ADVERTISEMENT

Cincy Drops Men’s Soccer

They haven't been decent since 2006. I wonder how much this immediately helps their budget.

They won’t be the only school to make cuts. If colleges can’t play football in front of fans or full schedules this will get bad quick.

Unless the NCAA grants a waiver to the 7 and 7 rule that a school must sponsor at least 7 men's and 7 women's sports, then TU won't be dropping any men's programs. I think if the NCAA does grant waiver it might be only for those schools who play men's D1 basketball but not FBS football. The whole point of the rule is to make schools be D1 in more than just FBS football or more than just D1 NCAA basketball and reap the revenue benefits of those 2 sports at the D1 level.

TBH, the schools have a better chance of getting a Title IX waiver on the funding issue from the current Dept. of Ed admin than they do of the NCAA granting a waiver to allow schools to only fund the revenue sports for 1-2 years. DeVos has started gutting Title IX in the last 3 years so it wouldn't surprise me if they waived this as well.

They kept swimming and diving, golf and track and field though?
Swimming and diving count for 2 different sports. Track and field counts for 2 different sports and usually there is a crossover on scholarships from cross country athletes who also run distances for track. TU technically only has 6 men's sports but because Indoor track and outdoor track are considered different teams they meet the 7 threshold.

I read the letter Levit sent out. She has obviously allowed the PR dept. to write for her now. Much better crafted, much better delivery, much less "ego" as opposed to her True Blue Commitment or whatever they're calling it. Seems like there is a reasonable plan in place but there's also a tone of concern b/c we are dependent on enrollment numbers to keep our heads above water and this shutdown is threatening a normal sized incoming class.

Reactions: HuffyCane
They haven't been decent since 2006. I wonder how much this immediately helps their budget.
It will save $800,000 according to publicly available sources. Probably another $50,000 in ways they don’t capture.

I read the letter Levit sent out. She has obviously allowed the PR dept. to write for her now. Much better crafted, much better delivery, much less "ego" as opposed to her True Blue Commitment or whatever they're calling it. Seems like there is a reasonable plan in place but there's also a tone of concern b/c we are dependent on enrollment numbers to keep our heads above water and this shutdown is threatening a normal sized incoming class.
It will be interesting. Lots of kids may be staying at home or close to home and not going to SMU, TCU, Baylor, etc. TU has an opportunity to actually improve enrollment qualifications in some demographics and minimize the damage of the virus with the right marketing and outreach. They have 60 days to work the phones and convince parents not to make that first payment.

Reactions: TU_BLA
It will be interesting. Lots of kids may be staying at home or close to home and not going to SMU, TCU, Baylor, etc. TU has an opportunity to actually improve enrollment qualifications in some demographics and minimize the damage of the virus with the right marketing and outreach. They have 60 days to work the phones and convince parents not to make that first payment.
This is a good point. I'm not sure how much the dots to this have been connected by TU. It certainly won't alleviate all of the revenue issues because there is a high $ amount brought in by housing and dining revenues. I would expect TU to be around 60% occupancy next Fall or they would need to close a hall or two.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT