ADVERTISEMENT

Defense

TUcandoit

I.T.S. Senior
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2011
I know most people are still very high on our defense this year. With that said losing 3 HUGE pieces from last year, 1 to NFL and then 2 potential all-conference shutdown corners...Basically our QB of the defense is gone and the captains of the secondary are gone. That's some huge roles to fill. I know we went out and got some Jucos but they are not on the same level. I do think our offense will take a huge step forward but I don't see the defense doing the same. In fact, I see them taking a slight step backwards.

Reactions: valeriejmc
How many times do I have to say it...yes those 3 players were good. Those three players became outstanding because we have a DL that rivals the best in the nation. And they're all back. And our DL is deep. Last year we rotated 3 full groups out these. I know wee have 2+. What makes them so good? 5 man OL cannot block our 3 man front. This leaves our LBs to run free and we have plenty of speed (and perhaps even more than last year) at LB. The pressure the DL gets on the QB makes it easier for the DBs to cover their guys. CBs only need to cover about 3-4 seconds before that QB is sacked or running for his life.

I have been making the bold prediction that our defense will be better this year than last year and I'm sticking with that.

I am going to look past your little attitude there.

With what you said, I get where you are coming from but even a great DL can and will be stood up when going against a team with a decent OL. We will be running into those and the lack of skill in the secondary is going to come into play a lot more often than you think,

Secondary will be fine as long as we don't have a buncha yuk-mouths out there like Allie Green, who make a great play only to have it negated b/c he's an a-hole talkin' trash. Maybe that's why Green and Evans left. Because the new secondary coach said from Day 1 that the trash-talking will stop now.

Secondary will be fine as long as we don't have a buncha yuk-mouths out there like Allie Green, who make a great play only to have it negated b/c he's an a-hole talkin' trash. Maybe that's why Green and Evans left. Because the new secondary coach said from Day 1 that the trash-talking will stop now.
Amen.

Green cost us so much with stupid penalties!

I am going to look past your little attitude there.

With what you said, I get where you are coming from but even a great DL can and will be stood up when going against a team with a decent OL. We will be running into those and the lack of skill in the secondary is going to come into play a lot more often than you think,
I'm going to disagree. It will be an issue in one game this year- Ohio State. Our DL absolutely man handled OSU's OL last year. Wright, Revels, etc. were in the backfield all game, even after Zaven went out. OSU never got untracked running the football and the only thing that worked for them later on was moving the QB on the snap and getting the quick hitters. TU's OL is the best in the AAC and our DL goes against them every practice. Cincinnati never figured it out last year. Their best plays in the conference championship games were a couple of ill advised turnovers, poor special teams kick coverage and some dumb (at the worst time) penalties we took.
Yeah the two CBs were good...but they also took a lot of bad penalties. In what I've seen of Davis and Fuller (the 2 guys I expect will the be the starting CBs), they are every bit as good and athletic at covering WRs as they guys that left. Davis may be more athletic than the two that left. And Fuller has enough talent to play in the SEC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT