ADVERTISEMENT

Bryce Thompson to OSU

I see a lot of people blaming Bryce. Who thinks even if Bryce came Haith is surviving next year? As a kid do you want to leave it up to the next random coach hired?

His godfather is on our staff.......

I'm not sure Haith could close the deal holding the only glass of water for a 100 miles and Bryce was dying of thirst. Quit blaming a kid for our piss poor recruiting head coach who has landed........double checks......no major recruit since arriving at Tulsa.

It's the coach not the kid. Which is usually the case.

Hope he enjoys going to a team that will be on NCAA probation.
They won't be lol. When they won that extension thing last year it was a clear indication they will be getting a lessened punishment. I doubt they miss one season of postseason play.

When you have an AD who is aggressive and fights for his program it makes a big difference. Notice they have had no problems getting wavers either?

Who the AD is sets the tone for the department just like who the president is sets the tone for the school. Tulsa's last AD, president and certainly the current temporary office holder have been absolutely terrible for this school on athletics.

• Haha
Reactions: TU 1978
I see a lot of people blaming Bryce. Who thinks even if Bryce came Haith is surviving next year? As a kid do you want to leave it up to the next random coach hired?

His godfather is on our staff.......

I'm not sure Haith could close the deal holding the only glass of water for a 100 miles and Bryce was dying of thirst. Quit blaming a kid for our piss poor recruiting head coach who has landed........double checks......no major recruit since arriving at Tulsa.

It's the coach not the kid. Which is usually the case.
Sorry. Family of traitors. I hope we never see Rod or any family member on campus again. Persona non grata.

Sorry. Family of traitors. I hope we never see Rod or any family member on campus again. Persona non grata.

Again because Haith couldn't close the deal, with an assistant's god son. Twice?

Who is the best recruit Haith has got, because this isn't a one off, it's a constant pattern with Haith, just like his "this is the most talented team I have ever had" you can change the year but the results remain the same.

He can't sign a big time recruit and his team will underperform half the season.

Fire Shea today......Can't land his God child on the rebound.

Last edited:
I just wrote a letter stating I am giving up bball season tickets and suspending by modest GHC contribution. And I have attended 95% of home games since moving back to Tulsa in the mid 90s. Probably 75% since 1983. Went to the Elite 8 NCAA games. This is no fun anymore.

I just wrote a letter stating I am giving up bball season tickets and suspending by modest GHC contribution. And I have attended 95% of home games since moving back to Tulsa in the mid 90s. Probably 75% since 1983. Went to the Elite 8 NCAA games. This is no fun anymore.
That is commendable but the ad and Tulsa don’t really care anymore to support or sustain a quality product so they will probably not respond as Bubba Cunningham is no longer at Tulsa anymore but took the give a cr p with him sad but true.

That is commendable but the ad and Tulsa don’t really care anymore to support or sustain a quality product so they will probably not respond as Bubba Cunningham is no longer at Tulsa anymore but took the give a cr p with him sad but true.
Could be. All I can do though.

I sent a real letter. That takes extra time and effort. Hopefully I will get a commensurate response but if not that says something too.

I sent a real letter. That takes extra time and effort. Hopefully I will get a commensurate response but if not that says something too.
I'm fairly sure that Dickson will get back to you quickly. He did so with mine and other letters a little before the time Frank got an extension. Can't see that changing. Doubt he will Gragg out your response.

Reactions: TU 1978
17 years. 2 ncaa appearances. No appearances since 2016. Subpar recruiting. No fun anymore. No confidence in staff or direction.

That is my message.

Reactions: TUPond and TUMU
+ not a word about any Thompsons. The problem is not simply one recruiting failure.

I'm fairly sure that Dickson will get back to you quickly. He did so with mine and other letters a little before the time Frank got an extension. Can't see that changing. Doubt he will Gragg out your response.
What did he say if you don’t mind me asking ?

I talked to Rick Dickson at a football practice he said his buy out was too high but on the extension it was changed he said it was lowered

He didn’t say what was in the new contract but he sounded like it was much more favorable for TU.
This is sorta true.

Haith is going to be here as long as he wants.

And the idea behind the lower buyout is more about incentivizing teams to buy him rather than us paying out.

Unless the bottom falls out, he’s going to be our coach for at least two more seasons maybe more.

Reactions: noble cane
Im pretty sure I discussed this during Franks negotiations. It was the right way of handling his contract. Give him a contract but lower the buy out where it became affordable.
We should be talking more about the issues with our assistant coaches. It was this board several years ago that pushed for hiring of former TU stars. Big mistake in retrospect. If program is not turned around this year I am sure we will see change in staff.

Im pretty sure I discussed this during Franks negotiations. It was the right way of handling his contract. Give him a contract but lower the buy out where it became affordable.
We should be talking more about the issues with our assistant coaches. It was this board several years ago that pushed for hiring of former TU stars. Big mistake in retrospect. If program is not turned around this year I am sure we will see change in staff.
No offense, man. But I don’t recall this board advocating the hiring of “former TU stars”. Kwanza and Shea are wonderful people. We all know it won’t end well though. The only one who can save us is Owen Ostroski! Hire a future TU star and see how things turn around.

This is sorta true.

And the idea behind the lower buyout is more about incentivizing teams to buy him rather than us paying out.

Unless the bottom falls out, he’s going to be our coach for at least two more seasons maybe more.
If the University allows him to go another season without a tournament appearance then I hope they enjoy attendance on par with a Women’s Volleyball game.

This is sorta true.

So apparently a lot of people on this board and a lot of people in the athletic department are going to have some very wide open eyes about mid october next year.

This isn't the before times people and Tulsa hasn't done a very good job of staying in the public eye so to speak.

Frank won't make it past next year, neither will Monty. If we aren't careful our athletics programs will follow them before the decade is done.

People will not spend money and time on things they do not see effort for. We have this fall to bring our fans back, most of whom we have actively kept away for a year. A sub par product will not cut it.

Watch as the support drops how scramble mode we get in. Why anyone ever thought that somehow making a change next year after the sort of year we just had overall would be ok is beyond me. You either keep up or get left behind. TU stood still, while already at abysmal lows in support, that doesn't encourage people to come back.

And no casual fans don't give a damn about a weak ass attempt to catch us up to where everyone else was facilities wise 5 or probably 10 years ago.

I knew Brad Carson in high school, he was one of the smartest guys I knew and we ran in a crowd of super brainy kids. But he would have struggled to tell the difference between a football, a softball and a mothball. That was a long time ago tho.

I think the concern on here should be, is TU athletics like the meat department when the grocery store rebrands as a vegan market. Everything, including the goals of the athletic department, derives from the Vision and Mission. It's not 2019 anymore. Assuming the goals of TU's athletic department are the same as the goals of all the universities that don't have the TU Vision and Mission is probably a dangerous thing.

Reactions: astonmartin708
Hopefully Carson is enough of a politician to read the population. Tulsa & Oklahoma are still football crazy. He should know that sports can be a great marketing tool for TU.

Hopefully Carson is enough of a politician to read the population. Tulsa & Oklahoma are still football crazy. He should know that sports can be a great marketing tool for TU.
Hopefully, Carson picks coaches that get us to the tournament. I am tired of sitting in the just outside business and having to read the message boards seeing Eastern Carolina act like they are Duke.

Reactions: HuffyCane
My guess is the powers that be have a view of athletics and the value of athletic success that's an awful lot more complicated than what you read on here. When you're trying to save the world, you don't spend a bunch of time and energy on frivolities unless those frivolities also help you save the world. You're not going to bull$hit Carson, whoever is representing athletics in the planning better be an A+ player.

In the past, what happened on the academic side didn't have much impact on the "I'm here for the sports only" TU fans (aside from the universally disastrous Donaldson era) so the sports fans could safely ignore what happened on the academic side. I think that is no longer the case. I suspect that Carson will be unusually effective at aligning the entire institution around the Vision and Mission, for better or worse, someone less competent and skilled like Janet might have been better honestly.

Last edited:
Maybe Pats can set up a new ID and come back to share his joy. He’s probably too busy watching the Sixers make their playoff run though.

I tried to get him to make a new profile but he refused. With some of the posts on this board lately, his head might explode, so it’s probably for the best. Plus king of queens isn’t gonna watch itself.

Advice for the new President: Basketball is the one with the round ball. The football one is more oblong.

Reactions: astonmartin708
My guess is the powers that be have a view of athletics and the value of athletic success that's an awful lot more complicated than what you read on here. When you're trying to save the world, you don't spend a bunch of time and energy on frivolities unless those frivolities also help you save the world. You're not going to bull$hit Carson, whoever is representing athletics in the planning better be an A+ player.

In the past, what happened on the academic side didn't have much impact on the "I'm here for the sports only" TU fans (aside from the universally disastrous Donaldson era) so the sports fans could safely ignore what happened on the academic side. I think that is no longer the case. I suspect that Carson will be unusually effective at aligning the entire institution around the Vision and Mission, for better or worse, someone less competent and skilled like Janet might have been better honestly.

The more I read your posts about Brad Carson, I have to wonder why TU hired him. I believe the biggest donors at TU consider athletics important. If Carson leads TU away from athletics, it will be a disaster for the university, in my opinion.

Last edited:
The more I read your posts about Brad Carson, I have to wonder why TU hired him. I believe the biggest donors at TU consider athletics important. If Carson leads TU away from athletics, it will be a disaster for the university, in my opinion.
If the goal is for TU to move from Point A to Point B, I doubt there were any better realistic choices to maximize the likelihood of getting to B than Carson. Especially if governmental partnerships is a goal and it clearly seems to be. The concern is that I don't think anyone on here knows what Point B looks like or means for athletics. The powers that be seem to have a different view of what what the university's goals should be than most schools, I have no idea what athletics' role plays in that. You don't see many of the more technically oriented schools like TU is becoming among athletics leaders because the economics of that model don't tend to be able to support big time athletics but the powers that be are certainly willing to march to their own drummer so maybe they think they can co-exist. I have no idea. It'll be really interesting over the next few years to see what TU's athletics goals look like.

Reactions: t-townpod
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT