ADVERTISEMENT

Chukwu stats

oksportfan

I.T.S. Redshirt Freshman
Dec 5, 2003
I noticed the player bio on the TU athletic website provides no high school statistics on Charles Chukwu. That may not be a good sign. Did he have an off year? Can't find anything on the internet. Seemed like a good pickup when signed. Offers from Georgia Tech, TCU and Texas A&M etc. Anybody have any HS stats for him?

I noticed the player bio on the TU athletic website provides no high school statistics on Charles Chukwu. That may not be a good sign. Did he have an off year? Can't find anything on the internet. Seemed like a good pickup when signed. Offers from Georgia Tech, TCU and Texas A&M etc. Anybody have any HS stats for him?
I followed Chukwu since we first started recruiting him. There just aren’t stats on him. But here’s some of my personal thoughts. He played on a very good team whose style of play kept their scores low. 40’s and 50’s.

He stated that his team had guys that could score 20 pts on a given night. His job was rebounding, blocking shots, setting screens and protecting the rim. He admitted that his offensive skills are behind his defensive skills. In his videos I rarely saw him shoot outside of 5-8 ft.

However, he already has a man’s body, fit for the college game. He won’t be shoved around. He had some great offers (Texas A&M, TCU, Georgia Tech, etc). Kentucky even gave him a hard look—————-

The Kentucky Wildcats have their eyes on a three-star prospect that is soaring through Rivals’ top 150 rankings.
Three-star center Charles Chukwu, who ranks 115th in the Rivals 150, told Corey Evans that UK has begun to show interest. He plays at Paetow High School in Texas. Kentucky is hiring Texas assistant Jai Lucas, so perhaps he can help out with this recruitment.

Chukwu, who weighs in at 6-8 and 250 pounds, said he has not received an offer from John Calipari and his staff, but they have talked about how meaningful it would be if he did.

“That (offer) would mean a lot to me. Kentucky isn’t just your average school, clearly,” Chukwu said. “But that if I got the offer from them, it would show and solidify that I am legit and I am a very special player across the United States. That would be a big deal to me.”

Rivals’ describes the center that has “great length and tremendous physicality with the way that he goes about playing the game.”
———————
I imagine he scored around 7-10 pts/game, double digit rebounds and 3-4 blks. Just my guess. Nonetheless less, he should be a defensive presence from day 1 and hopefully the staff will hone his offensive skills, like they did with Lofton.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
It would also be nice if they updated the bios with stats from last year for the returners. At least they have Selebangue listed on the roster now. I hope that means he’s on campus and ready to go.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I don’t know who showed Junior Lofton his offensive footwork but it is about the best I have ever seen.

Reactions: Bill Lowery
I don’t know who showed Junior Lofton his offensive footwork but it is about the best I have ever seen.
Probably most of it is natural talent but good coaches can help tremendously. I’m not saying I was a good coach but in my short tenure as a college coach I learned from an experienced snd outstanding head coach who learned from some great coaches, we helped our bigs improve their footwork and inside moves by practicing them over and over. Do it the right way and practice it often

I expect our bigs will improve greatly under the teaching of Coach Konkol and staff.

I followed Chukwu since we first started recruiting him. There just aren’t stats on him. But here’s some of my personal thoughts. He played on a very good team whose style of play kept their scores low. 40’s and 50’s.

He stated that his team had guys that could score 20 pts on a given night. His job was rebounding, blocking shots, setting screens and protecting the rim. He admitted that his offensive skills are behind his defensive skills. In his videos I rarely saw him shoot outside of 5-8 ft.

However, he already has a man’s body, fit for the college game. He won’t be shoved around. He had some great offers (Texas A&M, TCU, Georgia Tech, etc). Kentucky even gave him a hard look—————-

The Kentucky Wildcats have their eyes on a three-star prospect that is soaring through Rivals’ top 150 rankings.
Three-star center Charles Chukwu, who ranks 115th in the Rivals 150, told Corey Evans that UK has begun to show interest. He plays at Paetow High School in Texas. Kentucky is hiring Texas assistant Jai Lucas, so perhaps he can help out with this recruitment.

Chukwu, who weighs in at 6-8 and 250 pounds, said he has not received an offer from John Calipari and his staff, but they have talked about how meaningful it would be if he did.

“That (offer) would mean a lot to me. Kentucky isn’t just your average school, clearly,” Chukwu said. “But that if I got the offer from them, it would show and solidify that I am legit and I am a very special player across the United States. That would be a big deal to me.”

Rivals’ describes the center that has “great length and tremendous physicality with the way that he goes about playing the game.”
———————
I imagine he scored around 7-10 pts/game, double digit rebounds and 3-4 blks. Just my guess. Nonetheless less, he should be a defensive presence from day 1 and hopefully the staff will hone his offensive skills, like they did with Lofton.
I couldn't find stats on any player(in basketball) on that high school. I barely could find a roster listing.

Last edited:
Better than KJ and Igbanu...throwing good footwork out there, Igbanu is easily the best I've seen at TU since I came as a student in '92. We've had some great low post and block players in those 30 years too but Igbanu was the absolute best. I think we compared his footwork to being McHale-like and McHale's footwork in the low post may be the best in basketball history. Ask all the guys who tried to defend him knowing what he was going to do and still having to untie themselves from the human pretzel he turned them into.

If Lofton's is on that level more power to him.

Boy, that team was IBAesque, if not even more conservative than that.....Most of it may well have
been to exploit what Chukwu's strengths are.....It will probably be a full season plus before he becomes
a large part of what he will eventually be.....But, we haven't had a defensive minded well built 250lb
6'8" 'ruffian' since Ruffin (Pardon?).....

In the two interviews I saw, he seems to enjoy the parts of the game he is good at.....If he stays with
it, he may well turn out to be something really special.....I'm looking forward to seeing him develop....

Last edited:
I couldn't find stats on any player(in basketball) on that high school. I barely could find a roster listing.
Does it matter when he goes 1-1 on attempts to get John Calipari to pay attention?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT