ADVERTISEMENT

Christian Shumate

They beat us in the Independence Bowl as I recall.

i think he’ll be a star there. He has athleticism to spare.

i think he’ll be a star there. He has athleticism to spare.
Unfortunately that's all some coaches (Wojcik, Haith) look for and not basketball skills. It is setting us back again having to get 10 new players. I would rather have local players who can dribble, pass , and shoot with ease but less athletic. That's one thing I like about Pritchard. Also Jason Parker, Dante Swanson, Marcus Hill, Rod Thompson, Shawn Williams, and Pooh Williamson. All had great basketball skills but larger schools wanted them to have more athletic ability.

Unfortunately that's all some coaches (Wojcik, Haith) look for and not basketball skills. It is setting us back again having to get 10 new players. I would rather have local players who can dribble, pass , and shoot with ease but less athletic. That's one thing I like about Pritchard. Also Jason Parker, Dante Swanson, Marcus Hill, Rod Thompson, Shawn Williams, and Pooh Williamson. All had great basketball skills but larger schools wanted them to have more athletic ability.
The “I can’t teach ‘em to run, but I can teach ‘em to shoot” philosophy is widely overrated.

One of the best high school teams I've ever seen in person was the 2010 San Antonio Wagner team with Jordan Clarkson and Andre Roberson. They couldn't shoot a lick, but they could run.

Some recruiters call it "makeup". Others call it "character". I've also heard it referred to as "WANT".

Whatever term fits your fancy, it's an obsession to be the best. That team didn't just want to win, they wanted to embarrass their opponents. I think that's where college recruiters missed on those guys. It also played a role in what ultimately made Clarkson "persona non grata" for TU fans.

Best of luck to Christian. He has a unique skillset and I think he has the ability to be a dynamic player at this level if he puts in the work.

Reactions: astonmartin708

What?

They wanted Dante to be bigger he was 5'10 with his shoes and a standing on a game program he dunked at will including over a 7fter and got called for a charge. Watched him climb the ladder to steal a pass versus Iowa at home that would have put his head near the rim if he wasn't on the free throw line when he did it. Marcus Hill was well recruited and while shooting was his strong suite his athleticism wasn't an issue. Rod and Pooh went to a small school and got very little attention period but a lack of athletic ability wasn't a knock against them when playing in the dance. I recall plenty of people recruiting Parker although admittedly he wasn't a freak athlete.

In fact looking at it, the guy who was basically a walk on is the only guy you listed who lacked athletic ability, who we all know should have probably seen very little court time and did so largely because of the situation.

It's not athleticism that is over recruited if anything it's under used when recruited. Its size that is vastly over rated and largely what has been a knock against our players.

Dante, Antonio, KJ, Shelton, etc tended to be overlooked based on measurables not athleticism. While you can't teach tall, people also don't rebound or shoot with the top of their head. How many 6'9 or taller projects has Tulsa had? Those are the wasted scholarships, not the ultra athletic kid who we expected to play in a half court set and a zone defense. They can produce we just don't use them or really even play them. Ugboh though? Ivey? Oscar? Bishop? Not much was ever coming from them.

Reactions: t-townpod
We wasted several scholarships and lots of recruiting money with that class.

I’m more upset that we wasted two redshirt years on Embry and Haywood who proceeded to not produce more than a decent kick would have, and we would have had the Juco’s on the team that won the conference title but didn’t have enough fire power to get to the NCAA’s

Last edited:
Everyone “wasted” scholarships last year. I doubt there’s more than a handful of teams out there that aren’t replacing almost half of their team with 1400-1500 kids in the portal.

Reactions: TU4ever2
Dante was 5'8" tall on a good day... I think he was closer to 5'71/2" in reality.

Reactions: TU4ever2
One exceptional 5’8” does not prove that all short players who can pass dribble and shoot will be successful. Size and athleticism does matter on occasion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT