ADVERTISEMENT

Danny Manning Fired at Wake Forest

I.I.

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Another TU coach who thought the pasture was greener but found out differently. He should have asked Buzz Peterson and Steve Robinson. He will probably sit on the Kansas bench for the next few years with Norm Roberts .

Another TU coach who thought the pasture was greener but found out differently. He should have asked Buzz Peterson and Steve Robinson. He will probably sit on the Kansas bench for the next few years with Norm Roberts .
I thought they'd have been done with him a year or three ago.

Reactions: HuffyCane

He could have had a good career at Tulsa but seemed to be “above” coaching at little ole Tulsa from the start. The Tulsa job always was just a stepping stone for him.CUSA to the ACC was too much too soon and possibly just too much at any time.

I do wish him the best but I.I. Is correct—he’ll probably sit next to Norm for a while and like Norm, maybe a long while.

He mostly did right by us. There was a lot of good energy back then. Wish he hadn’t of whimped out on AAC.

It’s more of a gray area with Robinson and what Buzz did is so shameful it still haunts him.

Danny and Tubby need to go out to eat and discuss who is picking up the tab from their latest buyouts.

He mostly did right by us. There was a lot of good energy back then. Wish he hadn’t of whimped out on AAC.

It’s more of a gray area with Robinson and what Buzz did is so shameful it still haunts him.
Agree. He lacked the chip on the shoulder of “I have to prove myself” that nearly all memorable Tulsa coaches have. I never got the feeling that he thought he was too good for us, my impression, speaking briefly with him just a few times, was that he had such a high personal confidence in himself that he felt he would be successful somewhere else regardless of what opportunities TU gave him. We were a pit stop, not a stepping stone and not a step down.

Reactions: TU 1978 and Gold*
I thought Manning could have had a great career at TU.

I ran into his uber-short assistant coach at Reasors his first year. He said Danny wasn’t worried about money...he wanted to win. They thought they could win C-USA every year.

To me, the turning point was concessions the University wouldn’t make for him.

There were two Juco big men (I think on the West Coast) that Danny badly wanted...but needed to bend the rules to get them. Didn’t happen. He was super pissed...and I don’t think he ever became “unpissed”.

I think Bill Self told him TU would support scenarios like this (David Shelton), but they didn’t.

I see ESPN's Borzello is predicting Wes Miller of UNC Greensboro or Steve Forbes of ETSU as replacements. This is about the time of year I think Self left for Illinois and we picked Buzz.

Another TU coach who thought the pasture was greener but found out differently. He
should have asked Buzz Peterson and Steve Robinson. He will probably sit on the
Kansas bench for the next few years with Norm Roberts .

I'm glad he went when he did....I never thought he was playing with a full set of
keys, and he thought TU was the Ghetto of basketball destinations....Piss on him
and the Jayhawk he rode in on.....

You really wonder if Bill Self has any need or room for him....What is he going to
contribute?? He has proven he can't coach a lick......

He's never been 'great' any place else, and he simply didn't like the basketball
situation at Tulsa....I'm not sure where his greatness mojo would have come
from.......He's really been a coaching disaster...

He's never been 'great' any place else, and he simply didn't like the basketball
situation at Tulsa....I'm not sure where his greatness mojo would have come
from.......He's really been a coaching disaster...

Kansas will use him for PR and handshaking the recruits telling them he can get them to the pros easier. But we all know now his limited capabilities................

He could have had a good career at Tulsa but seemed to be “above” coaching at little ole Tulsa from the start. The Tulsa job always was just a stepping stone for him.CUSA to the ACC was too much too soon and possibly just too much at any time.

I do wish him the best but I.I. Is correct—he’ll probably sit next to Norm for a while and like Norm, maybe a long while.
It’s interesting that your impression of him is so different from mine. But you spend more time close to the program and more importantly know so much more about basketball.

I ran into his uber-short assistant coach at Reasors his first year. He said Danny wasn’t worried about money...he wanted to win. They thought they could win C-USA every year.

To me, the turning point was concessions the University wouldn’t make for him.

There were two Juco big men (I think on the West Coast) that Danny badly wanted...but needed to bend the rules to get them. Didn’t happen. He was super pissed...and I don’t think he ever became “unpissed”.

I think Bill Self told him TU would support scenarios like this (David Shelton), but they didn’t.
He also had a transfer from Auburn on campus who was ready to play and couldn’t get cleared by the school. I got to play a bit of pick up ball with him in the rec center.

That player had some other issues. Did he ever make it on anywhere? I think he was done in less than a week.

Cedrick McAfee. He was briefly enrolled after getting kicked off the team at Auburn. Went on to average 4ppg at South Plains JC that year instead. Manning was saved from himself in that case.

Reactions: Gold*
Manning really didn’t do much in recruiting after the first year. That last class kind of stunk. Curtis, Ray, and Shaq were good players. Anyone could have recruited Shaq and Ray. Curtis never lived up to the hype.

People forget how much of that team was made up of Wojcik leftovers like Swannegan and players who stayed on because no one else came after them, like Juice and Wright. That was what was fun about that team.

Manning was just another Naked Emperor.

Perhaps he, Buzz, and SR can get together and discuss the skills of their tailors.

Hell, I’d take a D’Andre Wright, A Rashad Smith or even a Zeldric King right now. We just need another bigish body.

Zeldric King? I raise you an Oswaldo Gonzlaez, Aliou Keita, and JT Ivie.

Taking a big for the sake of having a big is a sucker’s play. I’d rather have good players.
It's going to be hard to land either of those this late in the process. lol

Also, only one of those guys was a bad player per se.

Glad I folded early. Would have lost big time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT