ADVERTISEMENT

Big12 to sign new media rights deal with ESPN and Fox

lawpoke87

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2002
Final number expected to be close to $50M per school per year. Still far behind the SEC and Big10 but well ahead of ACC and Pac12. Rather surprising for a conference many thought was dead 2 years ago.

Look for OSU, KU, ISU, and TCU to start looking for a new home...

Look for OSU, KU, ISU, and TCU to start looking for a new home...
Not for the next six years. They will all sign the GOR for the term of the contract. Makes sense since the ACC is stuck together for the next decade. SEC won’t expand until those ACC schools become available. Big10 might take two Pac12 but that will be it. I do believe there’s a decent possibility we could see four Pac12 schools move to the Big12. Media rights deal provides for those additions with no reduction in per school payouts. UCF getting more revenue that Fla State….crazy

Not for the next six years. They will all sign the GOR for the term of the contract. Makes sense since the ACC is stuck together for the next decade. SEC won’t expand until those ACC schools become available. Big10 might take two Pac12 but that will be it. I do believe there’s a decent possibility we could see four Pac12 schools move to the Big12. Media rights deal provides for those additions with no reduction in per school payouts. UCF getting more revenue that Fla State….crazy
IF they sign the GOR…

IF they sign the GOR…
All members will be required to sign the GORs. With the SEC not expanding until the end of the ACC GORs there’s little reason not to commit to the Big12 at $50M per. I would expect the Big12 to become the Big16 relatively soon once the numbers on the Pac12 deal become apparent.

All members will be required to sign the GORs. With the SEC not expanding until the end of the ACC GORs there’s little reason not to commit to the Big12 at $50M per. I would expect the Big12 to become the Big16 relatively soon once the numbers on the Pac12 deal become apparent.
You still think that Houston, UCF, and Cincy get left holding the bag?

What? Confusing answer.
I do not believe any current Big12 schools other than OU and UT are leaving the conference in the next six years. Therefore, the new additions should be fine. They just received a huge revenue bump.

I do not believe any current Big12 schools other than OU and UT are leaving the conference in the next six years. Therefore, the new additions should be fine. They just received a huge revenue bump.
That wasn't what I was referring to. I was referring to your comment that shortly after the pac12 deal becomes known, the Big 16 becomes a reality. That could mean the Big 12 adds 4 Pac12 members, or it could mean the old big12 members disband, and join with 8 Pac12 members. I don't think a gor matters much, if 8 members decide to disband.

Reactions: TU 1978
True and sickening

I don't recall any conference deal that ever seemed to be split between Fox & ESPN like this. I always thought they both negotiated to get more exclusive rights to a conference than this. Kind of an odd deal.

That wasn't what I was referring to. I was referring to your comment that shortly after the pac12 deal becomes known, the Big 16 becomes a reality. That could mean the Big 12 adds 4 Pac12 members, or it could mean the old big12 members disband, and join with 8 Pac12 members. I don't think a gor matters much, if 8 members decide to disband.
Ahhh. Sorry. The Big12 is in a good position to add 4 Pac12 schools imo. The Big12 TV contract provides for those additions without any decrease to its per school payouts. It’s my understanding the Pac12 media rights deal will be substantially less than the Big12s. Always subject to change until the Pac12 signs it’s deal.

Just imagine what we could do with $50m in additional tv revenue every year.
Unfortunately, we're stuck with Monty ball and have no appeal to one of the bigger conferences to add us. If we were winning regularly, then maybe b/c Tulsa as a metro area watches a lot of college football. SMU is going to push like hell but they only get a bid if the PAC 12 holds together....TCU will make sure of that.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
Unfortunately, we're stuck with Monty ball and have no appeal to one of the bigger conferences to add us. If we were winning regularly, then maybe b/c Tulsa as a metro area watches a lot of college football. SMU is going to push like hell but they only get a bid if the PAC 12 holds together....TCU will make sure of that.
I have a little different perspective. Unless the Big12 falls apart (which now looks highly unlikely), SMU will never get a Big12 bid. SMU’s best hope would be for the Big12 to add four Pac12 schools and then go to the Pac12 as a replacement. The Pac12 failed to reach an media rights agreement during its negotiation window so it remains to be seen what the final deal will look like. It will almost certainly be less than the Big12 deal making a move for some of those Pac12 teams lucrative. Thinking all this will be sorted out in the next 3 to 6 months….maybe sooner

Every conference will get a little more money than they did during the last rounds of negotiation. My thinking is there are more players in the game, Amazon, Apple for example.

I'm sure AAC will be just fine.

Not surprised at B-12 money although I had no idea what the amount would be. It is still way behind the $100Mill the B-10 and SEC are getting but it's still $50 Mill.

Tulsa should be just fine paying the bills with the TV revenue going forward.

GO TU!!!!

Reactions: lawpoke87
There will also be a revenue bump from the expanded playoff format. Rumor had been that Amazon was going to be a player in the Big12 package. At the end of the day that failed to materialize. Assume Amazon and the Pac12 May now make a deal.

Word coming out of the Pac12 is the final and best offer for their media rights is $25M per year. The contract was presented to the school Presidents today. They decline to vote on said contract. Washington and Oregon want a greater share than the other remaining schools. Add to their problems is the Pac-12 schools have apparently been significantly overpaid under their current media rights contract. To the tune of $5M per school. That money is supposedly have to either be paid back or credited toward the new contract. Also, there are a number of games which are scheduled to be broadcast by Amazon.

Not sure how it all plays out. The deal appears to be $6-7M less than the Big12 contract and includes significant content on Amazon. I would be surprised if Wash and Oregon sign any grant of rights without unequal revenue sharing. The problem is unequal revenue sharing would likely mean an immediate jump by the Arizona schools along with Utah to the Big12. Stay tuned

Word coming out of the Pac12 is the final and best offer for their media rights is $25M per year. The contract was presented to the school Presidents today. They decline to vote on said contract. Washington and Oregon want a greater share than the other remaining schools. Add to their problems is the Pac-12 schools have apparently been significantly overpaid under their current media rights contract. To the tune of $5M per school. That money is supposedly have to either be paid back or credited toward the new contract. Also, there are a number of games which are scheduled to be broadcast by Amazon.

Not sure how it all plays out. The deal appears to be $6-7M less than the Big12 contract and includes significant content on Amazon. I would be surprised if Wash and Oregon sign any grant of rights without unequal revenue sharing. The problem is unequal revenue sharing would likely mean an immediate jump by the Arizona schools along with Utah to the Big12. Stay tuned
And Colorado right?

And Colorado right?
Colorado does zero for me other than add the Denver market but probably would be the addition. I’m skeptical Colorado will ever have the level of commitment to fund its athletic programs at a high level. You swing and miss with Oregon and Wash first.

Colorado does zero for me other than add the Denver market but probably would be the addition. I’m skeptical Colorado will ever have the level of commitment to fund its athletic programs at a high level. You swing and miss with Oregon and Wash first.
I just figure the step sister goes along with the other 3 four corners schools, as travel partners and such. Keeps the # of schools even, rather than odd. Not necessarily the best reasons, but I figure it will happen that way.

I just figure the step sister goes along with the other 3 four corners schools, as travel partners and such. Keeps the # of schools even, rather than odd. Not necessarily the best reasons, but I figure it will happen that way.
That scenario does make the most sense. The Bi12 will go after Oregon and Wash first. When that fails I assume they will try to add those four. PAC12 still has a window to hold their conference together as well. Lots of competing interest there as well as lower payouts.

Oregon and Washington want into the B1G. And if the B1G was smart, they would take them. 2 more west coast teams so you could get USC and UCLA and those 2 a guaranteed 3 games for shorter travel purposes. Plus Oregon brings a lot with it with Nike. Washington is a traditional power in football as well.

The question is whether they get the same amount as the other original Big12 schools.
I believe their contract is similar to that of the new AAC members. They will receive a reduced share for the first several years and then become fully vested.

Oregon and Wash to the Big10 makes the most sense. I find it a little odd the invite hasn’t occurred. Almost like the Big10 is willing to destabilize the Pac-12 by taking 2 of its members but wants to avoid the optics of killing the conference. Thus they will wait until the conference implodes and then take Oregon and Wash.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Memphis still making a BIG push to position themselves to get one of the last lifeboats out of this watered-down league:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: javastan
Memphis still making a BIG push to get position themselves to get one or the last lifeboats out of this watered-down league:

They are in so much debt it’s not even funny. Nobody is coming to save them, nobody would touch them. All of their talk about expanding and renovating, except the parts funded by the city, is puffery to try and raise money to retire their debt. And anyone with money to give close to the program knows it. They ain’t going anywhere.

Will all come down to the dollars and who stays in the Pac12. It the conference stays together I don’t see how SMU can pass on an invite.

Good for SMU if this plays out. Pac-12 showing how limited its expansion choices are, they'd be pulling a Big 12 with those two.

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
Bringing in 20 or 25 million a year is a lot better than 7 million! Plus more attractive opponents.
A potion of that money will be eaten up by travel, but they would likely still come out better than they are now. Crazy to think of what we could do with an extra $15-20m per year here at TU.

One can dream.

Now being on north Texas state and Florida Atlantic 🤢

Last edited:
SMU isn’t a west coast school. Not a good fit.
And USC and UCLA are big 10 teams? Not a lot of common ground between the upper midwest and the left coast..

SMU would fit because it would give the league a presence in DFW market..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT