ADVERTISEMENT

Best burger in Tulsa?

I drove by Bill's Jumbo Burgers one day last week. The parking lot was completely full and many cars on the street. Looked like they had plenty of customers. Been awhile since I've been to Bill's. If I get brave, I will go.

It’s great. Given the propaganda on their walls, I will wait out Covid. There is no social distancing there. The entire building may be 6X6.

Freddie’s on Lewis is my leader right now.

Got a double cheeseburger with onions fried in at Claud's last week. To go only right now. Really hit the spot. Had a big order of them french fried p'taters with it and was quite stuffed.

If I owned a taste-e-freez, I would totally put potted meat on the menu right below French fried pataters. Ah-hum

Reactions: Chris Harmon
2020 rankings

1. Fat Guy’s
2. Howdy Burger
3. Freddie’s on Lewis
4. Weber’s
5. Claud’s

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
The chili cheese burger got me through the last two years at TU, no doubt. Pretty sure the pickle bar was the only green vegetable I ate for months
The burgers at Goldie's are OK. it's the different combo of toppings and the pickle bar that make Goldie's a good place to eat.

Reactions: HuffyCane
The burgers at Goldie's are OK. it's the different combo of toppings and the pickle bar that make Goldie's a good place to eat.
When Switzer owned part of it the quality of the beef was significantly better. After he sold in the mid 90s it nose dived. Haven’t been back since.

Last edited:
I have a buddy that ran track at TU in the late 80s to early 90s. He lives in Houston, and every time he comes back to Tulsa, we have to go to Goldie's...and he EATS. Burger, fries, onion rings, side of chili, couple Mt. Dews. He orders the burger with an extra shake of the seasoning or something. True Goldie's connoisseur.
Clearly he was well educated at TU.

Happy Burger in Sapulpa is still really good (ate there last summer), McDonalds original Sapulpa location was next door. Happy Burger outlasted them and the location of Mickey D’S was moved several miles away.

Haven’t eaten at the old Tastee Freeze on 36th or 46th St North just east of Peoria in years but it was always good. They didn’t really follow the TF model. It was a very good fried burger loaded with your choice of extras. James Quick Tillis use to be a regular in the 80’s.

I read in TW today, Freddie Willis, owner of Freddie's passed. He was 61.
Huh, I wonder if it's, the guy I'm thinking 🤔 of, or if it's his relative. Too many family 👪 members in that business to know. I dont know who is Mark, Tammy, or Freddie. I think i'm thinking bout Mark. RIP, so young.

ALERT TOP STORY
Freddie's Hamburgers on Lewis Avenue to close Friday
James D. Watts Jr. Sep 17, 2021 Updated 4 hrs ago 0
Super Bowl food: Hamburgers
Freddie's Hamburgers, 802 S, Lewis
James D. Watts Jr.
The Freddie's Hamburgers at 802 S. Lewis Ave., will close permanently at the end of service Friday.

The business, specializing in old-fashioned burgers, hand-cut fries, onion rings and milkshakes, has been serving Tulsans since 1954.

Owner Frank Willis died earlier this year of complications following routine hip surgery.

Freddie's had traditionally closed in late September in order to man the various food booths it operates during the Tulsa State Fair, which will be held this year Sept. 30-Oct. 10 at the Expo Square fairgrounds. Freddie's operates several hamburger booths as well as sites serving roasted corn-on-the-cob, giant cinnamon rolls and other sweet treats.

The other two Freddie's locations, at 9130 E. 11th St., and 11223 E. Admiral Place, will also shutter beginning Sept. 24 for the state fair. The 11th Street shop will re-open Oct. 14; the Admiral Place location will announce its reopening at a later date.

Happy Burger in Sapulpa is still really good (ate there last summer), McDonalds original Sapulpa location was next door. Happy Burger outlasted them and the location of Mickey D’S was moved several miles away.

Haven’t eaten at the old Tastee Freeze on 36th or 46th St North just east of Peoria in years but it was always good. They didn’t really follow the TF model. It was a very good fried burger loaded with your choice of extras. James Quick Tillis use to be a regular in the 80’s.
Happy Burger was a staple of my diet back in the early 1980s. Hard to beat the Happy Burger special back in the day. Just a great burger. Hated to see the Summers’ family sell it. Suppose all things change. Haven’t been back in years. Might now need to make a trip this weekend.

Speaking of Sapulpa and burgers in the early 80s, anyone ever try DJs?

Guess Bills Jumbo Burger will be my go to from now on. Lot's of places closing that have been in business forever. Perry's being the last one before Freddies.

Reactions: TUMU
New Hong Kong at 11th and birmingham/Columbia was a decent way too cheap Chinese restaurant 🍴 that was open for 15 or 20 years.

It shut down a year ago last spring. I'm sure covid didn't help, but a serious arm injury/problem by the husband/cook was the main reason.

They put their kids through Ivy League schools with that restaurant. The kids didn't have a desire to come run 🏃 the restaurant, after getting their degrees. Don't blame them. That's the American dream. Movin' on up, to the east side…

ALERT TOP STORY
Freddie's Hamburgers on Lewis Avenue to close Friday
James D. Watts Jr. Sep 17, 2021 Updated 4 hrs ago 0
Super Bowl food: Hamburgers
Freddie's Hamburgers, 802 S, Lewis
James D. Watts Jr.
The Freddie's Hamburgers at 802 S. Lewis Ave., will close permanently at the end of service Friday.

The business, specializing in old-fashioned burgers, hand-cut fries, onion rings and milkshakes, has been serving Tulsans since 1954.

Owner Frank Willis died earlier this year of complications following routine hip surgery.

Freddie's had traditionally closed in late September in order to man the various food booths it operates during the Tulsa State Fair, which will be held this year Sept. 30-Oct. 10 at the Expo Square fairgrounds. Freddie's operates several hamburger booths as well as sites serving roasted corn-on-the-cob, giant cinnamon rolls and other sweet treats.

The other two Freddie's locations, at 9130 E. 11th St., and 11223 E. Admiral Place, will also shutter beginning Sept. 24 for the state fair. The 11th Street shop will re-open Oct. 14; the Admiral Place location will announce its reopening at a later date.
I didn't find out about this until yesterday afternoon while driving home from a stop in Claremore. If I had known sooner, I would've tried to stop by and get one last burger there. I hadn't been in a while.

Reactions: TUMU
I didn't find out about this until yesterday afternoon while driving home from a stop in Claremore. If I had known sooner, I would've tried to stop by and get one last burger there. I hadn't been in a while.

My last time was July, 2020. Had to eat outside. Counter was closed. Eating at the counter and watching the cooks was part of the experience.
Haven't been to either of the other two locations.

I think the others are older places we have discussed before.

Adding 2 new places for folks to try:
1) Howdy Burger- It's a decent burger, along the lines of What-a-Burger. It's a McNellie's Group concept. The fries are good as well. They add a "howdy sauce" to most of their burgers. It's a combo of mustard, ketchup, and mayo. I'm a mustard guy so I just went with mustard. Decent burger, decent price.

2) Shaky Jake's Burgers and Franks- it's in BA and it's the evening business and menu in the Bramble location in the Rose District. Burger was fantastic and they've go some interesting combos. I got the Buffalo Bleu burger which combined a bleu cheese and buffalo sauce on a decent sized burger with onion straws, lettuce, pickles, etc. It was good. The curly fries are fantastic. My wife said the onion rings were A+. We also ordered the Cuban egg rolls as an appetizer. Really good as well. Their menu is ecclectic. My daughter got honey BBQ wings. The wings were really meaty (as opposed to BBW). You get a nice sized portion as well. My son got some sort of Cowboy Smoke burger which combined a burger with pulled pork and bacon and a bbq sauce topper. it comes with an onion ring on it as well. My wife got one of the hot dogs which had red onion, avocado, and some sort of sauce on it. She really liked it. If you're a burger connoisseur, this place will definitely be worth your time to try.

Thanks, Bla. I will have to try those out. Shaky Jake's sounds interesting.

As of now, Society has shot to the top of my list. Just their basic Okie burger is fantastic.

Glad to see the burger thread still has life🍔

Howdy has a location in Motherroad. They clearly have fantasies it will sprout into a cult In-n-Out type thing. It’s good. Worth what I paid. Not risky going back.

Howdy has a location in Motherroad. They clearly have fantasies it will sprout into a cult In-n-Out type thing. It’s good. Worth what I paid. Not risky going back.
I wonder how they expect that location around the corner(old lotaburger) to not compete with themselves at the Motherroad location. Seems counter intuitive to have those locations so close together. Quik Trip/Mickie D's(*2) model? Guess they think tourists won't realize there are two locations that close together? Makes no sense. Maybe a test location to possibly close down the Motherroad location in the near future if the lotaburger does well/better?

Last edited:
Makes no sense. Maybe a test location to possibly close down the Motherroad location in the near future if the lotaburger does well/better?
I was in Denver last summer and saw a burger place do the same thing. Relatively close to Mile High Stadium, Denver has a place kind of like Motherroad. According to my sister-in-law, who lives a mile from the place in Denver, they use their "pop-up" location to test out new menu item ideas, and if they're a success, they add them to the permanent menu at the drive-thru location.

Not sure if that is what Howdy is doing, but the only thing I could think of.

I was in Denver last summer and saw a burger place do the same thing. Relatively close to Mile High Stadium, Denver has a place kind of like Motherroad. According to my sister-in-law, who lives a mile from the place in Denver, they use their "pop-up" location to test out new menu item ideas, and if they're a success, they add them to the permanent menu at the drive-thru location.

Not sure if that is what Howdy is doing, but the only thing I could think of.
I haven't been to motherroad location since the stand alone started, to see if they are doing that. That's definitely possible. The next time I'm in motherroad I'll check their menu, and probably ask why they are having two locations so close together.

Adding 2 new places for folks to try:
1) Howdy Burger- It's a decent burger, along the lines of What-a-Burger. It's a McNellie's Group concept. The fries are good as well. They add a "howdy sauce" to most of their burgers. It's a combo of mustard, ketchup, and mayo. I'm a mustard guy so I just went with mustard. Decent burger, decent price.

2) Shaky Jake's Burgers and Franks- it's in BA and it's the evening business and menu in the Bramble location in the Rose District. Burger was fantastic and they've go some interesting combos. I got the Buffalo Bleu burger which combined a bleu cheese and buffalo sauce on a decent sized burger with onion straws, lettuce, pickles, etc. It was good. The curly fries are fantastic. My wife said the onion rings were A+. We also ordered the Cuban egg rolls as an appetizer. Really good as well. Their menu is ecclectic. My daughter got honey BBQ wings. The wings were really meaty (as opposed to BBW). You get a nice sized portion as well. My son got some sort of Cowboy Smoke burger which combined a burger with pulled pork and bacon and a bbq sauce topper. it comes with an onion ring on it as well. My wife got one of the hot dogs which had red onion, avocado, and some sort of sauce on it. She really liked it. If you're a burger connoisseur, this place will definitely be worth your time to try.
Thanks...two places I need to try. And I've never been to Society...but sounds like I need to get there too.

Thanks...two places I need to try. And I've never been to Society...but sounds like I need to get there too.
Sounds like you mean the next podcast is being recorded on location with Garrett at Society.
Order the Theta. It’s not a traditional Theta like you would get in Norman. It’s got normal size buns, but they melt and toast the generous cheese out so the thing is 8 inches in diameter. Takes up the whole plate.

Sounds like you mean the next podcast is being recorded on location with Garrett at Society.
Order the Theta. It’s not a traditional Theta like you would get in Norman. It’s got normal size buns, but they melt and toast the generous cheese out so the thing is 8 inches in diameter. Takes up the whole plate.
100% on the Theta at Society Burger.

Reactions: HuffyCane
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT