ADVERTISEMENT

Austin Richie

dmarsh1985

I.T.S. Senior
Oct 30, 2008
Good stuff/numbers from his year at JUCO

Here's what I found from his Fresh year at Nor. Illinois
2018-19: Appeared in 28 contests … Averaged 2.4 points and 1.1 rebounds per game … Shot 30.9 percent (25-of-81) from the field, 24.1 percent (13-of-54) from three-point range and went 5-of-5 from the free-throw line … Recorded nine steals and eight assists … Averaged 9.7 minutes per game … Scored a season-high nine points on 3-of-3 shooting from three-point range against Toledo in the MAC Quarterfinals (March 14) … Grabbed a season-high four rebounds three times: Chicago State (Dec. 22), at Eastern Michigan (Feb. 9) and Western Michigan (Feb. 26) … Recorded a season-high three steals against Rockford (Nov. 6) while playing a season-high 25 minutes.

Don't have much of an opinion at this point, other than we are trying to find shooters/scorers, which is good, as long as we can rebound :)

It’s weird that we’re still trying to load up on 6’6 guys when we don’t have any post players who have played over 10 minutes a game.

Don't see anything above that would indicate any reason to be excited about Austin. 24% from three only works if you are 7' tall.
I'd rather see a 5' 10"- 6' guy who can light it up from 3. (hello Swanson, Reed). I am tired of seeing teams sag off at least one of our players because they can't hit the side of the building from 10' out.

In JUCO:

"Led NJCAA Region 4 in three-pointers made with 120 and was eighth overall in three-point percentage at 44.9 percent. Started 32 of 33 games, averaging 16.4 points and 4.5 rebounds per game. Shot 85.2 percent from the free throw line."

That's a whole different story. Guess I should have looked him up myself. Hope he continues that type of progress going forward!

I never meant to say that Richie wasn't a good prospect. He absolutely is. We just have a much bigger gaping hole in our roster.

They’ll just act surprised when Idowu’s waiver is denied and argue all season that he was the missing piece.

And they may say that 2021-2022 will be the best year yet.......I've heard that 4 straight years now......lol.............. All I ask is that Haith have the team prepared to win the OOC games next year that we are predicted to win and win one or two that we are not predicted to win. That is enough to get us close to the bubble.

It seems that the staff is following more of the Villanova model at this point, with only one or two bigs and a whole bunch of shooters/combos. The only difference is that Nova usually have a 5* pg running the show (at least they do when they win). Horne was the most conistent shooter last year, and it looks like we will try to replace him with 5 guys- KES, Haywood, Gendron, Urbancic, and Richie*(possibly)

It seems that the staff is following more of the Villanova model at this point, with only one or two bigs and a whole bunch of shooters/combos. The only difference is that Nova usually have a 5* pg running the show (at least they do when they win). Horne was the most conistent shooter last year, and it looks like we will try to replace him with 5 guys- KES, Haywood, Gendron, Urbancic, and Richie*(possibly)
Joiner and Jackson both shot it respectably last year as well. both were hovering around that 33-34% mark. I honestly think that Rod Brown can take Horne's place on defense but Brown's not a shooter. I still don't trust Early / Ugboh to combine for 40 minutes a game at the 5 when they only combined for 13 mpg last year. The Illinois St. transfer would be a good addition if we knew for sure that he was eligible, but that seems like such a gamble after last season's debacle. We need an eligible big that we know can contribute significantly for 15 mpg.

Good thing we still have 2 open scholarships. I'm just nervous as it would seem to me that the big should be priority numero uno as fewer and fewer are going to be available. Good guards can be picked up late in the cycle. (Just ask Shaq Harrison)

2018-19: Appeared in 28 contests … Averaged 2.4 points and 1.1 rebounds per game … Shot 30.9 percent (25-of-81) from the field, 24.1 percent (13-of-54) from three-point range and went 5-of-5 from the free-throw line … Recorded nine steals and eight assists … Averaged 9.7 minutes per game … Scored a season-high nine points on 3-of-3 shooting from three-point range against Toledo in the MAC Quarterfinals (March 14) … Grabbed a season-high four rebounds three times: Chicago State (Dec. 22), at Eastern Michigan (Feb. 9) and Western Michigan (Feb. 26) … Recorded a season-high three steals against Rockford (Nov. 6) while playing a season-high 25 minutes.

Don't have much of an opinion at this point, other than we are trying to find shooters/scorers, which is good, as long as we can rebound :)

You might want to consider his sophomore season at Triton.

Led NJCAA Region 4 in three-pointers made with 120 and was eighth overall in three-point percentage at 44.9 percent. Started 32 of 33 games, averaging 16.4 points and 4.5 rebounds per game. Shot 85.2 percent from the free throw line.

He was also a juco all-American.

Highlight video from JUCO year at Triton:

Like what I see. Kid’s got range. Also, looks pretty solidly built. Hopefully he can defend the 4 spot.

I like what I’ve seen of Austin, as others have said WE NEED A BIG.

The JUCO 100 recently updated their ranks and Brown was added. We now have two top 100 JUCO prospects committed in Rod Brown (#64) and Richie (#65) , though both are ranked on the lower end below some other low-major recruits like that of ORU, UT Martin, and Missouri State.

I think both will be good pickups, though we still need that elusive big man.

The JUCO 100 recently updated their ranks and Brown was added. We now have two top 100 JUCO prospects committed in Rod Brown (#64) and Richie (#65) , though both are ranked on the lower end below some other low-major recruits like that of ORU, UT Martin, and Missouri State.

I think both will be good pickups, though we still need that elusive big man.

Once these travel bans lift Haith is gonna roll over to some other continent and get us a big man. That's where we get ours.

I posted an update on Richie yesterday afternoon with info and video. He committed about 5 hours after my post...so I'll go ahead and take credit. ;)

Lol. The Nigerian Pipeline or the Australian one? Pretty sure this would have been Magnay's senior season... he's tearing it up in Australia.... sigh....

He left because of a girl he’s probably not with anymore right? Let’s get over it. He bailed so no point in talking about it. Kids can be really soft these days.

Reactions: TU 1978 and TU_BLA
Richie just looks like he is getting better and better. Had a little slump in shooting in December but since then was red hot and finished that way. I love 80+% FT shooters. Several boards and steals too so not one dimensional.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT