ADVERTISEMENT

Born and raised in the city of Tulsa.

My family moved to Tulsa in '49 when I was 2; my father took a job teaching at the university. I grew up on the campus. My brother and I graduated here. I became a TU football fan as soon as I understood it.

I became a fan of the basketball team under Nolan. I started following the football team seriously when I joined this site. Before that I watched the football team sporadically.

Reactions: Bill Lowery
I'm an alum that moved to Tulsa area in '77 as an 8 year old. My dad loved Nolan's squads as well as John Coopers teams, and the rest is history.

I’m an alum, graduated in 2009 and lived in the Tulsa area for my first 30 years and just recently moved away for family reasons.

I’ve been going to football games since I was about 4. Basketball I’ve been obsessed with for as long as I can remember.

I’ll be honest, I never even knew about TU athletics until I came to school at TU. In MA if you followed College football, you were a Boston College fan if you didn’t have another affiliation. I arrived in Tulsa the year after the Freedom Bowl team and there was an electricity around the program that year. And Basketball was just getting ready to take off and Tubby had everyone excited despite being on probation that year.

My father received his Masters in Refining (now chemical engineering) at TU, and taught there for a time - quite a few of his students had fought in World War II. So I grew up a block south of Skelly Stadium, where I parked cars in our driveway and yard during football games. Went to many games growing up, including many with Rhome and Twilley. Got my BS ChE in 78 from TU, so got to see some of the John Cooper years. Basketball during my time at TU was during the miserable Jim King years, but prior to that had witnessed a lot of great players over the years, albeit at the hellhole called the Fairgrounds Pavilion. So I was indoctrinated early and still follow the teams.

TU Class of 1978. Worked for the Sports Information Director as a student (got a meal plan at LaFortune Hall, the "jock dorm" back then as a benefit).

Lived in a house at 5th and Florence for four years during elementary school...very close to where our group tailgates today. Saw TU demolish OSU 61-14 in 1964. Watched basketball games at the Pavilion. Baseball games on Harwell Field. So I've been a TU fan for most of my life.

My father loved everything TU as a kid , sold concessions during football games in the 1930's so he could get in free. My first remembrance of TU was watching Billy Van Burkleo and Jerry Rhome play in 1962 . Went to Fayetteville Rhome's senior year and TU had them on the ropes early until Jerry threw a pick six in the 2nd quarter. TU lost 33-22 and Arkansas won its only national championship that year , but I fell in love with TU's passing attack . Watched Bobby "Bingo" Smith, Steve. Braces, Ron Carson, Willlie Biles and of course Nolan's great teams like everyone else.

I was vaguely aware of Tulsa basketball before I moved to town to go to graduate school at TU, but never really heard of the football program. I was (am) obsessed with college football, and my arrival timed well with the revival of Tulsa football under Krag so I caught some games and started following the program. I ended up staying in Tulsa, and ended up an avid fan.

Post script: my undergraduate basketball program ended up becoming a regular in the NCAA after I left, so maybe my mere presence keeps basketball programs down?

My dad, who worked for Skelly Oil Co., was transferred to Tulsa in 1962. That year my dad and I went to a day-after-Thanksgiving Day game at Skelly Stadium. The Hurricane's star pass receiver, John Simmons, was injured in that game and replaced by an unheralded soph, Howard Twilley. The next year I was a student at TU and I've been a fan ever since.

Two major ncaa changed that have helped TU football.
In 72 they allowed freshmen to play.
In 92, they limited the size of recruiting classes to 25. Until then big schools would sign 50, 60, ... now we get some of those quality players.

Last edited:
My favorite name from the past was a running back named Bob Brumble. hearing the anouncer say "Brumble on the carry", it sounded like he said Fumble.

My wife and I got married in ‘99 in MO were we met (Im originally from Michigan and a die hard Wolverine fan as well) and immediately moved to Tulsa. I figured OU and OSU had plenty of fans so we adopted TU. We have had season tickets since ‘04 for Football and since about ‘07 for basketball. I now self proclaim to be Tulsa’s #1 fan haha. We have been to more road games than I can remember (including Notre Dame which was double special for me being a Michigan fan) and almost every bowl game since the Liberty Bowl in ‘05. Hell, I even have a TU man cave in my house that won me a trip to the Tulsa vs Ohio St game a couple of years ago. Go TU!

Never attented TU. From Missouri.

Moved to Tulsa in August, 1988. First TU sporting event I attended was TU vs Texas A&M football game in 1991. What a great game and fun time I had. I started going to most home games after that game. I've had season tickets to both football and basketball since 1997 and joined The Hurricane Club the same year. Been to a lot of road football games and bowl games all over the USA. Been to a lot of road basketball games, including the Sweet 16 in Austin in March, 2000.

Last edited:
I'm not a graduate or a resident of Tulsa but I've been coming to games religiously since high school. Started out as just a fun thing to do with friends and turned into an obsession.

I am not a graduate of TU but I have been a TU fan my entire life. My dad took me to every basketball game growing up. I earliest memory of TU is watching Shea Seals run of the score his freshman year. We followed football closely too. I wore the jersey they gave out at some home game every day after school. I remember running around the house in 96 when we beat OU. My favorite memory as a TU fan was when we traveled to the Liberty Bowl and beat Fresno. There was something about that team that I loved. Now I live in Northwest Arkansas and don't get to go to as many games but I still bring out the blue on gameday and educate the Hog fans about Tulsa.

From Broken Arrow. Never really was into supporting HS athletics but I did watch college (Notre Dame) and pro sports. Never had an affinity for TU... until I was a junior in HS, I couldn't have even told you where the campus was in Tulsa. When I was applying for schools in 2008, there had been a girl I knew a couple of years in front of me, who was very intelligent and ended up getting a scholarship to TU. I decided that if she liked it, I should check it out. I think the first time I heard about the athletic program was someone mentioned the 08 conference championship game.

Long story short, my best scholarship offers for violin and academics came from TU and I was already adamant I didn't want to go to a public university if I could help it. Funnily enough, I went to school with one of Bruce's kids and we formed a little bond over both going to TU. When I was looking for work study, I talked to several places around campus and more specifically, I talked to Bruce who walked me over to the athletic media... I remember working my first athletics events in fall 09 and I have been in love with our program ever since. I just needed someone to really invite me in and let me in on the traditions, etc...

Found this board in 2012 and I'm really glad I did as it has kept me connected to the program since I've moved to Wyoming for work.

Also not a TU grad, but heavily involved in TU academics.

My parents were not college graduates; I was raised on TU football; and a cousin took me to a game at the FG Pavilion in 1968. I only miss games when I was studying in other States, travelling on business or ill. And, I truly hate the TV time outs and detest the TV requirements not to announce game times until 7-10 days in advance. I plan "work breaks," texting breaks, and bathroom breaks to avoid the boredom. I'm not a fan of piped-in music of any genre; I wish TU would use the band more and I'm hopeful the relocation will add some spark to the live experience. Basketball has more flow and more excitement for me.

Mildly shocked at how many people posting on this thread are not graduates and/or alumni of TU. Never would have thought it, that there would have been so many on here.

I didn’t put it in my post but I think I’ve mentioned before that my alma mater is Southwestern in Weatherford, go Bulldogs.

Tulsa is my family school, with relatives attending back to the mid 1940's. My father held two degrees from the University, and I have 2 as well. My daughter is going through Freshman Orientation as we speak. Several aunts, uncles and cousins have also attended the school. It's safe to say that I didn't even have an option when it was time to choose a college.

I've been attending Tulsa Football games since before I could walk and actually have some home movies of my mother holding me in her arms in Skelly Stadium when I was about 2 months old.

06 graduate of TU. Remember my dad listening to Bruce on the radio when I was a little kid not even interested in sports yet. Grew up coming to game at Skelly and basketball games at the convention center. Had season tickets as a family and have missed more games than I would have liked after moving to okc and now dallas, whoever, since I’m moving back to Tulsa soon I hope to not miss any at all now.

My wife and I got married in ‘99 in MO were we met (Im originally from Michigan and a die hard Wolverine fan as well) and immediately moved to Tulsa. I figured OU and OSU had plenty of fans so we adopted TU. We have had season tickets since ‘04 for Football and since about ‘07 for basketball. I now self proclaim to be Tulsa’s #1 fan haha. We have been to more road games than I can remember (including Notre Dame which was double special for me being a Michigan fan) and almost every bowl game since the Liberty Bowl in ‘05. Hell, I even have a TU man cave in my house that won me a trip to the Tulsa vs Ohio St game a couple of years ago. Go TU!
we're all coming to your house for the Texas game, even if you'll be in Austin :)

06 graduate of TU. Remember my dad listening to Bruce on the radio when I was a little kid not even interested in sports yet. Grew up coming to game at Skelly and basketball games at the convention center. Had season tickets as a family and have missed more games than I would have liked after moving to okc and now dallas, whoever, since I’m moving back to Tulsa soon I hope to not miss any at all now.
And knowing you, that area of the stands is going to be ROWDY AS HELL

Reactions: tupatsfan
I grew up in Tulsa, but my first exposure to TU sports was watching the 1994 NCAA tournament on TV. We went to a few games after that, but the first I distinctly remember was February 22nd, 1997 against Utah. That game was awesome. Senior night, sellout crowd, Utah was ranked #5 in the country, Seals number was retired, multiple future NBA guys on the court. Shea tied it up with 17 seconds left and then Andre Miller hit the buzzer beater to win it.

The next year I got season tickets as a birthday present and attended nearly every home game from the fall of 1997 until I graduated from TU in 2006.

I was a senior at Sand Springs HS in 1942. One team mate was J.R. Boone who played at TU and the Chicago Bears. I went to TU one semester in 1943 before entering the Army. I best remember Coach Henry Frnka, Glen Dobbs, Camp Wilson, "Mole" Keithley and Ellis Jones (played BB with Jones in PE class.) I talked about playing end with Coach Buddy Brothers after the war but with the GI Bill, working half time and carrying a load in engineering, could not fit it in. Recalled into the Army in 1950 and finally graduated in engineering & physics from TU in 1960 while working 60 hour week at Douglas Aircraft. I held every rank from Pvt. through Colonel in the Army and was a Program Manager at McDonnell Douglas Astronautics, thanks in large part to my TU education. My ex-wife, granddaughter, and grandson are all TU grads.
Needless to say, I am older than you!

My Dad’s best friend was a TU graduate so we occasionally went to FB and BB games in the 60’s and early 70’s. I liked all three D1 schools in the state but wasn’t a huge fan of any one in particular.

I decided to transfer to TU to play football after speaking with Coach Ososkie following my first semester at another school. I graduated from TU in 1980. My middle daughter graduated TU in 2007 and youngest daughter is a Sr at TU this year.

My parents are in their late 80’s and still attend every home football game. I live on the east coast but see 1or 2 home games a year. Also usually make Temple, Navy and ECU road games. Go TU!

My father loved everything TU as a kid , sold concessions during football games in the 1930's so he could get in free. My first remembrance of TU was watching Billy Van Burkleo and Jerry Rhome play in 1962 . Went to Fayetteville Rhome's senior year and TU had them on the ropes early until Jerry threw a pick six in the 2nd quarter. TU lost 33-22 and Arkansas won its only national championship that year , but I fell in love with TU's passing attack . Watched Bobby "Bingo" Smith, Steve. Braces, Ron Carson, Willlie Biles and of course Nolan's great teams like everyone else.

Didn’t go to TU.
Went to Dave Radar football camp when i was a JR and went to a few TU games and ton of Outlaws and Roughnecks games as a kid.

My dad got his Masters there, my wife went there and work there for a while. My mother in law worked there as well.

I was always a football fan but not really into basketball until my g/f, now wife, took me to a game at the Convention Center in Selfs first year. That was it for me and basketball, I was sold!

Been a football season ticket holder for 20 years and had basketball tickets for 16 but dropped them as between my wife working nights and me shuttling my boys to football, basketball, and martial arts, we managed to only go to about 3 games a year and rarely did all 4 of us go. The Wojcik years didn’t help the cause too much either.

Bill Babb got a bunch of us into tailgating at his place, I think during Kragthorpe’s first year and we’ve been tailgating since. Moved it Dobbs a year before he passed and now we’re at the Commons.

Found one of my father's newspaper clipping on the starting 1936 TU backfield facing SMU. HAROLD WICKERSHAM , blocking halfback ; WOODY ESTEL , quarterback ; JOE KAHL , tailback, and Captain TACK DENNIS, fullback . They must have been using the split-T offense.

Didn’t go to TU.
Went to Dave Radar football camp when i was a JR and went to a few TU games and ton of Outlaws and Roughnecks games as a kid.

My dad got his Masters there, my wife went there and work there for a while. My mother in law worked there as well.

I was always a football fan but not really into basketball until my g/f, now wife, took me to a game at the Convention Center in Selfs first year. That was it for me and basketball, I was sold!

Been a football season ticket holder for 20 years and had basketball tickets for 16 but dropped them as between my wife working nights and me shuttling my boys to football, basketball, and martial arts, we managed to only go to about 3 games a year and rarely did all 4 of us go. The Wojcik years didn’t help the cause too much either.

Bill Babb got a bunch of us into tailgating at his place, I think during Kragthorpe’s first year and we’ve been tailgating since. Moved it Dobbs a year before he passed and now we’re at the Commons.
One of my big regrets was not getting to meet Bill. I exchanged several emails with him but never was able to make it to Tulsa during football season.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
One of my big regrets was not getting to meet Bill. I exchanged several emails with him but never was able to make it to Tulsa during football season.

One of the highlights of my life was meeting and getting to know Bill Babb. He was a first class gentleman and a true Golden Hurricane. Those tailgates were fun with Damon and others that still post on the boards.

we're all coming to your house for the Texas game, even if you'll be in Austin :)

I wish the man cave were big enough but my wife only allowed me the small third bedroom haha.

I will in fact be in Austin hoping to bring the same mojo I took to South Bend a few years ago.

Reactions: ctt8410
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT