ADVERTISEMENT

Chapman Hair Band Concert

It’s on a Wednesday night and is the first of a series of concerts. If successful the series will generate net profits which will exceed total net football game day revenue minus the suites. More than doubling our money. One way or another, football is going to pull its weight at the gate and not depend on a TV check that could evaporate tomorrow.

I told you big things were ahead. What I meant by that was the game day and concessions improvements, this concert series and much much more to come.

There’s a playbook being run, it’s on a timeline and they deserve the respect of announcing it without me blowing it up here.

It will take time. There are obstacles and perils and unknowns ahead that could change the outcomes. But TU fully intends to pursue the goals each of you has been clamoring for - some of you for decades.
This will sell out quickly

So Def Leppard and Motley Crue along with Quiet Riot and Twisted Sister were my middle school jams! Def Leppard's Pyromania was probably the first cassette I wore out and Home Sweet Home was such an awesome song I taught myself how to play the intro on the keyboard. Anyway, enough about how old I am.
More importantly, Carson said this is just the first of many to come. Just another way TU can engage the community and get them on campus for something.
You must be about the age of my kids. They were all teenagers from the late 80s to early and mid 90s

Reactions: TU_BLA
So Def Leppard and Motley Crue along with Quiet Riot and Twisted Sister were my middle school jams! Def Leppard's Pyromania was probably the first cassette I wore out and Home Sweet Home was such an awesome song I taught myself how to play the intro on the keyboard. Anyway, enough about how old I am.
More importantly, Carson said this is just the first of many to come. Just another way TU can engage the community and get them on campus for something.
The music video for Home Sweet Home is what made the Crue superstars.

Motley Crue/Def Leppard along with Poison and Joan Jett played to huge crowds at several MLB stadiums last summer. This really is a big deal to get them here.

Reactions: TU_BLA
You pick a song that verges on new wave, a style he is not known for. Shows your aversion to his stuff even more. 🙂
For some reason Spotify seems to think someone who likes Clones by Alice Cooper will also like Private Idaho by B52s and Bang a Gong by T Rex.

And damnit Spotify is correct.

It is terrifying.

I'm glad to see we're back to using Chapman for live concerts like we did in the Skelly Stadium days. In the 1960s I'm pretty sure that in the summer we had symphony concerts in the stadium.
The Starlight Concerts. I believe they were on Thursdays. Seems like they had a jazz night once a summer. I remember seeing Steve Wilkerson and Andrea Baker and some of the other local jazz acts.

The music video for Home Sweet Home is what made the Crue superstars.

Motley Crue/Def Leppard along with Poison and Joan Jett played to huge crowds at several MLB stadiums last summer. This really is a big deal to get them here.
I went to that in Arlington.
It was DAMN good!

Last edited:
These guys are popular. I took a look at some decent seats and found that they are charging more than what I’ve paid for Springsteen and Billy Joel/Stevie Nicks combined.

Holy inflation…. It cost me under $40 to see DL/STYX in Bloomington/Normal, IL probably 15 years ago (I arrived a day early for a week long conference and got lucky they were in town and seats were available).

One of them is already in the pipe and going to be better than this lineup. If they manage to get who they are shooting for, it will be something you talk about 20 years from now.
Ok.

If this is going to happen when will we hear an announcement?

One of them is already in the pipe and going to be better than this lineup. If they manage to get who they are shooting for, it will be something you talk about 20 years from now.

The Shame and Li'l Eric Coley? Taylor Swift? Garth Brooks? Rolling Stones?

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
Arnold Stang Comedy GIF by The Ed Sullivan Show

Yeah but Taylor Swift sucks. I could be wrong but I don't think Huffy would say we'd be talking about it twenty years later.

I'm gonna be strategic and think about a tie to the University. I'm thinking Bob Dylan.
Excellent choice.

And for those of you who haven’t been yet the Bob Dylan Center is well worth visiting. We went in November when we were back in town. Whiffed on getting the house we looked at but found one my wife likes better at least online.

Last edited:
Reactions: eastcane and TU_BLA
The Shame and Li'l Eric Coley? Taylor Swift? Garth Brooks? Rolling Stones?
Garth Brooks would sell out a two week run in the stadium. He's incredibly popular in Tulsa.

Carrie Underwood would sell out almost as quickly. I wouldn't think Taylor Swift since she's already doing the BOK on her next tour. One Republic has Tulsa ties. Imagine Dragons still appeals to the HS crowd.

As for the prices on this one...they know who their audience is. Gen X'ers that have been in the work force for a bit who have a little bit of expendable cash.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Don’t tell me the Beatles are getting back together with Yoko Ono replacing her husband.
No, but there have been grumblings of Paul and Ringo teaming up with Julian Lennon and George Harrison's son, Dhani for an anniversary Let It Be rooftop type event in the past. I don't know how I would feel about that. Julian is pretty talented but not John. Dhani is a pretty accomplished guitar player in his own right but not nearly what George was.

Garth Brooks would sell out a two week run in the stadium. He's incredibly popular in Tulsa.

Carrie Underwood would sell out almost as quickly. I wouldn't think Taylor Swift since she's already doing the BOK on her next tour. One Republic has Tulsa ties. Imagine Dragons still appeals to the HS crowd.

As for the prices on this one...they know who their audience is. Gen X'ers that have been in the work force for a bit who have a little bit of expendable cash.
Taylor Swift is only doing stadium shows on her next tour.

Big debacle. Shows sold out during pre-sale including multiple dates in KC at NFL stadium.

No BOK.

One Republic cancelled a date at the BOK last summer due to slow ticket sales. The Mrs. is a big fan so we had to drive to KC to see them.

I just used the TU presale code to get a pair of Def Leppard tickets. Looking forward to seeing Alice.

Nickler did a great job at BOK Center. Wish we had similar shows now.

But we may need to temper our expectations.

"the only acts playing stadiums were mega acts like Taylor Swift and Garth Brooks. Chapman Stadium isn’t blessed with the right capacity for those acts."

But we may need to temper our expectations.

"the only acts playing stadiums were mega acts like Taylor Swift and Garth Brooks. Chapman Stadium isn’t blessed with the right capacity for those acts."

That's one of the reasons(besides his tie too the university) I suggested Dylan as a possibility. He's content doing small intimate things like the Ole Lady on Brady.(Rich enough that money doesn't matter.) So I figured a smaller stadium wouldn't scare him off.

Maybe one(or two) of these concerts could fund a bigger, better new video board that they already have plans for. They could get it for future concerts and games.

This will sell out quickly
Tickets are selling very slowly for this show. Maybe 15% sold so far. That may not bode well for future acts in the stadium.

Speaking of slow ticket sales, you can pick up Springsteen tickets for as low as $9 each on VividSeats.com for his upcoming show at the BOk.

Tickets are selling very slowly for this show. Maybe 15% sold so far. That may not bode well for future acts in the stadium.

Speaking of slow ticket sales, you can pick up Springsteen tickets for as low as $9 each on VividSeats.com for his upcoming show at the BOk.
I'm shocked at both those pieces of news.(low sales, and $9)

Reactions: drboobay
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT