ADVERTISEMENT

CBS Sports: Big 12 to announce expansion soon

I’m not buying it. UH is having some serious issues.

ESPN still controls this. If they want to tank Fox's CFB market share, they'll entice the AAC schools with a little extra money to stick around and work towards adding Baylor, Tech and TCU. If those schools see the writing on the wall they'll bite.

As I said in another thread...UCF is so desperate to be relevant by association vs relevant by talent, they'll almost certainly bite at any offer...I think the same thing will happen that happened the last time...they'll pay exorbitant exit and entry fees to end up in the same conference they were in before except for maybe the name.

Reactions: TU 1978
ESPN still controls this. If they want to tank Fox's CFB market share, they'll entice the AAC schools with a little extra money to stick around and work towards adding Baylor, Tech and TCU. If those schools see the writing on the wall they'll bite.

As I said in another thread...UCF is so desperate to be relevant by association vs relevant by talent, they'll almost certainly bite at any offer...I think the same thing will happen that happened the last time...they'll pay exorbitant exit and entry fees to end up in the same conference they were in before except for maybe the name.
I don't think this tells us anything about UCF, Houston, etc., but it tells us a whole lot about Ok St, Iowa State, and Texas Tech... For OSU, ISU and TTU, this is the conference realignment version of "I didn't get in to my first or second fall back schools so I'm going to community college".

For those looking to hire Art Briles, keep you eye on Baylor. Now, Briles confirmed pre-existing stereotypes about Baylor (mental note, don't hire Ken Starr if you care about being relevant in the broader world), which it wouldn't at TU, but hiring briles will definitely get you labeled as "that girl". If you're liberty or Mississippi or whoever that embraces your "can't we just make it 1850 again" rep, then that's fine. But don't get fired up when not everyone's going to want to hang with you.

I don't think this tells us anything about UCF, Houston, etc., but it tells us a whole lot about Ok St, Iowa State, and Texas Tech... For OSU, ISU and TTU, this is the conference realignment version of "I didn't get in to my first or second fall back schools so I'm going to community college".

For those looking to hire Art Briles, keep you eye on Baylor. Now, Briles confirmed pre-existing stereotypes about Baylor (mental note, don't hire Ken Starr if you care about being relevant in the broader world), which it wouldn't at TU, but hiring briles will definitely get you labeled as "that girl". If you're liberty or Mississippi or whoever that embraces your "can't we just make it 1850 again" rep, then that's fine. But don't get fired up when not everyone's going to want to hang with you.
Order of importance & power.

1 SEC
2 Big 10
3 ACC
4 PAC ^
5 Little 12 v

Note to readers: I'm guessing Aresco will stop using the P6 moniker now.

Big12 gets to keep its P5 status with the ncaa which keeps them as the bottom P5 conference. AAC and MWC now roughly equal. AAC isn’t moving above the MWC with the schools I’ve seen mentioned for additions unless they can land existing MWC schools.

Curious thing: If we nab Coastal Carolina & Louisiana from the Sun Belt we would have 2 ranked teams to replace the one (overrated) team ranked now! :D

The sad thing is that our 2 premiere programs have done nothing but tread water for the last 5 years and our athletic dept has done very little to enhance our brand in anticipation of this reset.

Reactions: TulsaAM
The sad thing is that our 2 premiere programs have done nothing but tread water for the last 5 years and our athletic dept has done very little to enhance our brand in anticipation of this reset.
What do you mean?? The athletic department has worked very hard to improve our reputation among coaches by never firing anyone and making sure coaches know they get at least 10 years to prove themselves, no matter how bad the performance.

What do you mean?? The athletic department has worked very hard to improve our reputation among coaches by never firing anyone and making sure coaches know they get at least 10 years to prove themselves, no matter how bad the performance.
Job security is important... from the AD down...

Big12 gets to keep its P5 status with the ncaa which keeps them as the bottom P5 conference. AAC and MWC now roughly equal. AAC isn’t moving above the MWC with the schools I’ve seen mentioned for additions unless they can land existing MWC schools.
At least until the NCAA Constitution Convention, and at that point all bets could be off and we could see a complete reshaping of collegiate athletics.

At least until the NCAA Constitution Convention, and at that point all bets could be off and we could see a complete reshaping of collegiate athletics.
I certainly believe the conference landscape will look much different come 2025.

Reactions: rusty-c
Rick Dickson was on the new Sports Radio station 1170am this afternoon with Big Al.
He had some interesting thoughts on changes he sees with Div 1 foorball and changes with the role of the NCAA. He said the changes may come sooner than later.

Rick Dickson was on the new Sports Radio station 1170am this afternoon with Big Al.
He had some interesting thoughts on changes he sees with Div 1 foorball and changes with the role of the NCAA. He said the changes may come sooner than later.
Care to elaborate? Or post a link of the interview.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Unfortunately this turned out like I first thought it would. The only thing I missed on was having Colorado State or Memphis as the 4th school instead of UCF. It’s amazing to think OSU, KU, etc. see this as a long term solution. Will anyone sign a GOR for this new “Big XII “?!

Reactions: eastcane
NCAA is done.
Move on kiddos.

SEC already knows this. Big10, Pac 12 and AAC just figured it out.

Look for Kansas, W. Va. and a couple others in this new Big12/AAC/CUSA/MWC 2.0 to bolt as soon as they can. They know.

Reactions: Rapostman
All those schools still have one foot out the door and will take the next train out of town as soon as it comes

Reactions: lawpoke87

Don't expect the NCAA to run Division 1 Football. The NCAA realizes their role as governing body of D1 football will change.
New D 1 football might look like 50 or so schools.
All others schools would have separate
classification with their own playoffs and National Champion.
I didn't get to listen to all of it, had a work phone call.
My take, things are going to continue to change and look much different.

Don't expect the NCAA to run Division 1 Football. The NCAA realizes their role as governing body of D1 football will change.
Thanks

SEC - 16, ACC 14, B10 14, PAC 12, ND 1 = 57. If this happens the remainder of the L12 will be playing against AAC teams, MW, etc… for Championships.

My real issue with the remaining L12 schools is they bitch and moan about losing OU and Texas and the impact to the conference, while each is pimping themselves out like $2 prostitutes to any of the other 4 conferences that will take them. They go after other schools to join the conference to keep it afloat but none of those remaining teams want to be there. Despite their criticism of OU and Texas for lack of loyalty they have no issue disrupting loyalty in other conferences while plotting their own disloyalty to the newcomers.

Bottom line they are a bunch of hypocrites. If the changes do occur them being left behind may be what they deserve.

Many of those specific comments came from Don King rather than Rick - particularly about 50 teams.

If that happens, and college football for 100+ teams become relegated to a lesser division (including Tulsa), I'll stop watching college football. I would stop caring. If Tulsa plays in a B league, then we're a B league university and it's pretty much curtains for giving a damn when it comes to athletics. I'll always love TU regardless, it was the best 2 years of my 20s.

If that happens, and college football for 100+ teams become relegated to a lesser division (including Tulsa), I'll stop watching college football. I would stop caring. If Tulsa plays in a B league, then we're a B league university and it's pretty much curtains for giving a damn when it comes to athletics. I'll always love TU regardless, it was the best 2 years of my 20s.
I pretty much agree.

It is much like a team dropping to fcs. For fans like me. I am just not interested.

Same reason I have little interest in USL soccer. After following a team competing in the top division it is hard for me to find much interest.

SEC - 16, ACC 14, B10 14, PAC 12, ND 1 = 57. If this happens the remainder of the L12 will be playing against AAC teams, MW, etc… for Championships.

My real issue with the remaining L12 schools is they bitch and moan about losing OU and Texas and the impact to the conference, while each is pimping themselves out like $2 prostitutes to any of the other 4 conferences that will take them. They go after other schools to join the conference to keep it afloat but none of those remaining teams want to be there. Despite their criticism of OU and Texas for lack of loyalty they have no issue disrupting loyalty in other conferences while plotting their own disloyalty to the newcomers.

Bottom line they are a bunch of hypocrites. If the changes do occur them being left behind may be what they deserve.

Pretty much sounds like politics.

Why? Did someone inform you of this? Opinion?

GO TU!!!!

So many unknowns though. Who would have predicted the OU Texas move for example? And there is the NCAA constitutional convention.

Us adding North Texas from the loss of Houston is not a response. It’s a confession of weakness and desperation. Might happen because of Texas politics but I doubt it. Same with UTSA. Same with the Big 10 adding KU basketball to respond to losing Texas and OU. Indeed the current Big 12 move smacks of impotence. UCF is not Texas.

As for losing interest, that will definitely happen. College football is the only top flight minor league sport out there. Take the two 20 teams and turn it into a D league and we will all tune out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT