ADVERTISEMENT

CP/Chelsea Era

quincy101

I.T.S. Position Coach
Nov 4, 2007
CP didn't hesitate to join his new team(in Japan, no less) very soon after GC Final. His first action was as a sub in 2nd half in Chelsea's 1-0 loss to Japan's top club team couple days ago. Nice reviews from Brit press for his short stint. For anyone interested, Chelsea v Barcelona is on ESPN2 this Tuesday, 0530. Should be some good futbol whether you like Chelsea or not & whether CP gets to play or not. BTW: A few Chelsea fans are already pi$$ed with Frank Lampard for daring to tie & then lose 1st 2 games. Calling him a traitor. Incredible!

Last edited:
OK fine, so no one was interested. Anyway, Chelsea beats a Barca B team(no Messi, Luis(the Vampire) Suarez or (Gore) Vidal), 2-0, with CP getting the start & playing for 60 mins. Showed his pace & improving technique for several chances, although finishing sucked. Lampard seemed to be using him all over the pitch. It seemed like he was on the left side or center during the attack & right side or center for defensive midfield duty. Surely he will stick(no loan outs) after $73 million from Abramovich & the way he's played since joining team(2 wks ago).

Chelsea fans are fickle. They'll want him to be Eden Hazard right away and if he isn't they'll turn on him. Hopefully he gets a little stronger because he's going to have guys like Virgil Van Dijk and Vincent Kompany trying to disarticulate him. Chelsea as a club still hasn't fully recovered from what Mourinho did to them. He did the same thing to Man U. Why does anyone think he's a good coach? He's like the PL equivalent of Bobby Valentine. You have one good post season run and now everyone thinks you're a great coach when actually everything you touch withers and dies.

Reactions: quincy101
I'm well aware. I'm an idiot savant when it comes to baseball history.
I think most people on this board could manage an MLB team as competently as most managers out there. You either have the players to win or you don't. There are very few times that I will ever place blame on a manager. Here are a few that stick out with me:
1) John McNamara leaves Bill Buckner in late in the game in Game 6 of the 1986 World Series. The entire season Dave Stapleton was the defensive replacement in the 8th and 9th inning of games.
2) Grady Little- he was just a freaking dumb ass when it came to understanding his pitching staff and why the Sox blew the 2003 ALCS against the Yankees. A good friend often refers to him as "Grady Gump"
3) John Farrell-for a supposed brilliant pitching coach, he really had no idea how to handle a staff late in games. Yes he won a WS with the Sox but it should have been near impossible to lose with that team.
4) Alex Cora-is starting to piss me off. Yeah, his pitching staff has been downright awful most of the season and his AL MVP from last year is not nearly as productive as he was last year, SO, when you find yourself in position to win a game in extra innings, make the right freaking decision. For instance, 2 weeks ago, Sox are in the 11th inning at home against the Dodgers. Jackie Bradley Jr, who is barely hitting his weight, leads off with a double in the bottom of the inning. Marco Hernandez comes up (#9 hitter in the lineup). Easy call right? You sacrifice and you get JBJ 3rd knowing you have the reigning AL MVP up next followed by one of the leading hitters in baseball in Devers up after Betts, followed by the AL All Star SS and team leader in HR and RBI, then followed by the AL batting and RBI champion from last year. No bunt, JBJ thrown out at 3rd on a fielder's choice.

Lol and you still got four rings in what, 15 years? Guh lawd! I'd be pretty happy with that.

Lol and you still got four rings in what, 15 years? Guh lawd! I'd be pretty happy with that.
I am, but the McNamara stupidity and the Grady Gump stupidity prolonged our suffering, although in the sense of the latter, only a year. Farrell was a bad hire and they chased him to Toronto to bring him back. In all honesty, the Valentine hire never made sense to anyone outside of the GM (and I think it was between the Theo Epstein era and the Dombrowski era. Valentine was just never a fit in Boston for a number of reasons and the fans and the media all knew that and regularly talked about it.

But yes, 4 titles in 15 years after going 86 without one. But they seem to follow up their title runs with extremely subpar seasons. And while 10 games over .500 is far from awful, it's not great especially when you consider there was NO TURNOVER in the primary lineup. They should have handed Joe Kelly a blank check and said fill in the amount, 5 years.

2 goals today plus he drew a penalty in their match against one of the German Red Bull sides (not Leipzig though).

2 goals today plus he drew a penalty in their match against one of the German Red Bull sides (not Leipzig though).
RB Salzburg coached by former MLS great and USMNT fringe player Jesse Marsch. They are in the Austrian Bundesliga, not Germany. This was a preseason game against a team slightly better than DC United without Rooney. Still fun to watch tho. Happy for Jesse.

Last edited:
RB Salzburg coached by former MLS great and USMNT fringe player Jesse Marsch. They are in the Austrian Bundesliga, not Germany. This was a preseason game against a team slightly better than DC United without Rooney. Still fun to watch tho. Happy for Jesse.
I knew the Red Bull side wasn't all that great, most of these preseason exhibitions for these squads are probably less competitive than if they just played their 1st side vs their reserves. Still, CP played and moved well and it looks like he is being used in the role formerly occupied by Eden Hazard. We'll see how it all plays out in the next couple of weeks when the EPL season kicks off.

It was Chelsea vs Liverpool today for a trophy-the UEFA Super Cup final. In the first half, CP-who got the start on the left side-slots a ball thru a crowd to Olivier Giroud who scores. Very nice assist. A few minutes later, CP gets a thru ball, dribbles past 2 defenders & slots it home in the left corner. But wait! The ref & linesmen, er...linespersons,er....lineswomen were all female. The gal on the left touch line calls CP offsides-no goal. Bogus call. ( I know, my mysoginy is showing again, right Chito, right Leon)?

The match goes to OT periods & the same gal completely blows an off side call & Liverpool scores. This scintillating match went to PK's. Bla will be happy to know that Salah hits the 5th PK & Chelsea's #9-a guy named Tammie?? misses & the Liverpudlians win it. CP was subbed out in the 71st but as well as he did, it's just a taste of very good things to come for the kid.

It was Chelsea vs Liverpool today for a trophy-the UEFA Super Cup final. In the first half, CP-who got the start on the left side-slots a ball thru a crowd to Olivier Giroud who scores. Very nice assist. A few minutes later, CP gets a thru ball, dribbles past 2 defenders & slots it home in the left corner. But wait! The ref & linesmen, er...linespersons,er....lineswomen were all female. The gal on the left touch line calls CP offsides-no goal. Bogus call. ( I know, my mysoginy is showing again, right Chito, right Leon)?

The match goes to OT periods & the same gal completely blows an off side call & Liverpool scores. This scintillating match went to PK's. Bla will be happy to know that Salah hits the 5th PK & Chelsea's #9-a guy named Tammie?? misses & the Liverpudlians win it. CP was subbed out in the 71st but as well as he did, it's just a taste of very good things to come for the kid.
Your Chelsea fandom is showing its bias. The 2nd LFC goal was not offside. Yes, the LFC player was in front of the 2 closest defender but there was a defender (near the bottom of the screen) that clearly kept him onside. Clear case of a not so cohesive backline not moving together as a unit. What was garbage was the PK call against Adrian. "Tammy" dragged his foot and went down with little to no contact which didn't affect the play. Actuality is he should have been carded for simulation.

And yes, Adrian came off his line about 2-3 inches slightly before Abraham drilled the ball into the middle. I think VAR is going to end up pissing fans off and destroying the flow of the game like we see in the NFL. The rule on GKs is stupid. They're already at an extreme disadvantage during PKs (my son is a GK and his GK coaches tell him to find any advantage he can during PKs). I'm not sure why VAR needs to be brought into it at all as there is an AR specifically assigned to watch the GK and making sure he/she is on the line at the time the PK is taken. If they're going to hold the GK to that standard, then they need to make the PK taker not change pace with his step up or run as it is meant to deceive. Much like a basketball referee can take a FT away if the shooter changes his/her normal shot to throw off a potential rebounder (rarely see this called but it can be called).

BTW, I thought Pulisic played really well. I like Mount as he also plays with a good pace in the same role and might be a little more durable than Pulisic right now. Chelsea seems to have a lot of interchangeable parts on the attacking side of the ball right now. I expect Chelsea to be a top 4 team again this season in EPL. I think they will battle ManU until the end for the 4th UCL spot. IMO, City, LFC, and Spurs are a clear top 3. Arsenal could surprise if they can integrate their new backline. Interestingly enough, Ozil wasn't even dressed for their opening game last week. I hear rumors he might be headed stateside and MLS for the start of next season (February/March).

And LFC might be stronger than last year and you can see their confidence growing. Any team comfortable enough to play a 4-3-3 and can create an attack from the back like LFC can will always have success. Having confidence in the backline to stop attacks frees Salah/Mane/Firmino up to do their thing.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Pulisic came on in the 66' as a sub for Chelsea today in their UCL match vs Ajax. The switch turned things in favor of Chelsea and in the 86' Pulisic made a great move and set up Chelsea's only goal which turned out to be the winner. Maybe he gets more PT moving forward.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
CP came on as a sub in previous Chelsea match & did well, also. Don't know if it's enough for Frankie but we can hope. BTW, I noticed Huffy's comments above on Jesse Marsch coaching Salzburg & had completely forgotten about them. Speaking of Huffy, would you please autograph my new "Huffy" ballcap if I buy another ticket to Memphis?

CP came on as a sub in previous Chelsea match & did well, also. Don't know if it's enough for Frankie but we can hope. BTW, I noticed Huffy's comments above on Jesse Marsch coaching Salzburg & had completely forgotten about them. Speaking of Huffy, would you please autograph my new "Huffy" ballcap if I buy another ticket to Memphis?
He should have had a 2nd assist. A great play by an Ajax defender kept the ball out of the goal as Pulisic drew the GK and 2 defenders to him with a break up the right side of the box. He then pushed a nice pass to the spot where a Chelsea player crushed a shot and only a desperate back side slide from an Ajax defender kept it from being another one on the board for Chelsea.

Perhaps coming in as a sub when your team did nothing prior to your stepping foot on the pitch reduces the anxiety and stress a little. Think maybe Pulisic presses too hard to make something happen at times both at Chelsea and for the USMNT. He looked a lot more comfortable yesterday and let the game come to him. It's tough for a 21 year old kid to get signed or dubbed a saviour and have that pressure heaped on him. When Chelsea signed him, all the news headlines instantly claimed he would replace Hazard's role for Chelsea (and Hazard hadn't even made his transfer yet, just speculated to be moving to Real). With the USMNT, it was now HIS team and he was going to lead the US back to the WC.

Pulisic with 3 goals today against Burnley. Can Lampard keep him out of the lineup moving forward? He is the most technically skilled of the Chelsea forwards and the most creative when it comes to passing to set up a teammate in the attack. Mount, Abraham, and Willan may have stronger shots but Pulisic is the most refined of the 4 of them. (Haven’t seen Ross Barkley for Chelsea today)

Much happy for CP. You could kind of see it coming recently with a couple assists in part-time duty but wow! a hat-trick to break into the goal scoring column and a full ninety. Is Lampard a genius for starting him today or an idiot for not playing him more in the last 7-8 games? BTW, the youngest Chelsea player in club history to get the trick.

Last edited:
Much happy for CP. You could kind of see it coming recently with a couple assists in part-time duty but wow! a hat-trick to break into the goal scoring column and a full ninety. Is Lampard a genius for starting him today or an idiot for not playing him more in the last 7-8 games? BTW, the youngest Chelsea player in club history to get the trick.

Maybe he just needed time to acclimate to premier play? Seems giving him the game in smaller chunks let Pulsic settle in and find his fit. Now the question is can he maintain his strong form as he gets more time and the season takes its physical toll on him.

Dest chose the USMNT!
Apparently Berhalter went to the Chelsea-Ajax game last week and spent a good deal of time with Dest the following day. ESPN commentators were talking about it during the LAFC/LA Galaxy MLS game on Thursday night (BTW, that game was freaking insane). I'm surprised, but not. I think Dest would have been limited in his playing time with the Dutch, at least for the near future. Choosing the US gives him a better prospect of playing often and sooner. Don't forget, the Dutch didn't qualify for the last world cup either. You think US fans are pissed....?

Turns out to be the game winner after a dubious PK for Watford. CP's "habit" of attacking the net on EVERY shot from the opposite side or middle is finally paying off. Didn't happen for him at Dortmund but now........ I just marvel at those runs into the box looking for a rebound or a pass.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Turns out to be the game winner after a dubious PK for Watford. CP's "habit" of attacking the net on EVERY shot from the opposite side or middle is finally paying off. Didn't happen for him at Dortmund but now........ I just marvel at those runs into the box looking for a rebound or a pass.
CP got subbed out around the 65' (hard to tell since DirectTV was having an issue with their satellite that carried NBCSN, ESPN, and EPSN2 on Saturday). Right after that, as much as I could tell, Chelsea struggled to hold possession as Watford pushed their press a little higher. I think 2 things led to that...1) being down 2 goals and 2) No fear of anyone being left 1v1 with Pulisic's technical skill and pace. The combination of pace he has combined with an exquisite technical skill on the ball is a rare combination.

That would be 5 goals in Chelsea's last three(EPL games). It looked like he dinged his hip bone sliding into the post after his header. Reports are that he will be OK. BTW, does anyone else think Chelsea, a team a lot of people hated forever, me included, has changed completely under Lampard? For example, today's starting 11 was the youngest average age in EPL history. And that includes Willian-age 31.

But Frankie has these youngsters playing a fast, attacking style that kind of overwhelms opponents. Very entertaining stuff. And the Yank has announced his presence to the world of futbol.

Last edited:
That would be 5 goals in Chelsea's last three(EPL games). It looked like he dinged his hip bone sliding into the post after his header. Reports are that he will be OK. BTW, does anyone else think Chelsea, a team a lot of people hated forever, me included, has changed completely under Lampard? For example, today's starting 11 was the youngest average age in EPL history. And that includes Willian-age 31.

But Frankie has these youngsters playing a fast, attacking style that kind of overwhelms opponents. Very entertaining stuff. And the Yank has announced his presence to the world of futbol.
I think Chelsea started to be hated other than the die hard Chelsea fans) when Mourinho took over. That dude is so arrogant. He completely destroyed them before being sacked. They're a lot more fun to watch these days.

Mourinho also destroyed Man U. Ole is trying but it's a tough road for them right now as well. And Arsenal is struggling too. I don't see either Arsenal or United finishing in the top 7 this season to even get into Europe League next year. United went from a lot of know players to a bunch of guys I've never heard of. Maguire is about the only one I've heard of on the back line. They're a mess overall in the MF. I like Rashford as a player and James seems serviceable but the team really lacks an overall identity. And let's not get started on Arsenal. They go out and buy all these young players and then don't play them. They've got Ozil not even dressing out for most games and then Emery complains about how rusty his game looks.

But, I don't care. I'm a Liverpool fan. I am firmly of the belief that they want teams to high press and attack because the second they get the ball away from you, it's like 3 passes and a shot on goal. The 2nd goal they scored against City happened so fast on the counter I had to rewatch it several times to realize what had happened. OxChamb with a diagonal into the attacking half to Henderson who took like 2 touches before hitting an absolutely PERFECT cross that was headed in by Salah. Whole play took like 7-8 seconds from the time they dispossessed City of the ball. Tremendously entertaining soccer.

It appears CP's hip ding will keep him out of the 2 MNT matches.Is it Canada & Jamaica? Anyway, one can only hope he retains his streak with Chelsea in a week.

Poor Beer?halter. Dude just lost his only world-class player & captain. Must win both to advance in tourney.

It appears CP's hip ding will keep him out of the 2 MNT matches.Is it Canada & Jamaica? Anyway, one can only hope he retains his streak with Chelsea in a week.

Poor Beer?halter. Dude just lost his only world-class player & captain. Must win both to advance in tourney.
I am doubting CPs hip-ding is the real reason he's not on the squad this week. My guess is he doesn't like playing for Berhalter. Probably the same reason Nagbe has turned down several call-ups. My guess is it isn't limited to just a handful of guys who don't like Berhalter or his style, but most won't say anything and will just represent the colors. It will take someone like CP saying he won't play for USMNT as long as Berhalter is the coach because he doesn't feel like it's moving in a positive direction.

Well, well,well.....Signs of life from the MNT. Two well-taken goals by Zardes. Bout time! And without CP. As it turns out, they didn't need him & CP gets to recover from his hip ding(wink, wink!) & continue his tear in the EPL for Chelsea.

Just wonder if playing a full 90 & helping Chelsea win is almost or actually more important to him than playing(right now) for the MNT. Either is fine with me. I'm sure that will change when WC qualifying comes around.

Last edited:
Well, well,well.....Signs of life from the MNT. Two well-taken goals by Zardes. Bout time! And without CP. As it turns out, they didn't need him & CP gets to recover from his hip ding(wink, wink!) & continue his tear in the EPL for Chelsea.

Just wonder if playing a full 90 & helping Chelsea win is almost or actually more important to him than playing(right now) for the MNT. Either is fine with me. I'm sure that will change when WC qualifying comes around.
You might be right. Not having the same pressure on him to do everything at Chelsea May let him play a little looser and be more creative. He’s not right and not trying to be perfect. He has to be perfect for the US on most nights.

CP has "recovered" from his hip thing & will play Sat. vs Man City on the road. A couple of assists or better will suit me fine.

CP is up to 6 goals & 2 assists in last 5 games including Ch. League today vs Valencia on the road. His goal was needed for a point. Chelsea beats Lille(Fr) at home in a couple weeks & they're thru to round of 16.

It's weird. CP, on rare occasions, has good chances but can't put them away. He had a half-dozen chances vs West Ham, should have scored at least twice, had a couple saved by the keeper & went high or just wide. Oh well, Frankie surely realizes that many shots will soon start going in (again).

It's weird. CP, on rare occasions, has good chances but can't put them away. He had a half-dozen chances vs West Ham, should have scored at least twice, had a couple saved by the keeper & went high or just wide. Oh well, Frankie surely realizes that many shots will soon start going in (again).
I think Frank is realizing that Pulisic will make this team go, not Mount. Pulisic actually tracks back and helps on defense and then will make a 60 yard run to put pressure on the D. Mount is a little bit more static in that regards.

Pulisic is also one of the quickest in the world with the ball at his feet. Mbappe and Aguero come to mind. Pulisic just puts defenders on their heels and his technical savvy in tight spaces is one of those things that defenders have nightmares about. From those spots Pulisic almost always gets a dangerous ball into the box...it's whether or not Chelsea (or the USMNT) have a runner in the right place at the end of it.

Those stats will make your eyes cross & your head spin trying to figure them out. The commentary, however, puts those stats in context & CP in elite company in the EPL. He's always attacked the net when shots come in, looking for rebounds. Now, he's drifting in to the center looking for passes and his teammates are finding him. How cool is it that Frankie stated he may play CP at the 9 if Tammie's injury lingers. Would love to see it. If he just stays healthy his star will undoubtedly keep rising.

Reactions: TU_BLA
It's also clear that Berhalter's style should be adjusted to take advantage of a player of CP's skill. Everything should come through CP, the same way Barca went through Messi, Real went through Ronaldo. From the middle and someone of CP's abilities, the defense tends to cluster closer to the center of the field. CP could find any of a number of players wide and that's when the real fun begins as defenders start to scramble. 2 defenders leave the center to cover the ball, leaving space.

It's also apparent CP has the freedom to work inside or outside at Chelsea. I always tend to look out wide left for CP since that is where Lampard had him at the start of the season and where Berhalter has exiled him. Last couple of Chelsea games though, CP is working inside to outside and finding little gaps between defenders. As EPL teams take him more seriously as a threat, the gapes between the defenders lessens as they focus on stopping him...this leaves wide patches of space for teammates. Even when Pulisic doesn't touch the ball, he is impacting the play with his movement.

(BTW, every youth coach should force their front line players to watch Pulisic move without and away from the ball. It's textbook good.)

Well, in the last 3 EPL matches, CP couldn't kick it into the English Channel if he was standing at the top of the White Cliffs of Dover. No goals, no assists & 2 losses & 1 win. He's certainly looked dangerous but that's it. Hope it's just bad luck & he snaps out of it soon or it may be Pine Time again for him. It worked the last time.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT