ADVERTISEMENT

Conventional wisdom?

aTUfan

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Apr 18, 2011
la la land
I don't understand.

The more the "main stream" media reports how everyone hates Trump, the higher his poll numbers go.

Trump couldn't win this election if he were the only one running. However, he can win if he runs against Hillary.

Along those lines, Hillary has refused to debate Bernie on June 7th ahead of the California primary. Trump said last night that he would take Hillary's place and debate Bernie if all proceeds would be donated to charity. Not sure who that benefits (other than Bernie) but I thought the offer was interesting. Certainly not something a politician would propose.

Trump couldn't win this election if he were the only one running. However, he can win if he runs against Hillary.

Along those lines, Hillary has refused to debate Bernie on June 7th ahead of the California primary. Trump said last night that he would take Hillary's place and debate Bernie if all proceeds would be donated to charity. Not sure who that benefits (other than Bernie) but I thought the offer was interesting. Certainly not something a politician would propose.
That's a PR stunt by Trump, plus it makes him look good since HRC refused the debate. I think the one thing Trump will underestimate is how divisive his rhetoric is. Either HRC or Sanders will use that against him. You don't really see protests at their rallies getting to the level of violence and being dangerous. I think Trump has an uphill battle against either of the Dems, mostly because he has alienated the majority of the minority vote, women, and those in poverty. Since it seems inevitable that HRC will be the Dem candidate, I think you will see Sanders throw his support behind her and implore his supporters to do the same. I'm not sure the different factions of the GOP will do the same for Trump.

The GOP will eventually unite behind Trump due to one factor....Hillary. Trump will have to get some outside help (terrorist attackm etc..) imo to win in November. Hillary is an awful candidate who is plagued by dishonesty and scandals. That said...I do think she beats Trump in November although my confidence level is down from a month ago.

I really don't see conservatives protesting or attempting to prevent liberal speech period. Milo Yiannopoulos (Breitbart.com) was giving a speech yesterday in Chicago when BLM members stormed the stage and took swing at him. The anti-speech violence has gotten out of hand.

Last edited:
If I was looking to find reasons for supporting either Trump or Hillary their level would be below my ability to detect.

Gotta love CNN. Their headlines the last two days "TRUMP WILL DEBATE BERNIE FOR $10 MILLION". Then buried at the end of the story is a single sentence stating that the money will be donated to charity.

I've wondered if the pictures and videos of the violent Trump protestors carry Mexican flags, burning American flags, throwing objects, etc....actually helps Trump with the middle of the road American voter.

Last edited:
It is fortunate that they had the legal and financial resources and the time to accomplish that.

I believe the richest and most powerful country in the world has a moral obligation to reduce barriers to making a new life here. Just like I believe the middle and upper class has a moral obligation to provide safety nets for the most vulnerable populations of citizens. That whole Christian duty thing that so many conservatives can easily turn off outside of church.

I believe the richest and most powerful country in the world has a moral obligation to reduce barriers to making a new life here.

I have to disagree. It is the moral obligation of our government to look after the interests of our own citizens. There have been times when it was very much in US interests to allow people to enter this country. There can be a discussion as to whether or not it is in the interest of our citizens to do so now. If it is, fine.

But we are often reminded that we are 4 or 5 percent of the world's population. Can we look out for the interests of the other 95-96 percent when doing so is contrary to those of our own people?

As far as the percentage of immigrants working, consider that very few are extremely old, handicapped or serious ill. Many that come here illegally travel a difficult course to get here.

I'll offer a solution. Don't blame people who try to get here. Don't build a taller wall. Punish those who hire people who are here illegally. Make it unprofitable for a business to hire illegals.

Last edited:
Read this link for an entirely different reason, but the labor force participation rates for immigrants vs natural citizens are really eye opening.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ent-dont-blame-the-economy/?ex_cid=538twitter

Interesting stat especially considering that immigrant families on average receive $5,400 a year in federal aid. That's $1,000 more than non-immigrant families. Those figures don't include the extra money necessary for remedial English classes for non-English speaking children.

This isn't a pro or anti-immigration statement rather a look at the cost of immigration since we are looking at immigrant participation in the work force. Unfortunately, most are uneducated and unskilled. Most are extremely hard workers (many native born Americans would be well served to copy their example). The ones I've known fit the above description.

I don't believe an open invitation to an unlimited number of unskilled, low educated and non-English speaking immigrants is a wise policy. Our social services and schools are already strapped. Large number of people with these characteristics places even more pressure (costs) on these services. We also have shrinking natural resources. More people the more demand for a finite resource. Changes should be made to immigration. Just not the changes the Administration desires. Don't be confused...this is as much about political power and voting blocks as anything else.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT