ADVERTISEMENT

Chapman Hair Band Concert

As an old jazz musician, this concert is not my bag of donuts, but I am completely on board that TU is doing this. The more people who visit our campus and our stadium is a great deal!

Hard to think of a single song I like from any of those.

Maybe We're All Clones by Alice Cooper. Anyone remember that?

So Def Leppard and Motley Crue along with Quiet Riot and Twisted Sister were my middle school jams! Def Leppard's Pyromania was probably the first cassette I wore out and Home Sweet Home was such an awesome song I taught myself how to play the intro on the keyboard. Anyway, enough about how old I am.
More importantly, Carson said this is just the first of many to come. Just another way TU can engage the community and get them on campus for something.

So Def Leppard and Motley Crue along with Quiet Riot and Twisted Sister were my middle school jams! Def Leppard's Pyromania was probably the first cassette I wore out and Home Sweet Home was such an awesome song I taught myself how to play the intro on the keyboard. Anyway, enough about how old I am.
More importantly, Carson said this is just the first of many to come. Just another way TU can engage the community and get them on campus for something.
Yes it is a good thing to have such concerts IMO.

Never cared much for Poison. None of their stuff has any redeeming value in my head. There are a few Alice Cooper songs that are ok to hear on the radio or in a bar every once in a while. The only band that sort of works for nostalgia for me is Def Leppard. Wouldn't ever put them in my record collection, But a ton of people will come to this game for the music nostalgia and that's good.

They have one of the two songs that we use as an unofficial theme song. Would be nice if they incorporated Tulsa into the song Rocks Me Like a Hurricane live, and allowed us to use the song for promotional purposes. (Like we have done with Thunderstruck.) If they did that, TU would play the hell out of that version for the next year or two. Would make Gold happy.

Never cared much for Poison. None of their stuff has any redeeming value in my head. There are a few Alice Cooper songs that are ok to hear on the radio or in a bar every once in a while. The only band that sort of works for nostalgia for me is Def Leppard. Wouldn't ever put them in my record collection, But a ton of people will come to this game for the music nostalgia and that's good.

They have one of the two songs that we use as an unofficial theme song. Would be nice if they incorporated Tulsa into the song Rocks Me Like a Hurricane live, and allowed us to use the song for promotional purposes. (Like we have done with Thunderstruck.) If they did that they'd play the hell out of that version. Would make Gold happy.
This is not part of a game day...it's a stand alone concert in Skelly

This is not part of a game day...it's a stand alone concert in Skelly
I didn't even look at the article, just assumed they would do it as a postgame concert. Still is good to get people into the stadium. You won't catch me anywhere near there, even if I got a free ticket and back stage pass.

They have one of the two songs that we use as an unofficial theme song. Would be nice if they incorporated Tulsa into the song Rocks Me Like a Hurricane live, and allowed us to use the song for promotional purposes. (Like we have done with Thunderstruck.) If they did that, TU would play the hell out of that version for the next year or two. Would make Gold happy.
Scorpions not on the bill...

• Haha
Reactions: HuffyCane
It’s on a Wednesday night and is the first of a series of concerts. If successful the series will generate net profits which will exceed total net football game day revenue minus the suites. More than doubling our money. One way or another, football is going to pull its weight at the gate and not depend on a TV check that could evaporate tomorrow.

I told you big things were ahead. What I meant by that was the game day and concessions improvements, this concert series and much much more to come.

There’s a playbook being run, it’s on a timeline and they deserve the respect of announcing it without me blowing it up here.

It will take time. There are obstacles and perils and unknowns ahead that could change the outcomes. But TU fully intends to pursue the goals each of you has been clamoring for - some of you for decades.

Scorpions not on the bill...
That shows you how much I'm into Def Leppard and The Scorpions, that I confused who did the song. Always associated the two bands together, probably and mostly because of era.

Nor is there a Ratt problem!
Those guys couldn’t fill the Buc right now. Still fighting over stupid stuff from 40 years ago and what little money is left, I saw them around 2011 with maybe 30 people in the crowd. Pearcy out front was still solid. Just like 87. Heckuva show.

You pick a song that verges on new wave, a style he is not known for. Shows your aversion to his stuff even more. 🙂

And at the risk of being too much of a tease, this is essentially a soft opening. The second concert will be huge if this one is successful.
The big stadium tours have been a gap in the local landscape for a long time.

Some of the biggest contemporary artists are only doing stadiums and residencies lately.

The big stadium tours have been a gap in the local landscape for a long time.

Some of the biggest contemporary artists are only doing stadiums and residencies lately.
And they gotta stop and get gas and let the road crews sleep in a bed somewhere … might as well do a show while they can.

Reactions: drboobay
It would be nice if they had a presale for our football season ticket holders. They often do that at the NFL stadium shows.
It’s my understanding that certain levels of tickets will be given rights of first refusal. I dont know if that extends to season ticket holders outside the suites/club level.

Are we gonna have a new video board by then? Seems like that would be helpful and cool for first timers to see at our stadium.

That shows you how much I'm into Def Leppard and The Scorpions, that I confused who did the song. Always associated the two bands together, probably and mostly because of era.
No worries.. honest mistake..

I know that I always confused Klaus Meine and Joe Elliot's vocals...

• Haha
Reactions: TU_BLA
Are we gonna have a new video board by then? Seems like that would be helpful and cool for first timers to see at our stadium.
So it was either Dickson or Carson on the Golden Hurricast podcast that mentioned a new video board was coming and I think they said it would be in place by next season.

Klaus Meine and Joe Elliot's
Not the voices I confuse. The time period. The fact that the British band used a name spelled phonetically that could make a quick look impression that it was from a euro language like German. The fact that they were both from abroad. And other little oddities that get two things confused in your head, when they aren't in most other peoples. Everybody has those odd confusions that no one else has. Thanks for goading me into an explanation that was gratuitous and not really of any interest to anyone.

I'm glad to see we're back to using Chapman for live concerts like we did in the Skelly Stadium days. In the 1960s I'm pretty sure that in the summer we had symphony concerts in the stadium.

Not the voices I confuse. The time period. The fact that the British band used a name spelled phonetically that could make a quick look impression that it was from a euro language like German. The fact that they were both from abroad. And other little oddities that get two things confused in your head, when they aren't in most other peoples. Everybody has those odd confusions that no one else has. Thanks for goading me into an explanation that was gratuitous and not really of any interest to anyone.
Gotta get those clicks up!

Besides, the intro to Pyromania would confuse anyone....

TU made the mistake of purchasing nice but somewhat dated by the time it was in use scoreboard and sound technology. Weve never updated it.

New leased scoreboards in some locations and purchased ones in others as I understand it. Rolled out over two years I believe. But upgrades across all sports in that area. Soccer is still using the original scoreboard and we couldn’t give it to a 3A high school.

I’m not sure about the time line for DonRey sound or the PAs for soccer and softball.

Soccer and football scoreboards in time for the fall as I understand it. So if it isn’t ready it will be close to ready.

Small management wins that leads to noticeable small improvements. I’ve been beating that drum for awhile.

I'm glad to see we're back to using Chapman for live concerts like we did in the Skelly Stadium days. In the 1960s I'm pretty sure that in the summer we had symphony concerts in the stadium.
Summer Twilight Concerts with George Bright conducting.

Reactions: old.guy and TU 1978
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT