ADVERTISEMENT

Daquan Jeffries

Bill Lowery

ITS Recruiting Analyst
Staff
Sep 29, 2001
Here are the slam dunk contestants.

1h

Introducing your 2019 College Slam Dunk Championship field!

Jordan Davis, N. Colorado Roberto Gallinat, Pacific Jamall Gregory, Jacksonville St Roderick Howell, NGU Khalil Iverson, Wisconsin DaQuan Jeffries, Tulsa Marlain Veal, SE Louisiana Josh Webster, Missouri St

Reactions: TU1NNJ
Regardless of what DMFJ does in the slam dunk contest, he will be 2nd fiddle to Presley Hudson from Central Michigan. She hit 77 out of 100 3pts through the 4 rounds of the 3pt contest (3 in the women’s contest and 1 in the Battle of the Sexes contest). At one point she hit 14 in a row! Technique wise, easily the best shooter I have ever seen.

I just got back from the hospital so I just found it on ESPN. Is the dunk contest over?

Sooo. Maybe we should have run more plays for Jeffries.

Also. Does this get him any attention for the draft ?

No.

He has NBA athleticism but probably isn’t tall enough to play his natural position. He could develop like Shaq Harrison but I don’t see that as very likely. He is a better shooter than Shaq tho.

No.

He has NBA athleticism but probably isn’t tall enough to play his natural position. He could develop like Shaq Harrison but I don’t see that as very likely. He is a better shooter than Shaq tho.
He would have to be a much better ball handler and outside shooter to play in the NBA. He played SF for us but would likely be a 2 in the NBA. He might get a look in the G League as a FA where he could hone his craft some and see if he can improve both those areas.

Sooo. Maybe we should have run more plays for Jeffries.

Also. Does this get him any attention for the draft ?
We should have run more stuff for Jeffries. The one play we seemed to run about 2x every game was the screen for him off the elbow and he would cut across the lane and get the pass. That ended up in a few posterizing dunks with that one hand statue of liberty jam.

After his nod to MJ in the semis, I was hoping to see another recreation of the full court run up, jump from the foul line. He had the type of hang time that he could have pulled it off.

That 3rd dunk was so MJ. The only thing MJs dunk had over DMFJs was a little more showmanship and MJ was just smooth as hell with every movement.

I could see him playing the 2. If he could develop into a 3 and D guy. Remember he’s got killer efficiency as far as 3P accuracy goes. I could see him being a crowder / Matthews type.

He’s the same size as them. He’s a good shooter. He’s more athletic. I just think he needs to work on his lateral foot speed and his dribbling to make it at the next level.

I could see him playing the 2. If he could develop into a 3 and D guy. Remember he’s got killer efficiency as far as 3P accuracy goes. I could see him being a crowder / Matthews type
Crowder is either 6'8 or 6'9. Make is easier to move him between the 3 and the 4 and guard either position. DMFJ is 6'5. He would be a decent option as a 2 for someone IF he could handle the ball a little better. Paul George is 6'7 and plays the 3 for the Thunder, can guard 4 positions, and handles the ball as well or better than most PGs in the NBA. Jeffries shot is OK and probably serviceable for the NBA with some dedicated work...he would need to be a much better ball handler. Remember the NBA doesn't really play a true zone defense and a lot of the offense is predicated on being able to create your own shot or get to the rim.

Jeffries is just about the right size to play the 2 guard in the NBA. 6'5" is the average shooting guard height in the league. There's been a number of guys who are slightly taller playing that spot, but there's quite a few at 6'5" or shorter that did well. Wade is 6'4". Ray Allen is 6'5". The only true negative of Daquan's shot is that it went down a bit with higher volume, and that he hasn't shown NBA range so far... but I think he could develop that. He does make up for that with better defense than a lot of the league's current crop.

He's taller than:
Buddy Hield
Lou WIlliams
JJ Reddick
Eric Gordon
Dwayne Wade
Bryan Forbes (San Antonio)
Gary Harris
Oladipo

About the same size as:
Bazemore
Trier
Beal
and many more

His height won't be his downfall if he doesn't make the league. It will be his foot speed and his ball handling. But those are two things that I feel like he could improve on given the opportunity. Ball handling is a skill that can actually be taught.

Jeffries is just about the right size to play the 2 guard in the NBA. 6'5" is the average shooting guard height in the league. There's been a number of guys who are slightly taller playing that spot, but there's quite a few at 6'5" or shorter that did well. Wade is 6'4". Ray Allen is 6'5". The only true negative of Daquan's shot is that it went down a bit with higher volume, and that he hasn't shown NBA range so far... but I think he could develop that. He does make up for that with better defense than a lot of the league's current crop.

He's taller than:
Buddy Hield
Lou WIlliams
JJ Reddick
Eric Gordon
Dwayne Wade
Bryan Forbes (San Antonio)
Gary Harris
Oladipo

About the same size as:
Bazemore
Trier
Beal
and many more

His height won't be his downfall if he doesn't make the league. It will be his foot speed and his ball handling. But those are two things that I feel like he could improve on given the opportunity. Ball handling is a skill that can actually be taught.
And that's where the G league comes into play for him if some team can see that in him. That's exactly what Shaq did before the Suns signed him to his 1st 10-day contract. I actually think the guys who don't get drafted and are only signed to the G-league contract, not the NBA contract and assigned to the G-league, are the ones more likely to make it in the NBA.

Reactions: astonmartin708
His dunks were pretty damn amazing. This definitely shines a small ray of sunshine on an otherwise disappointing sports year. I wish we could have had him for 4 years, but I’m glad we had him for 2!

Reactions: Gold*
This is literally more talk about Jefferies in NBA than entire league worth of scouts and front office people will dedicate to subject. Hope he proves me wrong.

He’s a hell of a player. Like some our recent great players, we were able to get him because he played post in high school and didn’t develop the way he could have. He just doesn’t have the lateral quickness and speed to be an NBA guard. He’s extremely talented athletically and will make money overseas. That should be good enough.

Reactions: TU4ever2
This is literally more talk about Jefferies in NBA than entire league worth of scouts and front office people will dedicate to subject. Hope he proves me wrong.

He’s a hell of a player. Like some our recent great players, we were able to get him because he played post in high school and didn’t develop the way he could have. He just doesn’t have the lateral quickness and speed to be an NBA guard. He’s extremely talented athletically and will make money overseas. That should be good enough.
I don't think he'll go the overseas route until he knows he can't make it in the league. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't get an invite to somebody's training camp this offseason. I think he'll try to go Shaq's route first... then fall back to the overseas opportunity if that's what's left.

The Atlanta Hawks scout I sat next to in the Cincy game liked Quan a lot. He asked me what I thought about him. He liked Quan a lot better than Cincy's star player.

So I think Quan gets some type of shot to show what he can do. He is on their radar, at least.

Jeffries is 6’ 5”, but he plays much taller. I think he’s going to surprise some people.

I wonder about his ball handling. He was not asked to do a lot of it at TU. But we was not sloppy with the ball. Not enough of a sample to tell for sure.

Would have been nice to have seen him play in Richardson’s, Tarkanian’s, or Tubbs’ systems back before the NCAA decided that college basketball needed to be as boring as soccer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT