ADVERTISEMENT

Bad News on Rod Brown

Bill Lowery

ITS Recruiting Analyst
Staff
Sep 29, 2001
This must be the reason he was late in signing. Coaches must have given him his release. Chris and I talked a week ago that it looked like we were still recruiting for the 2020 class.

Reactions: Gold*
Wow, lilly livered indecision at the last minute, good riddance. Really puts us in a bind that will be difficult to get out of because he can't make up his mind.

Hmmmmmm. Weird. We probably will never know what happened.

Well crud. Could have used his experience, but our freshmen have more upside. I get they are not interchangeable positions on the floor, just venting.

I thought he signed. If he had not signed the school announcement was a violation. If we simply gave him a release, then I am perplexed. Have never seen us do that ever unless a coaching change (Dudney). This is really making a mockery of NCAA signings if every player can de- sign any time and get rerecruited by agents or schools that didn’t notice him until the signing when they fell short on a player. “Go get one from Tulsa, They will release them”

I thought he signed. If he had not signed the school announcement was a violation. If we simply gave him a release, then I am perplexed. Have never seen us do that ever unless a coaching change (Dudney). This is really making a mockery of NCAA signings if every player can de- sign any time and get rerecruited by agents or schools that didn’t notice him until the signing when they fell short on a player. “Go get one from Tulsa, They will release them”
I thought signings for Juco players were just a “financial agreement” that wasn’t binding until they enrolled. If I’m correct that’s much different than a Freshman LOI which is binding.

I thought signings for Juco players were just a “financial agreement” that wasn’t binding until they enrolled. If I’m correct that’s much different than a Freshman LOI which is binding.
Jucos sign binding letters of intent, just as high schoolers do. However, there are times that jucos sign a non-binding financial aid agreement outside of a signing period. That wasn't the case here.

Greatest irony ever would be getting an immediately eligible transfer from Manning's program at Wake Forest.

Reactions: Gold*
Sorry if the reference was over your head,(/\) considering you prolly weren't even born yet.
I was also thinking about how Haith likes to profit off of the demise of former Tulsa coaches... grabbing Clarkson from us after Woj got a swift kick in the butt.

What if I told you that Jordan Clarkson was drafted in the same class as: Nikola Jokic, Zach Lavine, Julius Randle, Aaron Gordon, TJ Warren, Joel Embiid, Gary Harris, Jabari Parker, Clint Capela, Jerami Grant, Marcu Smart.... and he's scored more NBA points than ALL of them. It's like an episode of the twilight zone.

I was also thinking about how Haith likes to profit off of the demise of former Tulsa coaches... grabbing Clarkson from us after Woj got a swift kick in the butt.

What if I told you that Jordan Clarkson was drafted in the same class as: Nikola Jokic, Zach Lavine, Julius Randle, Aaron Gordon, TJ Warren, Joel Embiid, Gary Harris, Jabari Parker, Clint Capela, Jerami Grant, Marcu Smart.... and he's scored more NBA points than ALL of them. It's like an episode of the twilight zone.
I'm not doubting your word here, that just doesn't seem right that he scored more than all of them? Wow, guess that comes from not giving a sh*t bout that a$$O. Intentionally did not following his exploits @Missouri or in the league..

Brown signed a letter of intent, but unfortunately, it appears he's not going to meet all the transfer/academic requirements.
This has written all over it: “got into an academic hole due to immaturity or lack of high school foundation early and had to pass all spring classes to be eligible and didn’t.”

Reactions: Chris Harmon
The odd thing is that due to the virus this year, the NCAA is allowing about double the usual summer hours for JUCO’s which should have been an easier accomplishment. Something fishy here.

If he’s had ups and downs in the classroom they may not have been willing to wait to see if he had another up, gambled, lost, and been left with an empty chair in November.

I'm not doubting your word here, that just doesn't seem right that he scored more than all of them? Wow, guess that comes from not giving a sh*t bout that a$$O. Intentionally did not following his exploits @Missouri or in the league..
The best players in that class dealt with injuries (Embiid, Lavine, Jokic) the only person in the draft class with more points than Clarkson is the #1 pick Andrew Wiggins.

Reactions: HuffyCane

Give me Marcus Smart over Clarkson any day of the week plus twice on Sunday. Smart's level of defense in the NBA is on another level.

Clarkson has been a more than serviceable player in the NBA (probably better than college) because the NBA game is somewhat about selfishness.

We signed Shaq Harrison this late. Just saying. Hell, I’m pretty sure we signed Uzoh and Jordan in May. I was about to take my last law school final.

I'd rather use the last scholly on a transfer who sits out than sign Gendron when we know we don't have to.

Hell, I’m pretty sure we signed Uzoh and Jordan in May. I was about to take my last law school final.
Got them both in late April of 2006. Jordan came in for his official visit on April 20, and Uzoh came in the next day. Cason and Woj let me come over to the Reynolds Center and take pictures while they played pick-up ball with the team.

Jordan signed on April 26. Here was our article...it may look funky because it was on the old platform:
https://n.rivals.com/news/jordan-signs-with-tu

Here was @Bill Lowery's article the next day with more info: https://tulsa.rivals.com/news/getting-to-know-jerome-jordan

And another article from Bill after he talked to Jordan's coach: https://n.rivals.com/news/jordans-coach-weighs-in

Uzoh committed on April 29 and signed shortly thereafter.

So you can definitely still find some gems this late in the game.

And, like a modern day Nostradamus, I have predicted that Wake would lose a quality
big....

This is the kind of pickup We should be all over. We have relatively little in the way of competition as most schools have already filled their rosters. He reportedly intends to file a waiver for immediate eligibility.

And, like a modern day Nostradamus, I have predicted that Wake would lose a quality
big....

This is the kind of pickup We should be all over. We have relatively little in the way of competition as most schools have already filled their rosters. He reportedly intends to file a waiver for immediate eligibility.
He would start immediately for TU and Haith, Shea, and Kwanza could promise him that and be pretty confident in holding to their word. Academically he would likely fit and feel at home. As I've said, TU and Wake Forest are very similar. If his name is in the portal Shea should be all over him before Dooley at ECU gets on him.

To be fair, that article mentions that Kentucky is after him.... soooooooo maybe he's still out of our league... but it seems like a guy to at least give a phone call.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
Guys like that don’t do that unless they know where they are going and sadly likely have already accepted the illegal money to do so.

Considering that I’ve watched an FSU volleyball player sit on the lap of an FSU football player and take his online exams for him with other people in the room who didnt appear to think that was unusual, I don’t blame them for not accepting online work from athletic scholarship recipients.

Guys that come to us with marginal academics and have to leave devastate the depth of the team, cause friction with the faculty and most importantly it can cost thousands of dollars in hard costs. We cant afford any misses right now.

Last edited:
Considering that I’ve watched an FSU volleyball player sit on the lap of an FSU football player and take his online exams for him with other people in the room who didnt appear to think that was unusual, I don’t blame them for not accepting online work from athletic scholarship recipients.

Guys that come to us with marginal academics and have to leave devastate the depth of the team, cause friction with the faculty and most importantly it can cost thousands of dollars in hard costs. We cant afford any misses right now.
Well, they're going to have to get over it. I think there need to be many more questions asked about what the layout of the online class was than just a blanket denial of online courses. After all, AP tests are online this year. So are pretty much every college final.

Well, they're going to have to get over it. I think there need to be many more questions asked about what the layout of the online class was than just a blanket denial of online courses. After all, AP tests are online this year. So are pretty much every college final.
I don’t disagree, but the manner of testing and evaluation in those classes can be much different and have greater integrity than classes two years ago offered at Tumbleweed A&M JUCO to keep the pell grant money rolling in and the kid on the field.

That's odd, because they had all the credits sorted out prior to his signing.

My source is solid. Doesn’t mean their telling me the truth of course. Someone might either verify or tell me I’m full of crap :).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT