ADVERTISEMENT

Climate Change: the costs of doing nothing

kentucky is getting flooded. maybe they should use some of the climate change money and redirect it to lake mead.

Can’t remember who said it but “Environmentalists make good movie villains because they want to make your real life worse”

Clancy's "Rainbow Six" was basically the Covid 19 plot...

Moonraker was essentially the Covid 19 plot as well..

Radical depopulation to save the earth..

Usually always wealthy left leaning elites bent on power and control..

let's all go out tomorrow and buy an electric car. take it home. plug it in and watch the power grid explode.

I spent 3 years as a Chem E major. Took me that long to figure out it just wasn’t something I wanted to do the rest of my life. Switched to accounting but took a few more hours for my math minor. Took me 5 years and a summer but I finally graduated. Went to work for Arthur Andersen and then watched Enron take down one of the largest accounting firms in the world. Left for TU law before the collapse of Enron and AA.
That Enron business was bonkers, especially on the accounting side lol.

Reactions: watu05
What you describe is a lot of work and might even require more taxes, so those with only short term interests will deny, and when that doesn't work, say it's too late anyway.
“To secure the blessings of Liberty for ourselves and our Prosperity.”

The Founding Fathers told us we were in it for the long game. It’s up to us to live up to that Credo.

Observations of an MIT Professor who was part of founding of one of the first private Carbon Sequestration companies in the country arguing that the technology is a distraction from what we should be doing. (In terms of investment efficiency if our goal is to reduce overall emissions)

water levels in lake mead and the colorado river are down, while rivers and lakes in texas, to kentucky to the east coast are full and overflowing. looks like balance to me

water levels in lake mead and the colorado river are down, while rivers and lakes in texas, to kentucky to the east coast are full and overflowing. looks like balance to me
Texas has been in a draught for months. "Overflowing" is a bit of a stretch.

One of the reasons that we're seeing flooding in some areas that have been going through draughts...

Texas has been in a draught for months. "Overflowing" is a bit of a stretch.

One of the reasons that we're seeing flooding in some areas that have been going through draughts...

Unsure Rival can comprehend why flooding happens on droughted ground. Otherwise he would have already known. But he knows it's balanced and not any sign of man made climate change. The Bible tells him so.

• Wow
balance? Run off from floods does not restore aquifers nor help agriculture. Nor does flooding in the East do anything thing to help the situation in the west.

Lake Powell is named after John Wesley Powell who was commissioned in the early 1800's to do a survey of the newly acquired lands in the west. His primary conclusion was unlike the land East of the Mississippi the west was so dry that agriculture was unsustainable without irrigation. The combination of draining the aquifers, over allocating the water in the Colorado, and climate change means the West no longer has the water it was used to having and has to cut back dramatically on usage. This outcome has long been predicted and documented as a slow rolling disaster which no one was willing to address because it meant short term pain vs. long term solution. Now that the problem can't be ignored, it is going to be a fight between competing interests because the situation will only get worse.

If anyone is interested in how this all happened try reading Cadillac Desert which was published in the 1980's and updated several times since as it documented the slow rolling disaster. If you like speculative fiction about how it might work out in 20 years try The Water Knife.

Like climate change, there's no surprise here, it's just been ignored.

Last edited:
i believe in climate change.
I think that people are just one very small component that causes it.
And that anything we do to stop it, is overated.

The science says different. Man is the cause of most of what we are dealing with. If man weren't here, the climate change would be minor, if at all. Most studies empirically prove this.

What we could do to stop it would be costly. It would have to involve the entire societies of the world. It still might not be able to undo what we have done over the past couple of centuries. But that is due to two centuries of activity, not that man is only a small component.

The science says different. Man is the cause of most of what we are dealing with. If man weren't here, the climate change would be minor, if at all. Most studies empirically prove this.

What we could do to stop it would be costly. It would have to involve the entire societies of the world. It still might not be able to undo what we have done over the past couple of centuries. But that is due to two centuries of activity, not that man is only a small component.
An apt description. At least it’s nice that we’re coming to the table with a common finding of fact.

man has only been here a few thousand years, yet the Earth has cycled several times over it millions of years

man has only been here a few thousand years, yet the Earth has cycled several times over it millions of years
Man didn't have the industrial revolution until a couple of three centuries ago. That's what caused this.

Its not THE science... its just science..

What causes an ice age to end?
'The science says different', or 'science says differently', makes no difference. It says the same thing. But you keep on having fun playing around with semantics, and saying nothing.

Relying solely on facts about the varying lengths of ice ages selectively ignores the massive amounts of greenhouse gases we've put into our atmosphere. Those gases have known effects on climate change. It's an incredible coincidence that we are having problems now. God must have a darkly funny sense of humor.

• Haha
Reactions: noble cane
'The science says different', or 'science says differently', makes no difference. It says the same thing. But you keep on having fun playing around with semantics, and saying nothing.

Relying solely on facts about the varying lengths of ice ages selectively ignores the massive amounts of greenhouse gases we've put into our atmosphere. Those gases have known effects on climate change. It's an incredible coincidence that we are having problems now. God must have a darkly funny sense of humor.
Yeah I find the bits and biases you call truth amusing as well.

• Haha
a teacher gave a test and everyone failed. Conclusion, the students did study hard enough.

other reasons not concidered, the teacher didn't cover the material, the teachers lecture was not good, classroom distractions, not enough time alloted, the test questions were confusing, the test key was wrong, . . .

An apt description. At least it’s nice that we’re coming to the table with a common finding of fact.
Here's your scientists saying it's too late. Spending tons of boring company money, on a country wide/continent wide level, won't help.

It's down to figuring out what we will have to do in order to deal with the problem which can't be stopped. No matter how expensive after the fact spending will be, and also how much pain we won't be able to stop, that's our only feasible solution.(Stopping it is not even possible today, much less a year or eight from now.)

Reactions: lawpoke87
The steps to deal with effects of climate change are no different from those to ‘stop’ climate change. A distinction without a difference, unless one is using ‘dealing’ as a reason for doing nothing. Effectivel’y dealing with the problem still requires leadership, investment, short term sacrifice and most of all a willingness directly address the issue.

• Haha
Reactions: URedskin54
Here's your scientists saying it's too late. Spending tons of boring company money, on a country wide/continent wide level, won't help.

It's down to figuring out what we will have to do in order to deal with the problem which can't be stopped. No matter how expensive after the fact spending will be, and also how much pain we won't be able to stop, that's our only feasible solution.(Stopping it is not even possible today, much less a year or eight from now.)
Disagree. That is not saying it’s to late to address the problems that are leading to a steady and increasing rate of global temperature increase, it is saying that the level of temperature increase we’ve already hit is irreparable. Yes, we do have to learn to adapt to some degree, but you’re Talking about treating symptoms of a disease rather than the cause of the disease itself. For example… someone who has lost a limb to diabetes shouldn’t just start planning on their method to cope with further losses of appendages, they should probably treat the diabetes. If they don’t treat the diabetes it is going to kill them, it does t matter how good they get at rolling a wheelchair.

We can‘t repair the damage that has been done, but we can slow and Eventually completely stop the continuing worsening effects of climate change.

As long as “they” continue to build coal plants and continue to increase “their” emissions there is very little “we” can do to slow and eventually stop the worsening effects of climate change. Never dreamed this concept (and basic math) would be so difficult to grasp.

WATU…the steps to deal with climate change are very different than those to stop climate change. Steps to deal with climate change involve water capture and distribution, moving growing areas, seaside levies, etc…. Steps to stop climate change involve talking China and India to stop the actions referred to above. Again…very different steps

As long as “they” continue to build coal plants and continue to increase “their” emissions there is very little “we” can do to slow and eventually stop the worsening effects of climate change. Never dreamed this concept (and basic math) would be so difficult to grasp.

WATU…the steps to deal with climate change are very different than those to stop climate change. Steps to deal with climate change involve water capture and distribution, moving growing areas, seaside levies, etc…. Steps to stop climate change involve talking China and India to stop the actions referred to above. Again…very different steps
So keep eating those twinkies and practicing you wheelchair wheelies while you get closer to an early death, missing multiple limbs. Understood.

Can someone identify what actions one would take to deal with inevitable climate change as opposed to preventing climate change from getting worse? Describe all the money that would saved.

Can someone identify what actions one would take to deal with inevitable climate change as opposed to preventing climate change from getting worse? Describe all the money that would saved.
Please read my previous post regarding mitigation measures. As far as preventing climate change from getting worse that is squarely in the court of China and India…and they aren’t doing any “preventing”.

you have to actually give up something you produce that is a benefit. what do china and india produce

‘Coping’ in Florida will be expensive and is only the overture before the first act.

‘Coping’ in Florida will be expensive and is only the overture before the first act.

Damn CCP and their ever increasing co2 output. Time to bomb them and keep their economy from developing. The earth depends on it

Thank god we didn’t have major Hurricanes hit the US prior to the last 20 years.
I thought someone said Florida was a prime place that people want to live in the US… maybe now some folks will be rethinking their priorities.

I thought someone said Florida was a prime place that people want to live in the US… maybe now some folks will be rethinking their priorities.
You act like this is something new to florida. 5+ Hurricanes/Tropical storms have hit florida & done serious damage in every decade since the 50's.(The 70's were a little light, 3 or 4.)

Quit making every hurricane doing damage to florida is the end of the world for florida. If you want to make a point, equivocate the frequency and damage as getting worse over time. One hurricane is not a sign of climate change.

People have wanted to live in florida all since the 50's, and up to now, despite the hurricanes.

I
You act like this is something new to florida. 5+ Hurricanes/Tropical storms have hit florida & done serious damage in every decade since the 50's.(The 70's were a little light, 3 or 4.)

Quit making every hurricane doing damage to florida is the end of the world for florida. If you want to make a point, equivocate the frequency and damage as getting worse over time. One hurricane is not a sign of climate change.

People have wanted to live in florida all since the 50's, and up to now, despite the hurricanes.
I wasn’t saying that this hurricane was a sign of climate change… just that in comparison to other places in the US, the hurricane factor should be an input variable to the desirability to live there.

I

I wasn’t saying that this hurricane was a sign of climate change… just that in comparison to other places in the US, the hurricane factor should be an input variable to the desirability to live there.
And i repeat, hurricanes have existed there for a milennia. Why would this one scare them away any more than Sally(2004) or Andrew(1992), or any of the other 30 or 40 hurricanes that have hit them over the past 70+ years.

This is not a new & different event.

Last edited:
And i repeat, hurricanes have existed there for a milennia. Why would this one scare them away any more than Sally(2004) or Andrew(1992), or any of the other hurricanes that have hit them over the past 70+ years.

This is not a new & different event.
Aston is still struggling with why thousands and thousands of people are moving from the likes of California and New York to Florida and Texas :).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT