ADVERTISEMENT

Best pizza in Tulsa area?

Has anyone tried the pizza at The Rooftop in the Rose District of BA? I keep meaning to try that place. Last time I was through there, I picked up a pizza from Andolini's. As a side story, I got the Andolini's pizza because my dinner at In the Raw was garbage. ITR on Brookside and on the hill are great...ITR in the Rose District is just living off the name. Sushi was bland, the 1/2 ITR salad was half the normal size...bad experience.

You could say the same about all of Broken Arrow.
Someone told me the Andolini's in BA wasn't as good as on Brookside. The pie I got from the BA location was great, so maybe it's hit or miss. I did really enjoy Franklin's Pork & Barrel the one time I ate there.

Sorry...I'm getting off the pizza track a bit. Getting refocused...I tried the Pizza Shoppe in Bixby. It was fine for what it is -- a Midwest pizza chain. I preferred their "Butcher Block" above their other offerings. Nothing to write home about though.

No traffic cones at 31st & Harvard yesterday. Hopefully they're done with that area for a while.

Maybe they ran out of traffic cones? Or people are stealing them now instead of copper in order to make K2?

Don't let the name fool you. Sam & Ella's Chicken Palace in Tahlequah is the best pizza joint I've been to in a long time.

Try Prairie Fire Pie, next to Palace Cafe, on 15th. Small rectangle pizzas. All are good and unique. Very good salads. The wings are awesome. Great beer selection. It’s one of my favorite restaurants at the moment. No is ever in there.

I like the pizza at Elgin Park.

Andolini’s is kind our go to, but I think they overdid their product.

Umberto’s is going strong. We should support Mario’s more.

Mario's white pizza and their sausage pizza are both unique and among the best in the Tulsa area.

Try Prairie Fire Pie, next to Palace Cafe, on 15th. Small rectangle pizzas. All are good and unique. Very good salads. The wings are awesome. Great beer selection. It’s one of my favorite restaurants at the moment. No is ever in there.

I haven't had Umberto's since they moved...good to know it's going strong. Agree with you on supporting Mario's more. I tried Elgin Park a couple weeks ago and really enjoyed it.

I need to get out to Prairie Fire...I've heard good things about the meatball pizza there.

I haven't had Umberto's since they moved...good to know it's going strong. Agree with you on supporting Mario's more. I tried Elgin Park a couple weeks ago and really enjoyed it.

I need to get out to Prairie Fire...I've heard good things about the meatball pizza there.

I like the pizza with egg, but it’s best in small doses. The potato pizza is also good and I think we get the Margherita every time. But the wings tho. The wings.

Too bad.

From reading the article it wasn't because they weren't doing a decent business. I guess the family kept it going after the dad who started it passed away and they just wanted to move on. I enjoyed their pizza and it was one of the few places you could get a quality slice.

I enjoyed their pizza and it was one of the few places you could get a quality slice.
I always had Umberto's at the top of my list, along with Mario's, but I haven't been to Umberto's since they moved to 32nd & Harvard. So several years I guess....I don't know if it's still the same.

Has anyone tried Jimmy's New York Pizzeria behind the QT on 71st street between Mingo and Memorial? I've heard really good thinks. 4.8 out of 5 on Google.

Finally tried Prairie Fire. Pretty tasty...and you're right, nobody was in there. How do they stay in business? Their meatballs were awesome. Tulsa Flag on tap was a nice touch.

I always had Umberto's at the top of my list, along with Mario's, but I haven't been to Umberto's since they moved to 32nd & Harvard. So several years I guess....I don't know if it's still the same.

Has anyone tried Jimmy's New York Pizzeria behind the QT on 71st street between Mingo and Memorial? I've heard really good thinks. 4.8 out of 5 on Google.
Yes. It is owned by a former coworker of mine at ORU and his wife's family. The pizza is really good, and don't go in thinking you need 2 slices...a single slice will do. They are giant. I like it a lot. Reminds me of a place called Rainoni's which started in NYC and then opened up a bunch of franchises in malls along the east coast. You could not beat a slice from there. Jimmy's NY is close...really, really, close.

Yes. It is owned by a former coworker of mine at ORU and his wife's family. The pizza is really good, and don't go in thinking you need 2 slices...a single slice will do. They are giant. I like it a lot. Reminds me of a place called Rainoni's which started in NYC and then opened up a bunch of franchises in malls along the east coast. You could not beat a slice from there. Jimmy's NY is close...really, really, close.
Good to know...I'll definitely check it out. My all-time favorite slice is from Sal & Carmine's on Broadway (between Upper West Side and Columbia University).

Reactions: TU_BLA
Look at y'all talkin' 'bout your fancy NYC pizza. I had me some Casey's pizza for lunch. Better than that QT stuff!

Reactions: HuffyCane
Good to know...I'll definitely check it out. My all-time favorite slice is from Sal & Carmine's on Broadway (between Upper West Side and Columbia University).
Well, NYC is one of my least favorite places on the planet TBH. Smells funny.

There was a place across from my dorm at Boston University where you could get a large pizza during the week for $3. I can tell you with certainty it was freaking amazing unlike the $3 Luigi's pizza you used to get walking down the street and across 11th from LaFortune.

I’ve had days where I’m driving to some god forsaken place for Court and that QT pizza ain’t bad. Beats the taquitos.

NYC and Umbertos top my local rankings at the moment.

I tried PI in STL a couple of weeks back. It was good but my flag didn’t even get unfurled. Overrated but not bad.

I’ve had days where I’m driving to some god forsaken place for Court and that QT pizza ain’t bad. Beats the taquitos.

I tried PI in STL a couple of weeks back. It was good but my flag didn’t even get unfurled. Overrated but not bad.
Agree on Pi being overrated. La Pizza is over rated there too. Frank and Helen’s if you are old school. Melo’s and Dewey’s are very very good.

Got carry out from Sam & Ella’s in Pryor today. Every bit as good as the original location in Tahlequah.

Umberto's is great pizza. I also like D'Oro a lot. Marco's, for a chain, is much better than any of the other chains (Mazzio's, Pizza Hut, Domino's, etc.) . There is a little hidden place, Jimmy's New York Pizza, tucked behind the QT on 71st behind Saieed's, it has a really good (and really LARGE) slice of pizza. Traditional New York, thin crust but not super crispy so you can fold it. And there's something to be said for Andolini's pepperoni (or whoever makes their large diameter pepperoni). Their take out pizza kits have become quite popular in our house.

I went to Minuteman Pizza last year. It’s fine. But the menu/ crazy wingnut attitude is why you go. I was entertained.

NYC on Harvard has been our go to during the pandemic.

Also, Bohemian delivers through DoorDash. That place is remarkable. Pasta is good, too.

There is a little hidden place, Jimmy's New York Pizza, tucked behind the QT on 71st behind Saieed's, it has a really good (and really LARGE) slice of pizza. Traditional New York, thin crust but not super crispy so you can fold it.
I've heard good things about Jimmy's from my New Jersey native friend. I saw it a couple years ago but have never made it by to try. Sounds authentic...I believe the family is from NY.

I've heard good things about Jimmy's from my New Jersey native friend. I saw it a couple years ago but have never made it by to try. Sounds authentic...I believe the family is from NY.
I believe so. I know of it and got some early free taste tests in because a co-worker from when I was at ORU was marrying into the family and is running their marketing/accounting side of things. It is a family business. They also shut down for the week of the wedding.

If you don't want to eat at restaurant where none of the employees are wearing mask, Jimmy's is not your place right now. I was there 10 days ago, no mask being worn by any employees, kitchen or anywhere.

If you don't want to eat at restaurant where none of the employees are wearing mask, Jimmy's is not your place right now. I was there 10 days ago, no mask being worn by any employees, kitchen or anywhere.
I heard that early in the pandemic, but I'm shocked to hear they still aren't wearing masks.

I went to Minuteman Pizza last year. It’s fine. But the menu/ crazy wingnut attitude is why you go. I was entertained.
I grew up in Sand Springs. My dad‘s office was next-door to Minuteman Pizza, when it was with the original owners Ron and Wanda Dobbs in downtown SS. Nothing remarkable about it, but that was my earliest exposure to pizza. This would have been the early 70s. A pizza and a Big Red soda from the fountain.

So for those of us who haven’t had pizza in Tulsa in 40 years (except at Hideaway) what would you suggest that would be equivalent to the My Pi pizza that was on south Lewis in the 1970s?

It isn’t like this is new news, but ate again at Bohemian last night. Reinforced why it’s my favorite pizza destination ever. The scarpetta appetizer was off the charts. Plus the vibe is great.

Gaetano's Pizzeria & Creamery in Jenks is awesome. They did have a second location at 81st & Harvard but really honestly no restaurant has ever had success at that intersection.

That’s good to know. I just happened to look at their website this morning, and it looked pretty ordinary. Glad to hear it is good. I will try it out. Plus there is a liquor store in the same shopping center that I want to check out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT