ADVERTISEMENT

David Cason to OSU

I.I.

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
David Cason has been hired as an assistant at OSU and Scott Sutton apparently moved down to a newly created position. Even Barry Hinson is back in one of those made up positions too. OSU has too much money it seems and 13 suits on the bench + 8 bench players will need a whole new seating area at G-Iba.

And to think we can’t get rid of Toby to get someone decent on staff.

I thought Toby might get the open Director of Basketball Operations job, leaving us an open recruiting assistant position.

Reactions: TU 1978
Why the ranting on toby? Serious question. What is it that gives you angst.

Why the ranting on toby? Serious question. What is it that gives you angst.
He doesn't have the personality to hype a program and lure kids in. He may have the basketball knowledge but the best recruiters come with the ball IQ, knowledge, a plan for the kid, some hype and energy, and an ability to sell a program. They also need to have some credibility with the players. Toby is the equivalent of John Phillips and Steve Cooper in this discussion in that they lacked key components and skills needed to get quality players here (and let's not forget that Phillips was not able to ID actual D1 talent). This is why we have railed on Haith's inability to keep guys like Kim English and Schwartz on staff as these guys proved themselves to be up and coming recruiters. Heck the jury is still out on how effective Shea and Kwanzaa are on the recruiting trail because they've not really won any high profile recruiting battles.

Reactions: TU Sepp
He doesn't have the personality to hype a program and lure kids in. He may have the basketball knowledge but the best recruiters come with the ball IQ, knowledge, a plan for the kid, some hype and energy, and an ability to sell a program. They also need to have some credibility with the players. Toby is the equivalent of John Phillips and Steve Cooper in this discussion in that they lacked key components and skills needed to get quality players here (and let's not forget that Phillips was not able to ID actual D1 talent). This is why we have railed on Haith's inability to keep guys like Kim English and Schwartz on staff as these guys proved themselves to be up and coming recruiters. Heck the jury is still out on how effective Shea and Kwanzaa are on the recruiting trail because they've not really won any high profile recruiting battles.

Not sold on any of the staff but Toby is not there for personality or recruiting. Blame that on the other 3 assistants.
He is the knowledge base for Haith. Not trying to promote him just not sure why he is often singled out.
Also, Swartz and English left for money. Nothing to do with haith

Reactions: Bill Lowery
Not sold on any of the staff but Toby is not there for personality or recruiting. Blame that on the other 3 assistants.
He is the knowledge base for Haith. Not trying to promote him just not sure why he is often singled out.
They were glad Schwartz left. His recruiting class suuuuucked.

Toby’s job is a full time recruiting assistant. On the road. Unfortunately he has less coaching experience than Everyone in the AAC and I haven’t seen a recruit yet saying he is the one responsible for them choosing Tulsa. Haith knows Kim English type assistants but chose to promote a video coordinator. I hope he does well but have serious doubts.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
You sure about Toby's role? I really thought his job was game preparation with Seals and Johnson doing the recruiting. Could be wrong but Coach Lane has been coaching for 20+ years with 13-14 years with Haith. (Since his days coaching at Miami)

Four coaches are allowed by the NCAA to make off campus visits and evaluations: Haith , Johnson, Seals , and Lane. No other coaches are allowed except within one mile of campus. Here is Toby's Bio and you can decide for yourself if it compares with other AAC full assistants.

24 years overall – Assistant Coach, Tulsa (2020-pres.); Director of Scouting, Tulsa (2017-20); Video Coordinator, Tulsa (2014-16); Director of Basketball Operations, Missouri (2011-13); Associate Director of Basketball Operations, Miami (2007-10); Assistant Coach, Southeast Missouri State (2004-07); Video Coordinator, Oklahoma (2002-04); Assistant Coach, Central Oklahoma (2000-01). Yes he has been with Haith for a long time, but is that a good thing or a bad thing????

Not sure if good or bad however I remain much more concerned about the recruiting of everyone else you mentioned with Toby being my least concern because his responsibilities are more related to game planning. My post was about why we are singling out Toby , not displeasure with anyone on the staff. Not trying to defend or support but to me, Toby (who has very little charisma and is an introvert) is not a major concern. Finally, he is the # 3 assistant and I suspect his resume is similar to many of the #3 AAC assistants but I have not studied this.
As for Schwartz, not sure I agree they were glad to see him move on.

It's not Toby's fault. I just think he is mispositioned . We finally had a chance to land a big time recruiting assistant, a kids dad, or a JUCO or AAU coach who can land AAC players and we promote a mostly video coordinator just because he has been on his staff 20+ years. I put that blame on Haith, not Toby. I'll move on. It is a done deal and let's go try to win.

Reactions: t-townpod
Cason will probably out recruit our whole staff next year. And Dave ain’t that impressive in a home visit.

Bet we can get a Dave back from that era. Dave Wojcik. Who’s in? Hello? Hello?

Cason won't have any problems getting players enrolled in the Dexter Manley School of Higher Education....

It's not Toby's fault. I just think he is mispositioned . We finally had a chance to land a big time recruiting assistant, a kids dad, or a JUCO or AAU coach who can land AAC players and we promote a mostly video coordinator just because he has been on his staff 20+ years. I put that blame on Haith, not Toby. I'll move on. It is a done deal and let's go try to win.

I’ll agree with you on that.

Cason won't have any problems getting players enrolled in the Dexter Manley School of Higher Education....
Cason created his own problems at TU. Haith tried to hire but the past created a problem.

Cason created his own problems at TU. Haith tried to hire but the past created a problem.
I have no knowledge of what you are referring too. Just making a statement about how easy it is to get players into osu.

Not sure if good or bad however I remain much more concerned about the recruiting of everyone else you mentioned with Toby being my least concern because his responsibilities are more related to game planning. My post was about why we are singling out Toby , not displeasure with anyone on the staff.
I don’t have an opinion on Toby, but knowing that Shea and Kwanza aren’t doing a great job with recruiting, he shouldn’t have been promoted IMO. That position should’ve been filled by someone that can really recruit, I don’t know that we have anyone on the staff that’s good in that role.

That isn’t to say I blame Toby, he was offered the position. I would’ve accepted if it were me too.

Why was he promoted? I can’t answer it, but if I’m taking a guess it would be related to department spending and who would want to come coach under Haith knowing he may only be head coach one or two seasons?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT