ADVERTISEMENT

Cardboard Cut Outs

TU4ever2

I.T.S. Position Coach
Sep 21, 2008
TU is selling cut outs ($40 on Friday, $50 regularly) to put in the stands. The idea is to put your face on it with a TU jersey.

I however immediately thought of who I would like to see at TU game. Its started with alumni and spread pretty quickly. I want to hear others ideas. Here a few of mine:

Golden Girls for the Golden Hurricane. Set them up behi4nd the opponents bench with Rue McClanahan prominent. They can give two thumbs down just for the WSU game.

Doctor Phil right behind the opposing head coach.

Serious Cat

Lil Eric Coley right next to the real deal

Huffy, let's just be honest we all want more of that logo 🤷‍♂️

Tubbs, in memoriam and because he once swore he would never come back to Tulsa then ended up in a conference with us. One last ride for him.

Nolan in polkadots

Tulsa Driller, Tulsa Oiler, driller mascot, etc

Will Roger's with laso and horse

Blue Whale

Bob Willis and the Texas Playboys

TU is selling cut outs ($40 on Friday, $50 regularly) to put in the stands. The idea is to put your face on it with a TU jersey.

I however immediately thought of who I would like to see at TU game. Its started with alumni and spread pretty quickly. I want to hear others ideas. Here a few of mine:

Golden Girls for the Golden Hurricane. Set them up behi4nd the opponents bench with Rue McClanahan prominent. They can give two thumbs down just for the WSU game.

Doctor Phil right behind the opposing head coach.

Serious Cat

Lil Eric Coley right next to the real deal

Huffy, let's just be honest we all want more of that logo 🤷‍♂️

Tubbs, in memoriam and because he once swore he would never come back to Tulsa then ended up in a conference with us. One last ride for him.

Nolan in polkadots

Tulsa Driller, Tulsa Oiler, driller mascot, etc

Will Roger's with laso and horse

Blue Whale

Bob Willis and the Texas Playboys
Wojcik in an “I heart Beach Boys” t shirt.

Greg Swaim, Lunardi, Jerry Palm, Digger Phelps, Coach Sportsmanship, Eaglebackr, Scoop Haisten . . . So many possibilities.

My buddy’s brother tried to do this with Jeffrey Epstein and it was shot down.

A cardboard cutout of Blake Shelton holding a cardboard Blake Shelton head.

David Bales a/k/a The Baseline Coach. He did not attend any games last year because of physical ailments and also because of problems he had with the Reynolds Center staff.

Kenneth Penn, a/k/a Mad Dog. He only attended a handful of games last year.

Those two guys are iconic fans of TU sports.

Coach David is a personal friend of mine. For a number of years he, my late wife and youngest son traveled to several bowl games and to NCAA Tournament games. He was our guest on those trips. He was always gracious to the other team's fans even though some of them did not understand him.

I was sad when he had difficulty with the Reynolds Center Staff. Several other fans and I attempted to mount a defense for him but we could not get through to the proper people.

Last edited:
Coach and Mad Dog absolutely deserve to be there. They were there through thick and thin. I know they were complex guys with some issues at times, but they were loyal TU fans and everyone who was a real fan knew them. Honestly, when they’re no longer coming to TU games I would love to see others take up their mantles as pseudo mascots.

Greg Swaim, Lunardi, Jerry Palm, Digger Phelps, Coach Sportsmanship, Eaglebackr, Scoop Haisten . . . So many possibilities.

JD Barnett , Buzz Peterson, Doug Wojcik, should be a discount to use them.

Reactions: HuffyCane and Gold*
David Bales a/k/a The Baseline Coach. He did not attend any games last year because of physical ailments and also because of problems he had with the Reynolds Center staff.

Kenneth Penn, a/k/a Mad Dog. He only attended a handful of games last year.

Those two guys are iconic fans of TU sports.

Coach David is a personal friend of mine. For a number of years he, my late wife and youngest son traveled to several bowl games and to NCAA Tournament games. He was our guest on those trips. He was always gracious to the other team's fans even though some of them did not understand him.

I was sad when he had difficulty with the Reynolds Center Staff. Several other fans and I attempted to mount a defense for him but we could get through to the proper people.
Coach is awesome , I remember talking with him at the TU-OSU game in 2011 . I didn’t know he was having problems with the staff ?

Reactions: TU4ever2
Coach and Mad Dog absolutely deserve to be there. They were there through thick and thin. I know they were complex guys with some issues at times, but they were loyal TU fans and everyone who was a real fan knew them. Honestly, when they’re no longer coming to TU games I would love to see others take up their mantles as pseudo mascots.
Did Coach have an accident ? Or was he born with a disability? There is an article that tells about him competing in the special olympics and cheering younger kids on, also how he was the first in the waiting room when his friend had a surgery and was the one that led prayer. Coach teaches all of us that you can make the best out of any situation!

Torso outline with a question mark in the middle.(Labeled Aimee)

That Houston player with an ankle in his mouth.

Wojick with his right arm punching to his right/Gregg Marshall with his left arm punching to his left.

That kid who was on the floor with his shirt off.

Gillespie w/ the label Coach.(Could be Billy or Joe, either one.)

Shake cowering in fear/Pat Birt towering over him.

Did Coach have an accident ? Or was he born with a disability? There is an article that tells about him competing in the special olympics and cheering younger kids on, also how he was the first in the waiting room when his friend had a surgery and was the one that led prayer. Coach teaches all of us that you can make the best out of any situation!
David was born with a disability. I know him personally and in fact I was quoted several times in the article. There were a lot of urban myths about him. Some people thought he was in an accident and was "set for life." None of that is true. Overall he is a kind, gentle soul. I miss his presence at the basketball games. The issues were with the arena staff. I talked to the former director of the Hurricane Club about the situation. He promised me that they were in favor of David and Mad Dog.

First coach should never have an issue, the man is the epitome of good sportsmanship. I have been attending TU games since before the Reynolds Center, Coach obviously preceded me, but in all that time there have been zero, big fat zero issues with him. He was beloved by the students and I assume if the current ones knew him would be loved by them too. This should be immediately fixed. I was thinking something had happened to him till I saw him at a game but I think it was just that once I saw him last year but it may have been the season before from what pablo is saying.

I know some people observe the board, but I think maybe some polite emails to the AD bringing this to their attention may be in order. This really bothers me.

Mad Dog has had some health issues I know, not sure how much he has been able to make it there between them and regular life.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000

Lol I think some of these others might have a better chance.

No Voice?

From the photo on the women's basketball facebook looks like some of these have made appearances.

Saw Jeffries, Eric Coley, and maybe Tubbs? On there

First coach should never have an issue, the man is the epitome of good sportsmanship. I have been attending TU games since before the Reynolds Center, Coach obviously preceded me, but in all that time there have been zero, big fat zero issues with him. He was beloved by the students and I assume if the current ones knew him would be loved by them too. This should be immediately fixed. I was thinking something had happened to him till I saw him at a game but I think it was just that once I saw him last year but it may have been the season before from what pablo is saying.

I know some people observe the board, but I think maybe some polite emails to the AD bringing this to their attention may be in order. This really bothers me.

Mad Dog has had some health issues I know, not sure how much he has been able to make it there between them and regular life.
Honestly if we can just get everyone on this board to send an email to the athletic department maybe they’ll make a change. Mad Dog and Coach are truly part of what makes Tulsa basketball special.

Honestly if we can just get everyone on this board to send an email to the athletic department maybe they’ll make a change. Mad Dog and Coach are truly part of what makes Tulsa basketball special.
Not sure if I’m allowed to post email addresses so to be safe, I’ll just show you the Tulsa athletics template they use for emails: firstname-lastname@utulsa.edu
You can use this template to easily fire off an email to Rick Dickson or anyone else in the athletic department.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT