ADVERTISEMENT

Changes to RS rule

astonmartin708

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Apr 17, 2012
Players may now play in up to 4 games before losing a season of eligibility. The new guideline was adopted to keep RS players more incorporated into the teams (less chance of them leaving after RSing) and to encourage fewer starters to want to play through injuries that might cause them to blow a season of eligibility.

I'm intrigued to see if we'll have more talented freshman available in the last 4 games of the season after they've gone through more than a half season of practice.

Also, there will be no detractions from us trying out a freshman who we think could make a real impact in the first couple games. A guy like Shamari Brooks who we knew early on had D1 talent but was behind a couple people on the depth chart should be able to show what he can do early on.

So you can play a freshman the last four games of the season (assuming those are the only four games he's played in) and still redshirt him? Doesn't sound right.

Thanks...just read it. Have mixed feelings as I can see a ton of teams playing their freshman the last four games of the season. Unless a team is competing for a conference title or playing to become bowl eligible there's no reason not to play them.

Thanks...just read it. Have mixed feelings as I can see a ton of teams playing their freshman the last four games of the season. Unless a team is competing for a conference title or playing to become bowl eligible there's no reason not to play them.
I could see giving a kid that the coaches think will be a stud, a two week "audition" and then if he pans out, they can play him the rest of the season. If not, they could save him for the last two games or so.

To be honest this opens up a whole new dynamic for these teams and coaches to deal with.

I could see giving a kid that the coaches think will be a stud, a two week "audition" and then if he pans out, they can play him the rest of the season. If not, they could save him for the last two games or so.

To be honest this opens up a whole new dynamic for these teams and coaches to deal with.
How many true FR would have gotten a chance to play for TU last season in the last 2-3 games knowing there was no bowl game and no additional 15 practices?

How many true FR would have gotten a chance to play for TU last season in the last 2-3 games knowing there was no bowl game and no additional 15 practices?

I would have hoped almost all of them. I see no downside. The possibility of playing should keep the freshmen more engaged. Play them over the final four games for evaluation purposes.

A similar rule was around in the 80s. Typically the conferences prohibit redshirting later that year if the kid appeared in a conference game. That way Alabama doesn't end up facing Bo Jackson five years in a row while Bo only plays against Georgia 4.

So what we are talking about is basically playing Sam and Keylon during OOC early in the year a few series. Keylon shows up great and they burn the redshirt going into conference play. Its clear Sam isnt ready, so he sits out conference play and doesnt lose a year, and can focus on the books and the gym from October to August -- as it should be. Its a big plus for smaller schools because of the flexibility. Its a plus for the bigger schools. They get to use game action to decide who they want to keep and who they want to force into a transfer over the summer.

Last edited:
A similar rule was around in the 80s. Typically the conferences prohibit redshirting later that year if the kid appeared in a conference game. That way Alabama doesn't end up facing Bo Jackson five years in a row while Bo only plays against Georgia 4.

So what we are talking about is basically playing Sam and Keylon during OOC early in the year a few series. Keylon shows up great and they burn the redshirt going into conference play. Its clear Sam isnt ready, so he sits out conference play and doesnt lose a year, and can focus on the books and the gym from October to August -- as it should be.
There's currently nothing to say that the kids can't play at the end of the season though. I'm not sure if / when conferences might make their own rules on this, but right now a kid could play 3 games to end the season, and the bowl game.

I imagine they will put in conference regulations, but I am thinking a kid could play three games at the beginning and then the bowl game at the end. That could provide some drama having a few fairly unfamiliar faces to the opposing teams in the bowl games. They would have to look at early film on the team to prepare for the freshman who did fairly well, but only played in three or less games. Will be interesting to watch future conference regulations and see how this whole situation plays out as far as bowl game situations, etc.

Too bad it doesn't go for transfer year! Would be nice to have an alternate qb in the bowl game this year.(fingers crossed there is one)

I imagine they will put in conference regulations, but I am thinking a kid could play three games at the beginning and then the bowl game at the end. That could provide some drama having a few fairly unfamiliar faces to the opposing teams in the bowl games. They would have to look at early film on the team to prepare for the freshman who did fairly well, but only played in three or less games. Will be interesting to watch future conference regulations and see how this whole situation plays out as far as bowl game situations, etc.

Too bad it doesn't go for transfer year! Would be nice to have an alternate qb in the bowl game this year.(fingers crossed there is one)
I think some teams would like to be able how their season goes, and then if they look like they'll have a losing season, they might like to get their RS's some playing time at the end of the season. I honestly doubt they put any restrictions on this.

If you don't think conferences are going to put a restriction in, I think you are fooling yourself. I'd be shocked if they didn't.

I can’t imagine that conferences won’t place restrictions on freshman playing. Imagine Georgia playing Bama and trotting out four or five freshman skill position players which Bama hasn’t seen. Coaches will be going nuts trying to prepare for who might play. Teams saving special freshmen for their big conference games would be likely.

I can’t imagine that conferences won’t place restrictions on freshman playing. Imagine Georgia playing Bama and trotting out four or five freshman skill position players which Bama hasn’t seen. Coaches will be going nuts trying to prepare for who might play. Teams saving special freshmen for their big conference games would be likely.
If the freshman are that special at a place like Bama, they would already be on the field. How many RS FR studs do you hear about at Alabama?

As much as they might not want to play a stud receiver or RB without being able to gameplan for him; I think there are certainly coaches that would like to be able to trot out their own "secret weapon" if they were able to. Also, a lot of them will love getting their guys some playing time late in the season if they're in the midst of a sub .500 campaign.

Just now reading some comments from college coaches and it doesn’t appear there will be conference restrictions on the redshirt rule. I do think it helps the big boys as their freshman 4 and 5 star recruits are generally more ready to contribute immediately thus the rule gives them added depth and access players who are physically able to contribute. It’s certainly a good deal for the student athlete in that it should help keep them engaged their freshman season.

Reactions: astonmartin708
Just now reading some comments from college coaches and it doesn’t appear there will be conference restrictions on the redshirt rule.
That's a shocker to me, now I just wonder how long till this hits basketball.

That's a shocker to me, now I just wonder how long till this hits basketball.
Now, THAT will be an advantage. Sit a stud through the :crap:e games on your schedule and save him for big OOC matchups or conference games. You could almost be like Popovich, giving kids DNP's strategically.

Now, THAT will be an advantage. Sit a stud through the :crap:e games on your schedule and save him for big OOC matchups or conference games. You could almost be like Popovich, giving kids DNP's strategically.
They are already asking for it somewhat vociferously apparently, probably just a matter of time.

So why aren't they doing that now?

If Tulsa decides President is by far and away the best QB we have, under your theory we would play Skipper against Central Arkansas. To be safe, we wouldn't play our starting linebackers either. Then we trot out the talent against Texas for a shock and aw campaign.

Currently teams play their best players, regardless of their year. They want to see how they perform in real games, they want those players to improve, and they want to win. If they wanted to, a team could hold back its best players and surprise a rival all they want. But that doesn't happen.

Why would it be more likely under the new rule?

So why aren't they doing that now?

If Tulsa decides President is by far and away the best QB we have, under your theory we would play Skipper against Central Arkansas. To be safe, we wouldn't play our starting linebackers either. Then we trot out the talent against Texas for a shock and aw campaign.

Currently teams play their best players, regardless of their year. They want to see how they perform in real games, they want those players to improve, and they want to win. If they wanted to, a team could hold back its best players and surprise a rival all they want. But that doesn't happen.

Why would it be more likely under the new rule?

Guess you missed my post where I changed my mind on this after reading some college coaches thoughts on the same. The situation I could see it being used is say we are red shirting President for the year. We then bring him in running the zone read or QB run game on short yardage and goal line in a game for the West championship or AAC championship. Formations and packages our opponent has never seen.

Guess you missed my post where I changed my mind on this after reading some college coaches thoughts on the same. The situation I could see it being used is say we are red shirting President for the year. We then bring him in running the zone read or QB run game on short yardage and goal line in a game for the West championship or AAC championship. Formations and packages our opponent has never seen.
I mean, schools kind of already do this. OU did it with the Belldozer.

I don't think it's a huge competitive advantage considering there are 10 other guys on the field that have to do their jobs too. I think there are more pro's for coaches than con's. The biggest argument against it that I've seen has come from a couple coaches in the MWC... they argued that it's basically just asking players to be required to play in more games and it might be detrimental to kids' health.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT