ADVERTISEMENT

Assessing the makeup of this forum

drboobay

I.T.S. University President
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Have you ever heard of Billy Gazonas?

No fair looking him up. Just gauging who might have a similar soccer upbringing to yours truly and this is a telling question.

Last edited:
I remember watching him play for the Roughnecks. Seem to remember that they had high hopes for him. Can't remember why he left.

Oh yeah. Gazonas was a Hermann Award winner IIRC. Hartwick College? Somewhere back east anyway. He wasn't a legend like Caskey or Victor, however.

Some of you may recall that I was in a band for about six years and we sang songs about Tulsa, soccer, and beer. That was our only subject matter. When the Roughnecks had a 30-year reunion of the 83 Soccer Bowl, we actually got to play this song for them. A toned down version of course, with me singing back-up and Chad playing acoustic/singing.

Yep. My ex and I were big Roughneck fans. She went so far as actually calling Caskey and Moreland in Ireland one time. I never found out why but I came unglued when I saw the phone bill.
You never were worried she had plans to run away with whichever one of 'em took the bait? Which one did she call first? ;0)

Oh yeah. Gazonas was a Hermann Award winner IIRC. Hartwick College? Somewhere back east anyway. He wasn't a legend like Caskey or Victor, however.

Some of you may recall that I was in a band for about six years and we sang songs about Tulsa, soccer, and beer. That was our only subject matter. When the Roughnecks had a 30-year reunion of the 83 Soccer Bowl, we actually got to play this song for them. A toned down version of course, with me singing back-up and Chad playing acoustic/singing.

That is great stuff right there. I love it.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
The video kinda sucks b/c I didn't know how to use iMovie at the time. Still don't. But we liked the recording and just wanted to get it posted on youtube pronto.

And you still had time to break broncs and rassle steers. And get a triple double.

You never were worried she had plans to run away with whichever one of 'em took the bait? Which one did she call first? ;0)
Nope but she might have had notions. I think it was Billy Caskey and I have no clue how she got their numbers.

Nope but she might have had notions. I think it was Billy Caskey and I have no clue how she got their numbers.
Billy was the prettier boy. If we're talking money, Charlie Mitchell would've been a best bet target. ;0)

Love it! Dean Hennessy was a classmate and teammate of mine and I am connected with him on facebook. Gotta post this. Terry is retired living in Australia and would surely enjoy if not seen yet.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
And...we had another Herman award winner. Joe Morrone Jr. Like Billy Gazonas lasted about 4 years as a pro.

If you know who Billy Gazonas is you lived the rise and fall of the real Tulsa Roughnecks.

So now that I have level set who is participating, could you ever be excited by a permanent minor league soccer franchise in Tulsa? Does anyone who knows the name 'Billy Gazonas' feel like the USL is thrilling?

We actually called our last record "Roughneck" and used the old logo on the label. Then we pressed the sumbitch in green and yellow to rep Tulsa Athletics. Basically a big middle finger to USL "Roughnecks"

Reactions: Bill Lowery
Was a Roughnecks season tix holder from '80 till the end. Every time the (last) NASL championship comes up, I think of the guy who was traded to us who I & everyone else hated with a purple passion until he became a neck & scored 2 goals on headers for us to win the championship. This guy's name please(can't remember it).

Redass Ron Futcher. He's on the NASL top 10 all-time goal scorer list. Ironically so is Laurie Abrahams who scored the majority of his goals with the Washington Diplomats.

Reactions: drboobay
We actually called our last record "Roughneck" and used the old logo on the label. Then we pressed the sumbitch in green and yellow to rep Tulsa Athletics. Basically a big middle finger to USL "Roughnecks"
If those guys would just say 'our long term goal is to position Tulsa for an MLS franchise' it would go a long way to getting me into it. Right now they have a minor league mentality, not interesting.

Looking at the interwebs the OKC ownership group have made it clear their end goal is an MLS team. We need similar statements from Tulsa. Why do you think the first USL Tulsa match was a sellout and interest has waned since? A lot of people were hoping to recapture something special and instead we have seen a permanent minor league mentality take hold.

I cannot be part of that kind of thinking. Same thing with TU football. If they ever dropped to FCS you would never see me in the stadium again. If you are admitting failure or acceptance of mediocrity you may as well quit instead of asking people to pay to watch your hobby.

I'm almost positive that the OKC ownership group also has (or had) some ownership in the "Roughnecks". By doing so, they could see over time which basket to put their full eggs in regarding MLS.

Tulsa missed its chance at MLS over 10 years ago when LaFortune was mayor. It would've only cost $10 million to secure a franchise, so long as TU was willing to let the team use the stadium in the short term. Now, a franchise costs at least $100 million if I'm not mistaken.

Read last night where Columbus may be searching for a new home.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT