ADVERTISEMENT

Chad Morris

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Seeing l over the Twitter-sphere that Morris has agreed to become the next head coach at SMU for $3M per. What ousting your coach early does for your search.

Meanwhile in Tulsa....

Tulsa's admin and AD and entire athletic department sorta sucks these days.

Can you not be a jerk? You don't assist the school, you aren't involved. Your constant negativity doesn't help. There are many better outlets for your act. This isn't a good place for it.

Zit- we'll see what kind of President and AD we have in the next few days...

Originally posted by panicstricken:
I bet Blankenship will get another year.
I hate to agree, but I am with you. Attendance be damned, the U. is not going to eat this much of his contract.

Tx

If there are performance clauses in his contract, they may not owe him that much.

If we dont get rid of Old Bill we are lost as a program.

People weve passed on to get Bill.

Justin Fuente
Chad Morris
Tim Deruyter
Garrick McGee

Smart move by SMU. They are in it to win it. Love that attitude. I still will be shocked if Blank allowed to stay. If he is not gone by Monday it is indeed a dark time at 11th and Harvard.

Morris will win at SMU. Watch their recruiting take off with his ties to Texas high school coaches.

If true - good for them. They put their money where their mouth is and showed the level of commitment to their program and success. I'm sure you're right about the recruiting - I think he'll do well.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

We had the chance to hire Morris and instead went low budget to hire the current trainwreck.

If Blankenship is given another year, it guarantees TU will have an FCS-caliber recruiting class. Recruits will know the coach is a lame duck. That's why buyouts are part of the business.

Originally posted by lawpoke87:
Morris will win at SMU. Watch their recruiting take off with his ties to Texas high school coaches.
Bingo!

Well. BB has ties to Berryhill, Jenks and Union!!!

Ugh....that makes me feels worse than over stuffing myself on Thanksgiving!!!

All I'm saying it's just because you worked somewhere before doesn't mean you're immediately going to beat out TCU / A&M / Baylor / Texas for all the good players.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Chad will have the same problem TU's recruiting is currently facing and will continue to face no matter who the head coach is. Not only does SMU (and TU) have to compete with the big dogs for Texas talent (OU, OSU, Texas, TAMU, etc.), they also have to compete with two brand new Division 1 programs that are spending a lot of money on football and sucking up scholarships. I'm referring to Texas State and UTSA. Think about it. That's like 160-180 scholarships a year. TU, SMU, Houston, Rice, etc., now has to compete with those schools for not just Texas talent, but Arkansas and Louisiana talent as well. This is the new reality.

If we want to stay relevant in Division I, we have to start spending more money. Since TU's trustees (as a whole) aren't super crazy about football being that high of a priority (I know this from personal experience), we are going to be climbing a pretty steep hill. I think it's possible to get back where we once were, because we've proven people wrong in the past. But the changing landscape is making it more and more difficult for smaller budget schools like TU to survive.

cb

The first step is giving bb his pink slip. Pack his office and send him on his way.

Originally posted by cbonham:
Chad will have the same problem TU's recruiting is currently facing and will continue to face no matter who the head coach is. Not only does SMU (and TU) have to compete with the big dogs for Texas talent (OU, OSU, Texas, TAMU, etc.), they also have to compete with two brand new Division 1 programs that are spending a lot of money on football and sucking up scholarships. I'm referring to Texas State and UTSA. Think about it. That's like 160-180 scholarships a year. TU, SMU, Houston, Rice, etc., now has to compete with those schools for not just Texas talent, but Arkansas and Louisiana talent as well. This is the new reality.

If we want to stay relevant in Division I, we have to start spending more money. Since TU's trustees (as a whole) aren't super crazy about football being that high of a priority (I know this from personal experience), we are going to be climbing a pretty steep hill. I think it's possible to get back where we once were, because we've proven people wrong in the past. But the changing landscape is making it more and more difficult for smaller budget schools like TU to survive.

cb
Agree............If the recruiting obstacles are to be, then IMO it's imperitive TU hire someone who is an exceptional recruiter, has an eye for evaluating and developing talent in both coaches and players, and has dymanic leadership qualities.

Head football coach at TU is not a job for just any coach, it takes certain skill sets to win at TU.

IMO Kragthorpe and Graham checked all those boxes, both bringing moreso or less to each skill, but nevertheless they're the template of what it takes to win at TU.

TX

This post was edited on 11/29 12:26 AM by texcane1982

If the trustees aren't considering that TU's image is tarnished a little every time the team steps on the field and gets embarrassed with 1/4 of the stadium filled, they should. With the new conference all our games are broadcast nationally on TV as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT