ADVERTISEMENT

college athlete get paid

aTUfan

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Apr 18, 2011
la la land
i thought there was no I in TEAM.

I see this creating problem similar to those associated with the AAU.

wont players at ND, Alabama, usc, OU,Texas, ... get more than players at Texas Tech, or kansas, or okie state, or Tulsa...

does the athlete get all the money?

does he share it with the other teammates that help make his look good.

does he share it with all the athletes at his school, in lesser sports.

what happens if the player gets benched. does the sponsor preasher the coach to play him?

ncaa athletics is already not a level playing field of haves and have nots, due to uneven distribution of revenue. and now the rich get richer. ie. Collins would have received a much larger endorsement package if he had been at OU instead of Tulsa.

college athlete are already receiving a free college education worth $250,000.00 or more. all this does is muddy the recruiting wars.

in accordance with the political climate, the money should be put into a pool and shared by all the athletes.

D1 College sports have been a business for decades now. Athletes have always gotten paid under the table. The illusion that this wasn’t happening or that kids were regularly choosing one school over the other bc of the quality of Education is a lie. It’s about time athletes got paid and it’s the beginning of the end of the NCAA cartel. Good riddens !

so how much can TU afford to pay their athltes vs Alabama or OU?
can we even compete with okie st, kst, KU, smu,
rice, texas st, north texas, ...?

they used to pay under the table. now its a bidding war for recruits

there should be a max amount per team, like a salary cap.

and yes athletes can get a quality education if they choose a decent major, go to class, and study.

Colleges aren’t paying their athletes under the NIL. Money comes from third parties. Ironically, hot female athletes with lots of social media followers likely stand to profit the most.

Reactions: astonmartin708
I assume we will see two types of NIL cash flows. One will be advertisers (boosters in some cases) paying star athletes to push their products. Spencer Rattler just signed a deal with Canes Chicken for example. The higher profile the program the more opportunities it’s star athletes will likely receive. The other type of NIL will be athletes with large social media followings. Businesses will pay these athletes to push their products on their social media sites. Some of these athletes will easily make six figures a year simply from social media followers.

what is the lockerroom going be like between the 10k lineman and like $100,00.00 qb when the qb loses a game.

what if the player kept part and some went to the school to defray the cost of his scholarship

I expect marketing companies and Agent companies to explode with business over the next year representing athletes. Name branding will be huge and if you think about it, TU can absolutely complete. Hypothetically if Williams gave $500,000 to the University and the University divided it out, now Williams can give $100,000 directly to five players or pay for a house for a family member. Every mom and pop business can now donate. It’s go-fund-me via the donors and yes, it will come down to the highest bidder as it always has.

i just think they have opened Pandora's box. The portal will overflow
We are just seeing the manifestation of what’s been peculating under the surface. The fake vail of amateurism of college athletics is now gone. When Pandora opened the box, it ushered in a source of great and unexpected troubles. This has been going on forever. Now that it’s out in the open, we have the great opportunity to redistribute wealth to those in need and benefit the workers, not just the company.

It’s like legalizing pot. You can buy it legit but you’ll pay more. Johnny’s dad is gonna want that $30,000 in cash in the suitcase still, not $21,000 after the tax man. The kids with income potential that have nothing to do with sports will make a bundle and some will get in tax trouble that will follow them for decade or send a few to prison until it’s stopped. And it eventually will be. I still can’t believe that people over on the other ITS boards made fun of me when I suggested the cheerleaders and select female athletes would make a bundle and basically one or two dudes on each of the major teams would do ok. And that’s exactly what’s happening. Olivia Dunne’s people say she expects to see $2 million. Translation: she’ll start paying taxes on two million personally. And you don’t have to look far on Reddit and some other sites to find links to a couple of girls playing on SEC teams who have started risqué clothed and perhaps unclothed sites on IG and OF. That’s not going to end well. The potential of coercive online exploitation is high. And the schools will suffer too.

Reactions: shon46
I can’t agree with the tax part. It’s in the University’s best interest to provide the best tax firms available to keep these kids from tarnishing the name of the university. I bet tax firms specializing in athletics will become a permanent division of the athletic department. These kids and the universities will figure it out!

Company related revenue > cost of wages.

Company won’t be around long if this isn’t the case. Rent, utilities, raw materials, insurance, office expenses, etc…

We all know football programs fund the athletic dept in most major universities.

abiding by the current sentiment in dc about income, congress should put a big tax on those that receive it and then give that to those that dont .

I love this.

It further lifts the veil of "amateurism" that these huge programs hide behind.

Hopefully it will lead to the removal of their tax exempt status and lead to all of these mega facilities and businesses paying their due in income and property taxes.

Reactions: jerandlaur
I love this.

It further lifts the veil of "amateurism" that these huge programs hide behind.

Hopefully it will lead to the removal of their tax exempt status and lead to all of these mega facilities and businesses paying their due in income and property taxes.
That would likely end Tulsa football competing at the highest classification, if at all.

I can’t agree with the tax part. It’s in the University’s best interest to provide the best tax firms available to keep these kids from tarnishing the name of the university. I bet tax firms specializing in athletics will become a permanent division of the athletic department. These kids and the universities will figure it out!
There’s liability issues with that that the University would never take on. I’m not sure you want your booster accountants advising your players on money either.

Reactions: jerandlaur
Company won’t be around long if this isn’t the case. Rent, utilities, raw materials, insurance, office expenses, etc…

We all know football programs fund the athletic dept in most major universities.
I was just pointing out that players not earning much in comparison to the people at the top of the company despite the company earning billions is nothing new for our country.

I was just pointing out that players not earning much in comparison to the people at the top of the company despite the company earning billions is nothing new for our country.

Always viewed college athletics more in line with the USSR or China. The NCAA governs (restricts) what the student athletes can do on and off the field. The colleges are willing partners with the NCAA in the total control of the student athletes. Student athletes are paid based on what the NCAA believes they need and all are equal except for partial ship athletes. The people at the top of the bureaucracy get rich while everyone else is limited to food, shelter and an education. The right or opportunity to earn or have more than your fellow athlete is largely restricted. Sound like a familiar system ?

they will need an agent and a union to negotiate and set the rules since getting a FREE education is not enough.
and lets nots forget FREE coaching that helps some get into the nfl, nba.

At which point, they better not be associated with public universities.
😂 how long do you think it will be before we see the power five conferences shed the NCAA and form their own league with their own rules? Who cares about a scholarship or education. College sports is now squarely about getting paid and developing your skills for the NFL. I believe the non power 5 schools will become the outsiders and used as the JV league for D1. The kids who need more time to develop will go to non power 5 schools, develop, grow their brand for a couple of years, then transfer to a power 5 conference. No point pouting about…….we are now operating in a new reality which was actually always the reality 😂

Reactions: noble cane
😂 how long do you think it will be before we see the power five conferences shed the NCAA and form their own league with their own rules? Who cares about a scholarship or education. College sports is now squarely about getting paid and developing your skills for the NFL. I believe the non power 5 schools will become the outsiders and used as the JV league for D1. The kids who need more time to develop will go to non power 5 schools, develop, grow their brand for a couple of years, then transfer to a power 5 conference. No point pouting about…….we are now operating in a new reality which was actually always the reality 😂
I think you’ll see the P5 split into a super revenue division of 32 teams that will operate like the NFL and the schools will essentially license the use of their name to non-profit corporations that are really for profit. A second tier of schools that will agree to make certain expenditures and certain compensation fo athletes and will still play some super revenue teams (BYU versus Utah, Washington v Wash State). Then a third division of scholarship only with money under the table. TU would likely be in that category if they continued to play. It’s an open question whether we would play and certainly up in the air if we aren’t breaking the rules and half the schools are in a division like that. At a certain point, football has diminishing returns below the highest classification.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT