ADVERTISEMENT

CFB TV Play by Play and Analysts who is the best and worst?

TU1NNJ

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2004
My votes:
After listening to Brian Griese on the UCF vs LSU game he gets my vote for the worst analyst.
Play by play worst is Beth Mowins - her voice is irritating.
Best analyst - Dusty Dvoracek has good insight and not really condescending in his assessments, also Brock Huard is pretty good.
Play by Play best - I can’t think of any that stand out.
Thoughts?

Reactions: HuffyCane
Still think Brad Nessler when he can get a game is one of the best out there for play by play. Trent Klatt as an analyst is good.

I really like Sean McDonough as a play by play guy. Blackledge is a good compliment to McDonough as an analyst.

Gus Johnson’s over exuberance drives me crazy. It’s like the OU band playing Boomer Sooner after every 1 yard run.

The entire production of the OSU - Mizzou game yesterday was one of the worst I’ve seen. In addition to missing live action they decided to focus on OSU’s OC Mike Yurcich the entire game with countless on camera appearences along with discussions about him. Just one problem...the coach they were showing all game as Yurcich...wasn’t Yurcich.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
The entire production of the OSU - Mizzou game yesterday was one of the worst I’ve seen. In addition to missing live action they decided to focus on OSU’s OC Mike Yurcich the entire game with countless on camera appearences along with discussions about him. Just one problem...the coach they were showing all game as Yurcich...wasn’t Yurcich.
One of the reasons I put TV in the title was because of the OSU - Mizzou radio broadcast (I would list Bruce as the best play by play guy but I am biased). I had to be in the car for the last 10 minutes of the game. I was able to find the game on XM with the Mizzou team broadcast. I always appreciate how very good Bruce is but when compared to these guys it really is apparent. They were such homers and it was hard to follow the action. To top it off when OSU sealed the Liberty Bowl win the play by play guy says, “.... OSU wins the Independence Bowl”

It gotten painful to watch non-P5 on ESPN any more.
It's become a talk show about Alabama, Clemson, OU, Ohio St, and the make believe playoff interrupted by actual football being played.

My votes:
After listening to Brian Griese on the UCF vs LSU game he gets my vote for the worst analyst.
Best analyst - Dusty Dvoracek has good insight and not really condescending in his assessments, also Brock Huard is pretty good.
Thoughts?
Dusty is really good. He wins a Pepsi challenge against guys making ten times what he makes. He could be a star if he plays the internal politics of ESPN right. Greg McElroy is similar in style and there may only be room for one. Both are excellent for guys with little experience.

Rene Ingoglia, the internal affairs cop out of Orlando who played Div3 RB back in the 80’s has no business on television. He must work for free AND have some type of connection to a member of ESPN’s production management structure.

Griese is a shadow of his father but I get why ABC employs him.

Brock is a little too judgmental. I don’t mind critical. For my money American sports is almost unwatchable because there is no room for criticism in analysis. If a goal keeper slips and kicks the ball in his own goal, in Europe, it’s a shambles that rivals the worst play in the clubs history and the keeper has no business out there. In America, it’s something caused by the great mental pressure the keeper is under from the exceptional talent of the opposing striker. With Brock, there are subtle jabs that HE would do it different. That’s judgmental not analysis. When he stays away from that, he’s great.

Herbstreit should stick to the studio and his work lately is what you describe: studio spots being read live as promos in game.

Gilmore and Ware are unlistenable. I’ve switched over to Spanish where I only understand half of what is being said to avoid Ware.

Sleepers: Ahmad Brooks on the Longhorn Network and new comer former UCONN and NFL QB Dan Orlovsky.

Nessler, Blackledge and Dvoracek would be a nice mix of really old, old, and young who are all pretty darn good at what they do.

Dusty is really good. He wins a Pepsi challenge against guys making ten times what he makes. He could be a star if he plays the internal politics of ESPN right. Greg McElroy is similar in style and there may only be room for one. Both are excellent for guys with little experience.

Rene Ingoglia, the internal affairs cop out of Orlando who played Div3 RB back in the 80’s has no business on television. He must work for free AND have some type of connection to a member of ESPN’s production management structure.

Griese is a shadow of his father but I get why ABC employs him.

Brock is a little too judgmental. I don’t mind critical. For my money American sports is almost unwatchable because there is no room for criticism in analysis. If a goal keeper slips and kicks the ball in his own goal, in Europe, it’s a shambles that rivals the worst play in the clubs history and the keeper has no business out there. In America, it’s something caused by the great mental pressure the keeper is under from the exceptional talent of the opposing striker. With Brock, there are subtle jabs that HE would do it different. That’s judgmental not analysis. When he stays away from that, he’s great.

Herbstreit should stick to the studio and his work lately is what you describe: studio spots being read live as promos in game.

Gilmore and Ware are unlistenable. I’ve switched over to Spanish where I only understand half of what is being said to avoid Ware.

Sleepers: Ahmad Brooks on the Longhorn Network and new comer former UCONN and NFL QB Dan Orlovsky.

Nessler, Blackledge and Dvoracek would be a nice mix of really old, old, and young who are all pretty darn good at what they do.
I like Orlovsky too. He tries to keep the breakdown simple right now because he's the newcomer. Once he feels secure in his spot I can see him moving towards the Huard side of things where he mixes some judgemental criticism in with the analysis side of things.

Romo is great. Gus Johnson is more suited for basketball. Love him during the NCAA tourney, but not a fan of his style for football.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Romo is great. Gus Johnson is more suited for basketball. Love him during the NCAA tourney, but not a fan of his style for football.
Gus trying to do soccer lost him for me on all other sports.

My votes:
Thoughts?

Can’t stand Dvoracek... another OU player that should have done jail time...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT