ADVERTISEMENT

Cincinnati game cancelled

Babe the Blue Ox

I.T.S. Defensive Coordinator
Oct 3, 2001

IRVING, Texas ––
The American Athletic Conference has announced that the regular-season football game between Tulsa and Cincinnati scheduled for this Saturday, Dec. 12, will not be played. The game has been canceled due to positive COVID-19 cases at Cincinnati, the ensuing contact tracing of student-athletes, and the recommendation of the conference's Medical Advisory Group.

The regular-season game will not be rescheduled. Cincinnati and Tulsa are scheduled to meet Saturday, Dec. 19, in the American Athletic Conference Championship Game.

Both teams will have 6-0 conference records at the conclusion of the regular season. In the absence of a regular-season head-to-head result to break the tie, the site of the championship game will be the home stadium of the team that is ranked higher in the Dec. 8 College Football Playoff rankings, per The American's tiebreaking procedure.

"It's disappointing for our football team and fans that we will not have the opportunity to play the final home game of the season on Senior Day," said Tulsa's Director of Athletics Rick Dickson.

"The hard work and dedication and the adversity our student-athletes have battled through this year is evident of their character and their desire to continue to play football," added Dickson. "They and the coaching staff have put themselves in position to compete for a conference championship, and now turn their focus to that title game."

This is the second time that the Tulsa-Cincinnati game was scheduled to be played this season. The originally scheduled game was planned for Oct. 17, but was postponed due to positive COVID-19 cases at Cincinnati. The make-up date was slated for this Saturday.

Tulsa had eight game dates affected by COVID-19 this season. In addition to Cincinnati (two game dates), the Oklahoma State, Arkansas State, Navy and Houston games were postponed or canceled. The OSU and Navy games were played on later dates, while the regular-season matchups against Arkansas State, Houston and Cincinnati were not played. The Toledo and Northwestern State games were canceled prior to the season.

This is absolute garbage. Cincinnati has now made the top of the garbage list. The only games that they “can’t play” is Tulsa. They are scared and they know they would have to come to Oklahoma twice. Yeah they didn’t play Temple. Temple didn’t want them to play Temple. This is BS and this only helps Coastal Carolina

I just saw headline that stated “Cincinnati likely to host.....”

Positives
Great for recovery time for our team.(Guarantees Collins will be back/Probably brings back Prince & TK/Hope Paul heals)
Good for conference.(Avoids a split.)

Negatives
Eliminates our home game, possibility of home championship.
(Should have been at a neutral site.)
Eliminates a chance for us to have a two game sweep.(Better shot at passing up CC.)

Should have been at a neutral site, but all in all I think I'm happy with the situation. I think recovery time gives us a better shot at winning than an earlier home game.

Complete and total BS. Not surprising at all. So pissed. I even said the league would be complicit in this.

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
Then the next step in my conspiracy gets a little more complicated. Once Cincinnati is assured of playing more conference games then us, they’ll get the sniffles again and Covid out on us.

When the season ends, they’ll be 7-0 and we’ll be 6-0 and they’ll get the championship game at home.

Called this back on 11/23 and I don’t think I was the only one. This could be seen coming a mile away.

We do get some extra time for some of our players to heal up. I don’t like having to go to UC. This year is so strange they really should try to get a neutral site.

AAC should make up for it by making it a neutral field game and eliminate all fans. I recall Hines noted that even the media area was pro Cinci last year. But instead I expect all level of shenanigans when we play. They probably won’t even allow a tv broadcast so there is no camera recording the cheating about to happen.

I don’t think the conference would have much luck finding a neutral site even if it was allowed within the rules. No one is going to want to host a game not involving their own school.

Per AAC rules, higher seeded team hosts. I don't think Ohio has fans period. I've seen a bit of the Cinncy games and don't recall seeing an "ATT situation." Not so sure the site makes a difference.

The positive is the rest for healing. And, only having to win once.

I always thought a sweep here was a heavy lift. Fairness of course, dictates a neutral site. AAC should punish Cinncy and change the rules now due to extraordinary circumstances. They cancelled, not Tulsa.

Expect national media to torch Cinncy over this.

Query, should Tulsa call Coastal and arrange a game here? I doubt if that helps but....?

Would Tulsa forfeit or get penalized if the response is "hell no, we won't go" to Ohio!

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Per AAC rules, higher seeded team hosts. I don't think Ohio has fans period. I've seen a bit of the Cinncy games and don't recall seeing an "ATT situation." Not so sure the site makes a difference.

I always thought a sweep here was a heavy lift. Fairness of course, dictates a neutral site. AAC should punish Cinncy and change the rules now due to extraordinary circumstances. They cancelled, not Tulsa.

Query, should Tulsa call Coastal and arrange a game here? I doubt if that helps but....?

Coastal shouldn’t play another game unless they suspend the guys who attacked the BYU QB. I don’t like late season non conference games. You get mystery calls like when we play Arkansas or Notre Dame.

On the bright side of the sh*t stick, Wisconsin plays Iowa this weekend and I'm betting one or both of them are ahead of us in the CFP poll tonight, and there will be an upset or two on Saturday, most likely. So we should move up a notch or two from where we are ranked tonight. That might gets us closer to CC. The only games with a possibility of an upset higher up in the polls, where CC could profit, are Georgia & Miami. Georgia will probably take care of business, and hopefully so will Miami.

Reactions: HuffyCane
perhaps a lovely Chicken Dance cam for the CU football team? Bwaak!

Reactions: HuffyCane
being facetious about Coastal. I couldn't believe the two CCU players weren't suspended then received a multiple game extension. Total bush league. The good news for TU is that the national media now hates CCU (a hard thing to accomplish after beating BYU).

The more I reflect, the more I think this gives TU extra motivation. Watch and see calls go our way as the referees try to confirm this is a technical natural site title game. Remember the ECU Pirate video that played here when TU hosted the title game?

Reactions: drboobay

Would Tulsa forfeit or get penalized if the response is "hell no, we won't go" to Ohio!
If they could play in an alternate multiiverse where they(CC) had covid in one universe and canceled the troy/Louisiana game, and in another universe they were healthy, and playing us.

The refs are not going to be in our pocket. V. ECU, yeah. The conference wants Cincy to win. We may have a protest or two to the conference when all is said and done, not the other way around.

Waiting for a statement from Montgomery.
I'm betting Montgomery gave Rick the go ahead on rescheduling later. I think he is probably feeling the time to heal is more important than where and how many games are played.

I'm betting Monty had absolutely no say in this matter, as well as Rick.
You think Aresco/the conference didn't care how they felt? I would think it would be imperative that they got all four of those individuals to agree to make this kind of change.

Now that Ive had a little longer to think about it, its probably best to not even entertain the idea of a fill in game and get everyone healthy then go to Cincinnati and hammer them on their turf.

Unless of course these guys want to play ball, then I'm 100% all for it.

When we play them 12/19 they will have gone a full month without playing a game and they had a bye last week to deal with things post-Temple cancellation. There’s zero chance they don’t have the covid situation under control with their team, which is why there’s no doubt the championship game will happen. They're garbage, which we've known since 2000.

Last edited:
Now that Ive had a little longer to think about it, its probably best to not even entertain the idea of a fill in game and get everyone healthy then go to Cincinnati and hammer them on their turf.

Unless of course these guys want to play ball, then I'm 100% all for it.
Winning that game on the road will look better than CC winning at home. If CC wins, I doubt that's enough, but it's something.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT