ADVERTISEMENT

Big win

The Big 10 teams were in the polls when UCF was ranked #11. Ohio St was #6, PSU 10, Oregon 14, Wisc 19, Mich 23.
True, but I still agree with Henry Kendall's point. UCF did not look like the #11 team in the country. No team with a ranking that high should be getting that many penalties.

Reactions: HuffyCane
True, but I still agree with Henry Kendall's point. UCF did not look like the #11 team in the country. No team with a ranking that high should be getting that many penalties.
I agree, they’ve had trouble with false starts in several games this season. Their OL really hurt them. I’m not sure they won’t move back up in the rankings if they figure that out though. I just hope they don’t start to meltdown.

I’d take the Notre Dame win above this one. Even though they weren’t ranked at the time (I think).
They weren't ranked and they weren't even very good that season. They had just lost handily to Navy the week prior and it was Brian Kelly's first season after replacing Weiss. ND was my team before Tulsa was but that win is really overrated. The dismantling of Hawaii is a better win IMHO.

This win would have been like if Graham or Blankenship had been able to take down some of those really good UH teams they faced in 09 or 2011. Graham got really close to beating #13 Houston and #5 Boise in that 09' season but the team wasn't good enough to close them out yet.

Last edited:
Both Hawaii and Notre Dame were significantly less talented than several Fresno State teams we beat, including the Liberty Bowl.

Nobody cares about Lamar, Fresno or Hawaii. Or UCF, but that’s changing

Beating Notre Dame on the road is a bigger win. Ten years later people still stop me on the street to talk about that game when they see me wearing TU gear.

Both Hawaii and Notre Dame were significantly less talented than several Fresno State teams we beat, including the Liberty Bowl.

Nobody cares about Lamar, Fresno or Hawaii. Or UCF, but that’s changing

Beating Notre Dame on the road is a bigger win. Ten years later people still stop me on the street to talk about that game when they see me wearing TU gear.
No one has ever asked me a single question about ND Tulsa. People at work do notice when you beat #11 though.

There was nothing suggesting UCF was not the #11 team in the country when you look at their 1st two games which they thoroughly dominated. By saying they're over rated you are devaluing how good our defense is...and our defense is a top 20 D in the country. Hell, all of a sudden you've got ESPN game announcers gushing over our DBs, gushing over Zaven Collins, and this week Gilmore started giving praise to Smith once he found a rhythm.

Our D is that good. They were really good last year. They might be better this year (and who thought that coming in). Goodlow is a freaking best at DE. He's long, big, and fast. Jaxon Player is a nightmare for OL none of whom are as strong as he is OR as fast. Hell, I still am amazed that Player was about to track Anderson down from behind. 5 more yards and Player gets him. We're talking a 6' 310lb bowling ball chasing down a RB/WR. Wright is a freaking monster at LB. Ray is maybe as good as Dexter McCoil and McKinley Whitfield. Revels. TieNeal. Powers. Williams. All played great football the other night. I haven't even mentioned Tyarise Stevenson. And the depth is outstanding on D.

And maybe OSU's defense is a lot better...They've really buckled down the last couple of games and haven't given WVU or Kansas much space at all.

Again, if we can lock Monty up somewhere, this team has a chance to do something really special.

There was nothing suggesting UCF was not the #11 team in the country when you look at their 1st two games which they thoroughly dominated. By saying they're over rated you are devaluing how good our defense is...and our defense is a top 20 D in the country. Hell, all of a sudden you've got ESPN game announcers gushing over our DBs, gushing over Zaven Collins, and this week Gilmore started giving praise to Smith once he found a rhythm.

Our D is that good. They were really good last year. They might be better this year (and who thought that coming in). Goodlow is a freaking best at DE. He's long, big, and fast. Jaxon Player is a nightmare for OL none of whom are as strong as he is OR as fast. Hell, I still am amazed that Player was about to track Anderson down from behind. 5 more yards and Player gets him. We're talking a 6' 310lb bowling ball chasing down a RB/WR. Wright is a freaking monster at LB. Ray is maybe as good as Dexter McCoil and McKinley Whitfield. Revels. TieNeal. Powers. Williams. All played great football the other night. I haven't even mentioned Tyarise Stevenson. And the depth is outstanding on D.

And maybe OSU's defense is a lot better...They've really buckled down the last couple of games and haven't given WVU or Kansas much space at all.

Again, if we can lock Monty up somewhere, this team has a chance to do something really special.

Zaven Collins played an incredible game. Tackles, sacks, interception, safety... That guy did everything a defensive player could have to help his team win. His post-game comments were especially solid and enjoyable (go watch it if you haven't).

That play where Jaxon was chasing the RB from behind was astounding for a DL his size. That's NFL talent. I mean, he had to hurdle somebody on the ground and he was still keeping up, if not gaining, on their RB. Player and Stevenson were both lead blockers on our goal line score too.

Fresno was the only team that came close to beating Ntl. champs USC that year( within 7 or 8 points as I recall). Unfortunately for them, Paul Smith, Ash Davis, U. Parrish & Tarrion Adams were not what they were expecting.

Fresno was the only team that came close to beating Ntl. champs USC that year( within 7 or 8 points as I recall). Unfortunately for them, Paul Smith, Ash Davis, U. Parrish & Tarrion Adams were not what they were expecting.
Exactly. One of the most expertly coached games I have ever seen. What a game!

Slightly revisionist history. That season was the year of the Bush Push at Notre Dame. ND only lost by 3. Fresno lost by 8.

That was a great win....you guys deserved it! ..........Collins is a beast he would start for Alabama .............now to the future games........Confidence gained, a really good QB, ( I know early interceptions, but he has the ability) underrated defense, excellent skill players........Cincinnati will be tough, and I am saying toss up.......no reason you guys can't run the rest of the schedule.........I will be pulling for you!

Slightly revisionist history. That season was the year of the Bush Push at Notre Dame. ND only lost by 3. Fresno lost by 8.
Sort of. Two Heisman trophy winners needed two turnovers in the last ten minutes to score 9 points and come from behind to win. They were criminally under rated at Number 16. The team was loaded. Also, Notre Dame was at home. Fresno was leading on the road deep in the 4th Qtr.

If the season ended today, Zaven would/should get an invite to NY for the Heisman.
Except he doesn't play QB. So few deserving players that aren't QBs get recognized anymore. The number of Heisman finalists in the last 20 years who did not play QB is like 17. The number of defensive players on that list is like 4 (3 if you consider Jabril Peppers an offensive player...I think he was recognized solely because he played both ways). The other defensive players were Tyrann Mathieu (Honey Badger), Ndamukong Suh, and Catfish Teo. IMO, Collins is better than Teo. Mathieu and Suh are ridiculous talents that are rare.

I do think Collins will have a chance to get drafted pretty highly at the end of this year. There are a couple of teams he really fits with the defensive schemes well because of his versatility in coverage and ability to rush the passer. He's a good fit in Belichick's system in New England and probably would also work well in Detroit, Tennessee, and Miami because they all run the same defensive system. Also, the Houston Texans whose LBs are starting to age. I'd hate to see teams slot him in solely as a coverage backer or as a pass rusher only. I could see a team like Pittsburgh grab him and use him like they did James Harrison as that hybrid. I also really hope, for selfish reasons, he stays in school his last year (although I think he's on track to graduate this year).

Sort of. Two Heisman trophy winners needed two turnovers in the last ten minutes to score 9 points and come from behind to win. They were criminally under rated at Number 16. The team was loaded. Also, Notre Dame was at home. Fresno was leading on the road deep in the 4th Qtr.
USC was down by 4 at ND and needed a 4th down conversion on a last minute drive to get down the field.

Fresno followed up the USC loss with losses to unranked Nevada and La Tech. The same Nevada team that beat UCF by a point in overtime in Hawaii that season. Nevada would have been a better matchup for us that year. We got the 4th place WAC team that season while UCF who lost to us in the conference championship got the Co-Champions. Makes no sense.

Exactly. One of the most expertly coached games I have ever seen. What a game!
Pat HIll got a bad rap in Fresno and forced out way too soon. He was a really good coach. His guys would run through brick walls for him. Helps when you convince a pair of 1st round QBs to come to Fresno over PAC 10-12-14 schools. Can you imagine the Carr's running the show in Oregon when Chip Kelly was there? That would have been insane.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT