ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Projections

Our bowl pay outs are done pretty simply. Travel expenses are covered first (I believe all the NY6 games have a travel pay out in them specifically which is why the extra payment for the championship game) then the remaining bowl money is divided into shares just like we do with tourney credits. The cfp money is equally doled out to everyone regardless and forms the basis for our bowl pay out money. The fluctuations can be big for a NY6 game to say the Miami/Frisco bowl but they are smaller when you compare bowls a couple 100k apart.

Of course every dollar counts for our athletic department. The good news is the way the bowls are set up in the AAC it won't cost us to play the game, something that could have happened. in the past depending on ticket sales.

Will there really be bowl games?

How can they afford them with no fans in the stands. And the possibility of cancelation due to team quarantine.

Will there really be bowl games?

How can they afford them with no fans in the stands. And the possibility of cancelation due to team quarantine.
ESPN now owns most of the bowls and payouts/costs are fixed so ticket sales are basically pure profit. The crowd is a prop. Nice but not necessary. The real losers are the local taxing authorities that gave ESPN things like venue rental breaks hoping to make that money back on tax revenue from parking, hotel and hospitality. (This is why many mid tier bowls besides Liberty are scared we won’t travel and don’t want us. It creates problems with the locals for ESPN. Birmingham was guilty of this in 2012 if we didn’t go to Memphis, iirc. It’s also one of the reasons payouts are pooled after a travel stipend. But that just creates friction with UCF and Memphis and the teams that travel well.).

For the few bowls left that are community organization based, you’ve seen them take a hard look at even having the bowls and some have cancelled. There may be more. Especially if the available invitees won’t generate tax revenue.

Beating Cincy twice would be nice but to win that 2nd game gives us the AACK! trophy which is what I'm after. If we get screwed out of a bowl, that piece of hardware along with our hoops trophy would be an excellent consolation prize. Side by side in the Case Center to remind all those morons how wrong they were to pick us 9th or so in preseason in both sports

if the aac championship game ends up us/cinn why not have a g5 playoff for a spot in the p5 palyoff. tulsa, cinn, byu, Marshall?

if the aac championship game ends up us/cinn why not have a g5 playoff for a spot in the p5 palyoff. tulsa, cinn, byu, Marshall?

Because then we will be playing four teams every year for something the other teams didn't earn.

Cincy has one ooc game basically (they did also play a fcs) in Army. Zero p5 opponents and is in position to make a play off based on an AAC schedule only. That's huge and would cement the p6 narrative the conference has been promoting.

The AAC finished higher than the ACC last year in the Massey Composite. It will likely be ahead of the big XII and the PAC this year. Allowing the other g4 in is nice, but the AAC and its Athletic Departments are separating themselves from the others. Slowly the conference is catching up to the p5 and finding themselves comparative in various measures. We're not throwing anyone a lifeline right now.

In particular BYU could join with this season showing the strong benefits of the conference. Adding BYU football would be a huge upgrade over departed UConn, we're not giving them a free get out of jail card. Word is maybe UCF or SMU may give them a game.

Because then we will be playing four teams every year for something the other teams didn't earn.

Cincy has one ooc game basically (they did also play a fcs) in Army. Zero p5 opponents and is in position to make a play off based on an AAC schedule only. That's huge and would cement the p6 narrative the conference has been promoting.

The AAC finished higher than the ACC last year in the Massey Composite. It will likely be ahead of the big XII and the PAC this year. Allowing the other g4 in is nice, but the AAC and its Athletic Departments are separating themselves from the others. Slowly the conference is catching up to the p5 and finding themselves comparative in various measures. We're not throwing anyone a lifeline right now.

In particular BYU could join with this season showing the strong benefits of the conference. Adding BYU football would be a huge upgrade over departed UConn, we're not giving them a free get out of jail card. Word is maybe UCF or SMU may give them a game.
I will have to disagree it’s not because of their AAC schedule it’s because they have had massive win margins on everyone they played until UCF. They have been an efficient and effective team on both sides of the ball against everyone they have played. There are better than They were last year and were doing well at the end of last season. This is why they are where they are. They have earned it.

I will have to disagree it’s not because of their AAC schedule it’s because they have had massive win margins on everyone they played until UCF. They have been an efficient and effective team on both sides of the ball against everyone they have played. There are better than They were last year and were doing well at the end of last season. This is why they are where they are. They have earned it.

Oh?

Can you then explain why BYU and Marshall are not in position to compete for a play off?

Or why on the CFP show the committee representative said that in comparing those two, three it was about their schedule?

Cincy has earned it, against quality teams including playing Army when they were ranked and two teams (Memphis, SMU) who have also been ranked and a team with a reputation of recent success (UCF). Marshall and BYU have won by big numbers as well, they are good teams, and may deserve a chance, but because of who they played they won't get one.

UCF was in that position in 2017 and 2018. It's much harder to discount a conference that has produced three different NY6 programs, for four appearences and who also had 9/11 programs ranked since the start of the cfp era, with more appearences and ranked teams than all the other g4 combined.

A conference that finished ranked higher than other p5 conferences in several computer rankings and likely will again. We're not part of the in crowd but expect to see undefeated AAC champs to get a serious look every time at contention for a play off spot. The PAC has only been twice and look unlikely to send anyone this year.

The AAC is closing the gap, not as much with the Big 10/SEC, but definitely with the PAC, Big Xii, and the ACC with out Notre Dame.

Oh?

Can you then explain why BYU and Marshall are not in position to compete for a play off?

Or why on the CFP show the committee representative said that in comparing those two, three it was about their schedule?

Cincy has earned it, against quality teams including playing Army when they were ranked and two teams (Memphis, SMU) who have also been ranked and a team with a reputation of recent success (UCF). Marshall and BYU have won by big numbers as well, they are good teams, and may deserve a chance, but because of who they played they won't get one.

UCF was in that position in 2017 and 2018. It's much harder to discount a conference that has produced three different NY6 programs, for four appearences and who also had 9/11 programs ranked since the start of the cfp era, with more appearences and ranked teams than all the other g4 combined.

A conference that finished ranked higher than other p5 conferences in several computer rankings and likely will again. We're not part of the in crowd but expect to see undefeated AAC champs to get a serious look every time at contention for a play off spot. The PAC has only been twice and look unlikely to send anyone this year.

The AAC is closing the gap, not as much with the Big 10/SEC, but definitely with the PAC, Big Xii, and the ACC with out Notre Dame.
Yes I can explain why.

BYU has been beating folks by big margins and because of the fact that they do not have a strong schedule is why they opened at 14 when the press and coaches having them much higher. They are an independent so they should be able to schedule better. Unfortunately they did but Covid-19 wrecked their schedule. The best team they have played was Houston. Boise state was ranked but off of beating Utah State. Name recognition alone got them that just like what UCF had done the last few years got them ranked until they played us.

Marshall has blown most of them out but barely beat an Appalachian state team at home and had another close win against FAU at home. They do not play any good teams but they are having good margins. They are not a complete team on both sides of the ball. Since they have an offense that can score they get looked at harder. They have been more consistent than any other team in CUSA. They also like BYU went down in the committee eyes just like BYU did.

Cincinnati other than UCF has blown out the teams they have played. They are a complete team on both sides of the ball. Because of their efficiency the committee put them at the same rank as the press and coaches. The AAC is a better conference than CUSA and better than the independent schedule that BYU has.

saying that they got that ranking strictly because of the AAC conference I can’t agree with. Ha being Cincinnati higher than The other two is because of the conference they are in. I do believe that the AAC needs to have more respect as the team that usually represents the group of 5 in the NY6 comes out of the AAC. This should show that we are a conference that should have more respect put on its name.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
Cincy wont be getting in. I dont care what the representatives say leading up to the announcement, they will not have a team get in, who hasnt beaten, or even played a single p5 team. Do I think they are better then alot of them. Yes I do. But the bias still exists. P5 teams will always be better then G5 teams according to the higher ups. The, oh they wouldn't be this good if they were in this or that conference is going to be brought up. I would be shocked, though happy, if they actually put them in the playoff. If they can get by us twice that is.

Cincy wont be getting in. I dont care what the representatives say leading up to the announcement, they will not have a team get in, who hasnt beaten, or even played a single p5 team. Do I think they are better then alot of them. Yes I do. But the bias still exists. P5 teams will always be better then G5 teams according to the higher ups. The, oh they wouldn't be this good if they were in this or that conference is going to be brought up. I would be shocked, though happy, if they actually put them in the playoff. If they can get by us twice that is.
I agree with this

I will add, I hope I'm proven wrong. If cincy were to beat us twice, I hope the committee proves me wrong amd puts them in. But with that said, if they were to get in, they better damn sure be ready to play. Because if they are blown out in the semi, that's the last time a G5 team gets in the 4 team playoff

Reactions: loca2874
Ecu is killing SMU
Holy crap, I'm enjoying that! Great time for ECU to jump out of their shell. Love it that our win over SMU has collapsed their entire season. Don't really care if it doesn't look good for our record.

Reactions: loca2874
Holy crap, I'm enjoying that! Great time for ECU to jump out of their shell. Love it that our win over SMU has collapsed their entire season. Don't really care if it doesn't look good for our record.
Latest bowl Tulsa vs Byu Birmingham bowl Jan 2. Just 2 minutes ago

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT