ADVERTISEMENT

Best pizza in Tulsa area?

Chris Harmon

ITS Publisher
Staff
Aug 15, 2002
Tulsa, OK
tulsa.rivals.com
We have such a great burger thread, and while I don’t frequent the “General” board, I thought we needed a pizza thread.

Below are some of my favorites in no particular order, and I’m sure I’m forgetting some. I list some places down below that I just haven’t taken the time to try, so I’d love to hear thoughts on those places.

Mario’s - was my clear #1 until I had Umberto's. New York style. Along with Umberto's, this is as close as you’ll get to real-deal pizza from the five boroughs, such as Sal & Carmine’s on Broadway, which is my all-time favorite pizza. The last pie I had from Mario’s was their BA location, and it wasn’t quite as good for some reason.

Umberto's - amazingly it may have a slight edge in overall taste to Mario's, but crust isn't quite as good...a little too chewy and slightly thicker than normal NY style. Their shop smells just like you walked into a pizza joint in Manhattan. This is now my co-#1 with Mario's.

Uncle Vinny’s - this was just about as good as Mario’s, but I hear the one in south Tulsa closed. Is the one in BA still open? I haven’t been by there in a while. NY style, by the way.

Andolini's - Excellent pizza. It is self-proclaimed "Tulsa Style" Pizza infused with passion and Italian roots. Regardless of what style you call it, it's dang tasty.

Savastano’s - incredible amount of cheese on this killer Chicago style deep dish. Really good, and it is great to have it around after Uno’s left.

Pie Hole - 15th & Delaware NY style pizza joint. Pretty good, but not at the Mario’s level.

Goodfella’s - this place is in Coweta, and they have a couple locations near Grand Lake. This is what I call “Midwestern” style pizza, like a better version of Mazzio’s or Pizza Hut. The regular pizza is good, but their “BOSS” pizza with everything but the kitchen sink on it is incredible. It is similar to the “Mobster” at Gambino’s pizza in Ketchum near Grand Lake. The pile-of-meat "GANGSTER" pizza is also excellent. They have specials almost every day on Facebook.

Hideaway - most everyone has had Hideaway Pizza. Not bad.

Joe Momma's - kind of in between NY and Midwestern style, like Hideaway. Good stuff and lots of unique specialty pies.

Gaetano's - Local joint in Jenks at 121st & Elm. They are a homestyle, Midwestern style. Crust is good if you like a chewy outer crust. They have killer pepperoni rolls and also have an ice cream shoppe.

Hey Mambo - I’ve only had one pie there, the ‘Center of the Universe’, and it was fantastic.

Sonoma - I’m throwing this in the ‘gourmet’ pizza category...different than traditional pizza. It is pizza you can enjoy with a glass of wine.

Marley’s - there are limited choices in Tulsa for legit Chicago style deep dish, and Marley’s is very good. However, it isn’t as good as Savastano’s, so I likely won’t be back to Marley’s while Savastano’s is in business.

Some places I’ve heard great things about but have never tried for some reason include:

NYC Pizza (47th & Harvard)
B-52 Pizza (on 71st toward Forrest Ridge)
La Roma (61st & Sheridan)
Nico’s Brick Oven Pizza (81st & 145th)

For those that like the chain pizzas such as Papa Johns, Pizza Hut and Mazzio’s, you might try Marco’s pizza in the strip center near 81st & Garnett. It is a notch above all those others.

Speaking of chains, Tulsa has gone too long without Godfathers. If there is one in the area that I don't know about, please educate me.

I gotta try Savastano’s. While I wasn't a huge fan of Uno's, Lou Malnati's is Downtown Chicago is the best Pizza that I have ever had. If Savastano’s approaches that it will become a favorite of mine.

I've never had a lot of those.
Savastano’s was pretty good when we ate but the service was as bad as gets.
Umbertos is awesome. Their pepperonis are the best anywhere and their supreme personal (still huge) calzone is spectacular.
Andolinis is great but most teenagers in Owasso have no work ethic so if service is base on them it usually sucks. I've the one Cherry St has great service though.
Went to Hey Mambo yesterday and their pizza line was down. I got a sandwich with homemade sausage that came with fried potatoes and it was mehh. Not great but certainly not horrible. I'll go back to try their pizza.
Hideaway. I love it. It seems to get a bad rap but I think it's great.

Originally posted by TUMe:
I gotta try Savastano’s. While I wasn't a huge fan of Uno's, Lou Malnati's is Downtown Chicago is the best Pizza that I have ever had. If Savastano’s approaches that it will become a favorite of mine.
You definitely need to try it. I liked Uno's just fine, and Savastano's is much better.

Originally posted by Weatherdemon:
Umbertos is awesome. Their pepperonis are the best anywhere and their supreme personal (still huge) calzone is spectacular.
Many people tell me Umberto's is best in town, so I'm not sure why I've never tried it...because I'm a pizza fanatic. I've got to get over there soon.

Good list. I concur on Mario's as a clear favorite.

A few others:

Joe Momma's. I like it more than Hideaway. They figured out there is a market for late night food downtown.

Stonehorse. Makes a fine pie.

NYC Pizza. They say they taught Mario's how to make pizza. It feels a little more like NYC than Mario's, at least atmosphere. The folks that own it are nice. I like Mario's more.

The Andolini's on 15th is aight. Haven't made up my mind yet. They do have nice people working there.

White Owl makes pizza. It's not bad.

The pie I'm the most excited about is at the new grill at Summit Club.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

I just realized I left out Joe Momma's from my list. I like their pizza...on par with Hideaway, as Gold said. Blake Ewing, the owner, seems like a cool guy, and I like what he has done with his other ventures.

Does anyone that has been around here for a while and likes Chicago style pizza remember a place called My Pie? My dad says he has never had a pizza as good as theirs, I guess its been gone from here for a while now and only ones left are in Chicago.

My Pie was good pizza. It was located on S. Lewis between 51st & 61st(?)...

My favorites (at this time) are:

1. Mario's on 51st--"The sauce is the boss." Huge slices. Meatball and Italian Sausage are great. They also serve a good gabagool sub. Eggplant too.

2. Hideaway--Mainly for their "Sweet Sedona" pie. I put pineapple on it, which no Italian would ever do.

3. La Roma at 61st and Sheridan--Mainly a Lebanese place but the pizza is excellent. Small, family owned establishment.

Hopefully, I can get some Umbertos soon. Heard great things about it.

Umberto's gets bonus points because they deliver. But a buddy of mine thinks it's better than Mario's, so I never include it in my rankings to even things out.

Gold, your buddy might be on to something. With all the pizza talk yesterday, I couldn't resist...I ordered a 16-inch pie from Umbertos, half sausage, half pepperoni.

It...was...incredible! When I walked in, it smelled just like those good pizza joints in Manhattan.

The pepperoni was excellent, and the sausage side was loaded with topping. The sausage had a little bit of a zing to it, which I liked.

I hate to do this, but I may actually have to give it a ever-so-slight edge in taste to Mario's (I can't believe I just typed that). However, the crust was a little bit too chewy, so Mario's still takes it on the crust. It was a bit thicker than your normal NY style.

I'm going to call it a tie, with Mario's and Umberto's as my co-#1. Here's a photo I took with my phone:

1098555.jpg

This post was edited on 5/27 10:29 AM by Chris Harmon

Man! That looks good! Glad you liked it!
Joe Mommas is pretty good too, glad you brought them up. They have an all meat supreme called Hercules or something lIke that that is outstanding.

After tax, it was like $14.25 or something like that. Thing was enormous.

Seems like they do a 10", 12", 14", 16", 18" and 20".

You pay more for pizza at places like Umberto's and Mario's...but it is SO worth it.

For the record, Guisano's pizza (101st & Mingo) SUCKS. The Chicago style is horrible and their specialty pizzas are barely marginal.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Originally posted by Weatherdemon:
Man! That looks good! Glad you liked it!
Joe Mommas is pretty good too, glad you brought them up. They have an all meat supreme called Hercules or something lIke that that is outstanding.

I have found Joe Mommas seriously lacking in the good pie category. Their crust sucks.

The problem with Joe Momma's is that I can't be expected to read the menu after midnight. The last time I wound up with some buffalo chicken/bacon concoction. Hell, I probably saw the words bacon and peppers and asked Where do I sign up!?

Give me La Roma anytime!! Marios and Umbertos are great NY pizza but for a great pie head to the friendly family at La Roma's.
Chicago style is a lock for Sabestinos but be prepared for a very long wait.
New comer on Peoria, wood fire oven pizza is pretty darn good.

I like LEC's response! Yeah, baby!

Originally posted by t-townpod:
Give me La Roma anytime!! Marios and Umbertos are great NY pizza but for a great pie head to the friendly family at La Roma's.

How many countries we going to for pizza authenticity? NY is a country, and Chicago is too (
happy.gif
), But I don't wish to have a el mexico pizza. They try BAD.

new place called Goo-Ruu's pizza on Admiral by the Hard Rock is awesome. it is actually in the old shopping center on the southwest corner of Admiral and 193rd. Next to the Dollar General.
This post was edited on 6/4 9:28 PM by AvsRick

Anyone remember "Clancy's" it was somewhere around 11th or 21st and Mingo or Garnett. They had a great crust. I think the owner was pro-rassler.

Stopped in for a quick slice Monday after dropping Derrick off this weekend and I must say I was very impressed with the pizza at Umberto's!

I've been eating a ton of Goodfellas Pizza in Coweta as of late...really good stuff. Their one-toppers are good...but The Boss, The Hit Man and The Gangster are where its at. SO MANY TOPPINGS...and top level ingredients. If you are ever near Main (Broadway) in Coweta, it's worth it.

outside Tulsa.. Minute Man in Sand Springs.. Prattville side.

In Tulsa that little place on 51st and Peoria with the guy that talks race horses all day.. think its Marios

If anyone happens to be in the Bartlesville area, there is a new little place downtown called Sweet Lou's that makes a pretty mean brick oven pizza.

Joe Momma's probably gets my vote for best in Tulsa. Since I live out of town I don't frequent alot of delivery/carry out places though.

The DJ story just broke & I need to get my mind off of TU Football for a minute. I loved MyPie back in the day & Hideaway is great but pricey. I kinda like Marley's for bang for the buck. BTW, Chris- I really liked Godfather's too but it went bankrupt several years ago. As a sidelight, a former CEO of Godfather's ( who had nothing to do with the bkptcy) is a republican presidential candidate named Herman Cain, a black man who I admire very much & who I wished had a chance to get the nomination. He'd make a great president, IMO.

If you're looking for a nice alternative, the Gluten-Free pizza at Joe Mammas is very good. It's got a thin-crust and it is very well seasoned. I'm about 90% gluten-free these days and you can eat it and you won't feel bloated, just happy you had a good pizza.

Originally posted by AztecIndian:
I like LEC's response! Yeah, baby!

Originally posted by t-townpod:

How many countries we going to for
pizza authenticity? NY is a country, and Chicago is too (
happy.gif
), But I don't
wish to have a el mexico pizza. They try BAD.

Sorry for delay getting back. La romas not Mexican. Actually a French name. Owned by a French/lebanese family that makes great pizza and mediterranean food. Try it without the tacos.
This post was edited on 11/3 9:43 PM by t-townpod

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT