ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Officials

It’s fitting that Jimmy John’s supports this program.

Reactions: TU 1978
If you’re a girl’s basketball official, make the right calls, or else. WOW.

The ref was wrong to take a swipe or even engage the parent. The team decided to leave the floor/game. The game was still in the 1st quarter and the team was losing by 22. Can't imagine a couple of bad calls or even make up calls was going to change the inevitable outcome of the game.

The ref was wrong to take a swipe or even engage the parent. The team decided to leave the floor/game. The game was still in the 1st quarter and the team was losing by 22. Can't imagine a couple of bad calls or even make up calls was going to change the inevitable outcome of the game.
Also parents should not be on the floor. They should remain in the bleachers.

Also parents should not be on the floor. They should remain in the bleachers.
100% agree, but unless you've got enough security personnel, it's really difficult to enforce that. Referee cannot control what others do but he can control what he says and does.

I’ve ran the scoreboard at several of these types of tournaments and it’s definitely not for the faint of heart. Never seen one go like this though.

I did have a parent go completely berserk over the possession arrow of all things one time. I don’t think he ever fully understood how that one worked.

Last edited:
Reactions: TU_BLA and I.I.
It has gotten so bad that most of the really good people have left youth basketball. The organizers have to pay too much for security and even then it is always a concern.

It has gotten so bad that most of the really good people have left youth basketball. The organizers have to pay too much for security and even then it is always a concern.

If you really want some excitement put a daughter on a club volleyball team.

I’ve ran the scoreboard at several of these types of tournaments and it’s definitely not for the faint of heart. Never seen one go like this though.

I did have a parent go completely berserk over the possession arrow of all things one time. I don’t think he ever fully understood how that one worked.
For something that seems so simple, fans freak out about the possession arrow not immediately switching instead of waiting for after the ball is actually awarded and possessed by the team with the arrow. Or that the initial after halftime possession counts as a change.

Another hard concept for people to understand is that the ball is not considered in the front court until it is possessed by a player with 2 feet fully in the front court and the entire ball over the line. Most people reference this just with the back court rule but it also applies to the 10-second count.

It's amazing to me that parents have no idea what the rules (or laws in soccer) say about things...they just assume they know. Take for instance, my son the goalkeeper who knows the rules as the pertain to his position pretty well. He knows a ball played forward by the attacking team can be brought into the box by the GK and picked up. You'd think most parents of kids playing soccer for the 9th or 10th year would understand this but it never fails that every game this happens you have a pack of rabid parents screamin' and a hollerin' about it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT