changed how they attacked us and how we attacked them and could have given us the edge there as well. Even without him if we didnt play hero ball then we had a shot.

Oral Roberts and Detroit Mercy both were winnable games without him and they could have been wins with him.

This is a talented group of young men. Nikita has the size we need down low to make game changing baskets and defend. This foot issue is a big deal watching this team struggle. Special K i believe is that X factor for us.

I am not saying that those become wins but they could very well have. If they were then we are talking something different.
Ok I can buy one or two more wins with him playing. Maybe.

Ok I can buy one or two more wins with him playing. Maybe.
Charlotte, Detroit Mercy and Oregon State I believe fully they would have been wins with him in the game. Selebangue was exhausted because of the overuse. That would make us 5-3 right now which would be respectable. If we had beat Charlotte then we wouldn't have played Murray State, we would have played UMass and those guys are beatable. We could be right now at 6-2

Charlotte, Detroit Mercy and Oregon State I believe fully they would have been wins with him in the game. Selebangue was exhausted because of the overuse. That would make us 5-3 right now which would be respectable. If we had beat Charlotte then we wouldn't have played Murray State, we would have played UMass and those guys are beatable. We could be right now at 6-2
Maybe but we look messy and confused right now. But I will take any hope on offer!

Reactions: loca2874
So from what dlsnid says, we can look to get special k back around the Temple home game give or take a game. (@Tulane 1/4, Temple 1/10, @Wichita St 1/14) I'm hoping his recovery goes faster than normal, and we get him for @SMU on New Years day.

He still has boot on he thought end of December or 1st of January he would start practicing. By the way he speaks good English very understandable.

Injury definitely happened in the Oregon St game. He knew it right away. He’s been working out on the anti-gravity treadmill with the boot off in the past week, but it’s still gonna take some time.

Nikita is average at best, plays stiff .

Also, Selebangue cold play more of a power forward role if K was available. I agree we would be 6-2 or more likely 5-3

Reactions: loca2874
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT