ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats.

That makes your team so bad you just lost to the dumbest man ever. Sucks for you!

By the way, it's "Your".
Their dealing with all those injuries during this game, we pull this game out at the last minute, and you jump all over him? Seeing how you corrected him on his grammatics I put my own similar errors in for you're benefit. Ease up on him, he wasn't incorrect in jumping on Monty for making bad decisions. We could've and should've won this game by 14+ points if not for some of Monty's bad decisions.

Last edited:
Thanks man appreciate the grammar police always. But again good luck the rest of the season!

Thanks Flo. You’ll have to excuse Drummer. He’s new here and probably thought he was being clever.

Good luck with your season and we’ll see you again in ‘22. I hope your guys heal up. It’s no fun when anyone has to leave for the hospital.

Please give us updates on your lineman that went to the hospital

I was just saying, your coach should’ve taken the points and it was dumb to go for those 4th downs, but again if you get them it’s a mute point. That’s football, just as fumbling on the 2 yard line, but a great play by TU defense.

I was just saying, your coach should’ve taken the points and it was dumb to go for those 4th downs, but again if you get them it’s a mute point. That’s football, just as fumbling on the 2 yard line, but a great play by TU defense.
Was that supposed to be to someone else?

The reason its hard to feel good after a win the last couple years is because we all know this coach wont take us anywhere more than 2-5 wins a year. I want a coach that has the mind, the discipline and recruiting to routinely get us to conference championship games and at least giving opposing p5 teams a run for their money.

It was a good game in a lot of ways, but even playing against 5th string players due to injuries...we were lucky to win. I have zero faith in monty.

Very sorry to see all the injuries.

Their dealing with all those injuries during this game, we pull this game out at the last minute, and you jump all over him? Seeing how you corrected him on his grammatics I put my own similar errors in for you're benefit. Ease up on him, he wasn't incorrect in jumping on Monty for making bad decisions. We could've and should've won this game by 14+ points if not for some of Monty's bad decisions.
You don't go to the opposing team's board and call their coach dumb after they just beat you. That right their is dumb.

And I hope their injured players are ok too. Nobody wants to see that stuff happen.

I thought Monty called a pretty decent game, personally. Our O line just can't execute at a high level right now and it hurts us.

You don't go to the opposing team's board and call their coach dumb after they just beat you. That right their is dumb.

And I hope their injured players are ok too. Nobody wants to see that stuff happen.

I thought Monty called a pretty decent game, personally. Our O line just can't execute at a high level right now and it hurts us.
Call a spade a spade.

The coach should be calling a game to account for our weak OL. He should have played players like Wilkerson at all, and Carter more often, for the same reason.

I must have watched a different game than you. It took him nearly a half to figure out the running game was not working and go to a passing game. He started calling a decent game at the end of the first half, and through most of the third quarter. When passing plays stopped working as well because Stokes had to come out, he should have put Wilkerson in fresh, to wear them down for a play or five.

He sticks to habits until they don't work for 15 or 30 plays. He is not adaptive enough and doesn't seem to know how to keep the opposing team guessing. Hall monitor from Baylor doesn't work here. Calling Monty dumb was a compliment to our players. He certainly didn't call Gillespie dumb, nor would I venture to say he would, if asked. The last one or two times he went for it on fourth down weren't too bright either considering the circumstances.

Last edited:
Thank you, Flo! It was brutal, but we'll take it. I sincerely hope your boys are ok; you're a talented team in many aspects. As for Monty, well, no comment... Will that suffice? Lol. Far too many bone-headed calls to begin to defend, much less do so with a serious demeanor. Again, I hope your guys are ok.

The reason its hard to feel good after a win the last couple years is because we all know this coach wont take us anywhere more than 2-5 wins a year. I want a coach that has the mind, the discipline and recruiting to routinely get us to conference championship games and at least giving opposing p5 teams a run for their money.

It was a good game in a lot of ways, but even playing against 5th string players due to injuries...we were lucky to win. I have zero faith in monty.

Very sorry to see all the injuries.
We had one in Todd Graham and still some knuckle heads complained about his “Coaching Etiquette “.
His staff did a great job in recruiting and his teams were exciting, but some on this board still bitched about Todd being a Hardass .

We had one in Todd Graham and still some knuckle heads complained about his “Coaching Etiquette “.
His staff did a great job in recruiting and his teams were exciting, but some on this board still bitched about Todd being a Hardass .
I really wish we would bring Todd graham back. He could recruit stars to Tulsa and could hire the right coordinators. With our current resources and being in the American he could make us a great team again

Graham’s success was built upon exceptional talent off the field around him before he ever recruited a player to campus. Gus and Chad below him, Stead and Bubba above him. And a whole bunch of bond money to buy shiny new stuff to make recruiting even easier.

You can bring back Graham, but you can’t bring back Stead. Getting Bubba, Gus and the money to come back would be next to impossible.

This team is a seven win team in a new offense. You could get that with or without Graham. Given his baggage, the fact he left, and the lack of the old supporting cast, count me as a hard pass on TG.

Cool to dream tho

Graham’s success was built upon exceptional talent off the field around him before he ever recruited a player to campus. Gus and Chad below him, Stead and Bubba above him. And a whole bunch of bond money to buy shiny new stuff to make recruiting even easier.

You can bring back Graham, but you can’t bring back Stead. Getting Bubba, Gus and the money to come back would be next to impossible.

This team is a seven win team in a new offense. You could get that with or without Graham. Given his baggage, the fact he left, and the lack of the old supporting cast, count me as a hard pass on TG.

Cool to dream tho

Funny how he won at Rice without any of that.

Then at Pitt.

Then at ASU.

Funny.... guess he put all that in his pocket and just didn't tell anyone?

Graham is a winner, he does what it takes to win. He may never set foot on our campus again but give the man his due.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000

Then at Pitt.

Then at ASU.

Graham is a winner, he does what it takes to win. He may never set foot on our campus again but give the man his due.
Graham didn’t win at pitt and he imploded at ASU.

Then at Pitt.

Then at ASU.

He was only at Pitt and Rice one year and went 6-6. He started losing at ASU after all the players the former coach recruited were gone. Get your story factually correct. He found lightning in a bottle at TU. Maybe he could do it again, but there is not bonafide proof that he could with his records at Rice, TU, Pitt, or ASU. A lot of his success came from Malzahn's recruiting and offensive system. The recruiting from Malzahn helped with Morris. Yes he was a decent coach then, now? Maybe, maybe not.

Reactions: ctt8410 and Gold*
Not to mention he was almost universally despised at all of those schools by administrators, faculty, and a lot of the players. The stereotypical Texas football coach self obsessed and all controlling thing with a President deferring and defending him is part of the culture in Texas and Oklahoma. At least until Briles, you could get away with that, not in AZ. PA wasn’t willing to deal with it either because of the obvious cultural differences, though his act by some whose name ended in a vowel probably would have been welcomed in winning seasons. But his players there trashed himz some because he left but most because of his unreasonable behavior and rah rah high school coach BS. It was all over Twitter. The Pitt players reaction to his “carry the rock” thing was lol.

This may come as a shock to you, but you don’t have to sit down long with a group of his TU players over a beer before they forget you are there and begin trashing the guy. Graham had the time to win here because he was Stead’s pick and people feared Stead and respected Bubba. They ran a LOT of interference for him. The only thing I can say for Montgomery is that his players seem to universally love him.

You can give credit to Malzahn, but his offensive numbers is the one thing I actually give Graham credit for. He knew what defenses the conference opponents ran, and he went and got a guy that he knew from his high school experience could embarrass them. AND he convinced Stead to pay for him.

It says a lot that everyone around him here has gone on to be more successful elsewhere, including his best friend the much maligned Gary Patterson, Norvell, Morris, etc. But he is looking for work without a lot of takers. I wish the guy well, but he doesn’t need my wishes. If he took care of his money, he’s set for life. If he wants to coach, I hope Texas State, UTEP or NM State comes calling. I think those are all good fits.

We understand the desire to return to a unique time in TU history. But Graham is no magic potion. Closer to poison actually.

Last edited:
Graham was just the vehicle, which was powered by Stead and Bubba. I don’t think people want Graham back because they loved him, people want to get back to being respected, expecting to win, regular bowl games, contenting for conference championships, and an exciting brand of football. Graham delivered all that, BUT if someone else could deliver that, they would be welcomed with open arms.

I understand both sides of the Graham argument. It’s a risk I’m willing to take. I think he’s been humbled (some will lol) and would focus on doing his job rather than climbing the ladder. (Think Lon Kruger at OU.) I kind of doubt he will consider it given that we would never bring his son back. Also, he has to have a coordinator or two. And didn’t his staff stay at ASU?

Why I’m OK with it is that he’s the only one who ever landed us that kind of talent. The issue is recruiting. True, Malzahn instantly got us Charles Clay. But someone else did the evaluations on Willie Carter and Singleton. Graham busted his ass. He’s a jerk and you can’t really feel good about him at all times, but the Rock, etc. worked for the level of guys we get.

He would have to explain specifically what the system is. HUNH won’t work the way we ran it. I would have him produce signed documents from prospective coordinators. I would make sign a personal conduct clause in his contract that voids the thing if it is violated. He would have incentives for performance rather than guarantees. But given guarantees to key staff members who have to put up with him.

I just don’t think any of this will happen. This reminds me of an alternate universe where JD Barnett was extremely successful and then we decided to bring him back. There are important people I know who will never support this and that’s why I think it’s unlikely. But I think it’s a discussion worth having.

Can you at least give Graham credit for surrounding himself with a successful supporting cast of assistant coaches? I think that is being extremely undervalued.
Pros- Great assistants, great recruits, lots of wins
Cons- Egomaniac, used car salesman, brash, not a good X&O guy (but thought he was)

Reactions: HuffyCane
Can you at least give Graham credit for surrounding himself with a successful supporting cast of assistant coaches? I think that is being extremely undervalued.
He gets tremendous credit for sorting through the huge stack of resumes of marginal types hoping Tulsa would be their big break, finding the right guys, managing them once they were here (his son excepted of course), and paying them close to dirt. He could really leverage assistants.

He also gets credit for being a risk taker. The Malzahn thing would have ended his career if it didn’t turn out exactly the way it did. And nobody was sure that experiment was going to work. A lot of people had hunches. A lot of people claimed they were behind it from the beginning once it worked out. But the truth is a large portion of the college football establishment looked upon the move as a joke by an ex high school guy who couldn’t find anyone else to run an offense for him after 3 year wunderkind Major Applewhite jumper ship to be Nick Saban’s OC his first year at Alabama.

He gets tremendous credit for sorting through the huge stack of resumes of marginal types hoping Tulsa would be their big break, finding the right guys, managing them once they were here (his son excepted of course), and paying them close to dirt. He could really leverage assistants.

He also gets credit for being a risk taker. The Malzahn thing would have ended his career if it didn’t turn out exactly the way it did. And nobody was sure that experiment was going to work. A lot of people had hunches. A lot of people claimed they were behind it from the beginning once it worked out. But the truth is a large portion of the college football establishment looked upon the move as a joke by an ex high school guy who couldn’t find anyone else to run an offense for him after 3 year wunderkind Major Applewhite jumper ship to be Nick Saban’s OC his first year at Alabama.

Here’s a thought. Applewhite.

My memory of the Malzahn hire seems to differ greatly from yours. Not saying one is more right than the other, but Tulsa made a huge splash nationally with that hire. The positive publicity from it still talked about to this day.

Here’s a thought. Applewhite.
It would take a change of shoe contract for him or us. But he should be on the list of potential candidates but likely wouldn’t be, again because of the shoe thing.

My memory of the Malzahn hire seems to differ greatly from yours. Not saying one is more right than the other, but Tulsa made a huge splash nationally with that hire. The positive publicity from it still talked about to this day.
Because it worked.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT