ADVERTISEMENT

Ashli Montgomery

Great family and a 🎢 of a read for those of us who appreciated them outside of football. That said, even with the portal bloodbath ongoing, it was sadly time for a change.

Reactions: edm1077
What a blog entry. Amazing maybe a better word for it. Great stuff

I think all of that is great and everything but the whole “commit to the next coaching regime” just feels like a shot at the university to me. I feel like 8 years is more than enough time to give someone.

In the new college football world mediocrity is not acceptable at all.

Reactions: t-townpod
I think all of that is great and everything but the whole “commit to the next coaching regime” just feels like a shot at the university to me. I feel like 8 years is more than enough time to give someone.

I agree , they keep acting like they are big victims. Monty, you got paid dang near 2 million a year to play below average football, you never corrected your flaws as a coach and just like anybody else in the work world, you lost your job because of it . Part of life is to admit when we didn’t do our best and learn how to do better next time , all I’m seeing from them is excuses . I personally think the Montgomerys are decent people , but at the same time , Monty didn’t do his job that he was paid to do. I wish them the best in the future

Yeah, l'il bit.

8 years seems like a pretty long time in this industry. What is the average length of stay for a head coach in the FBS?

Interesting article. 3.8 years is the average stay for a college coach. He got double the average. He was more than committed to with all of his obvious flaws he failed to correct.

8 years seems like a pretty long time in this industry. What is the average length of stay for a head coach in the FBS?

Interesting article. 3.8 years is the average stay for a college coach. He got double the average. He was more than committed to with all of his obvious flaws he failed to correct.
Agree.

Her blog was ok. Of course she is going to feel like they could have gotten more support. Natural reaction.

I wish them well and I hope he finds another job somewhere and is successful.

However, it’s not like they were donating time to a charity. We paid him MILLIONS of dollars over 8 years - Somewhere in the range of $12m (give or take). If he has a good financial advisor, he and his family are likely set for life if he never wanted to work again (unless they move to California).

To put it in perspective, he made more than over 99% of people in the United States every year for 8 years.

I’m not saying he wasn’t paid appropriately or an equitable wage, I’m just saying he didn’t just work for us out of the goodness of his heart.

Last edited:
Exactly. I AM SO TIRED of all the waterworks on social media for her and her family. You were here 8 years and paid VERY WELL and the return on the investment wasn't there. Stop playing the freaking victim card and move on. Coaching changes happen. Frankly, I'm embarrassed by the TU fans on social media acting like TU made a mistake and continually playing the violin for them. STFU and move on.

I wish them well and I hope he finds another job somewhere and is successful.

However, it’s not like they were donating time to a charity. We paid him MILLIONS of dollars over 8 years - Somewhere in the range of $12m (give or take). If he has a good financial advisor, he and his family are likely set for life if he never wanted to work again (unless they move to California).

To put it in perspective, he made more than over 99% of people in the United States every year for 8 years.

I’m not saying he wasn’t paid appropriately or an equitable wage, I’m just saying he didn’t just work for us out of the goodness of his heart.
I mean I wish them well in terms of health, etc, etc. However, I could care less if he finds another job elsewhere. He has made more money than most of us will in our lifetimes. Our hands should be washed clean.

Haven’t read the blog post, but seems like the general idea was, “We could have been more successful with more support from higher-ups.”

My comment on that theme is that something can be both true and irrelevant.

For example, I can say that I would have been more successful as a Project Manager if I had more support from my company, like a private helicopter to fly me to job sites in the middle-of-nowhere Oklahoma and Texas panhandle.

While that is true, it does not matter. Every job has limitations. Resources are always constrained. Part of anyone’s job is to maximize results with the resources available.

Unless higher-ups are actively sabotaging you by constraining your resources (which I have never heard any talk of related to TU football), limited resources are just part of the job description.

She was playing the Rader card, yet her husband had a lot more support than Dave ever did.
Don't forget George Henshaw , he had enough sense to get out of town when the
administration pulled the rug on him . Tulsa had it's day in the sun in the early 1940's
with Henry Frnka and the oil barons financial support , when Frnka left town so did
the financial surplus and TU's dominance went with him. It took dynamic coaches
like Glenn Dobbs and John Cooper to have winning seasons but nothing sustainable .
Rader had ONE good season and Kragthorpe was here for a cup of coffee . Every
coach who has done well here has left for a perceived better job ....just ask Todd
Graham how that worked out .

Don't forget George Henshaw , he had enough sense to get out of town when the
administration pulled the rug on him . Tulsa had it's day in the sun in the early 1940's
with Henry Frnka and the oil barons financial support , when Frnka left town so did
the financial surplus and TU's dominance went with him. It took dynamic coaches
like Glenn Dobbs and John Cooper to have winning seasons but nothing sustainable .
Rader had ONE good season and Kragthorpe was here for a cup of coffee . Every
coach who has done well here has left for a perceived better job ....just ask Todd
Graham how that worked out .
And Rader turned down Baylor after his high win season.

And Rader turned down Baylor after his high win season.
TU to Radar:
Here, win while we throw every obstacle possible in front of you. Ahh, sorry. You’re firedX

TU to Kragthorpe: Here, win with us giving everything we can! Great job!

The only bad side of hiring TU alumni is that we’ve given them 1/2 the time and/or effort and expected great results.

If we hire an alumni, we need to be all in, all the time.

I think we finally have the admin to do that. That’s a big reason for me pulling for Marion to be here at OC or HC.

I don’t think he’ll screwed by the admin and he’s a proven commodity at every level he’s been at.

TU to Radar:
Here, win while we throw every obstacle possible in front of you. Ahh, sorry. You’re firedX

TU to Kragthorpe: Here, win with us giving everything we can! Great job!

The only bad side of hiring TU alumni is that we’ve given them 1/2 the time and/or effort and expected great results.

If we hire an alumni, we need to be all in, all the time.

I think we finally have the admin to do that. That’s a big reason for me pulling for Marion to be here at OC or HC.

I don’t think he’ll screwed by the admin and he’s a proven commodity at every level he’s been at.
Blankenship had two good years with Todd's recruits then the wheels fell off his final two years
and got the axe making $650,00 . Phil has two good years with Blankenship's recruits then hit the wall .
If TU hadn't fired Bill Blankenship after four years don't you think he could have won with Dane Evans ?

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Blankenship had two good years with Todd's recruits then the wheels fell off his final two years
and got the axe making $650,00 . Phil has two good years with Blankenship's recruits then hit the wall .
If TU hadn't fired Bill Blankenship after four years don't you think he could have won with Dane Evans ?
Uh no. If we kept bill it would have continued to get worse and worse. He’s a fantastic HS coach and he’s back where he belongs.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Uh no. If we kept bill it would have continued to get worse and worse. He’s a fantastic HS coach and he’s back where he belongs.
Totally disagree. You don’t win a conference championship in FBS being a bad college coach. Could he have done some things differently - absolutely yes. I know too many FBS coaches some with Tulsa affiliation and others without any connection to Tulsa. I talked with some during these times including the two down years and Bill’s coaching ability were not really in question. In winning the CUSA he beat several teams with much better overall talent including UCF twice. Something Graham/Malzahn/Morris never did. Kragthorpe did, Bill did. There are other things Bill can be criticized for but he is a sound coach.

He did happen to win a conference championship, something that Graham has never done with his own players or anyone else’s.

That being said, I’ve got a feeling that he’s getting pretty close to retirement. He’s just not getting the move-ins that he once did up here. He’ll probably volunteer over at BA and help get that kid of his out of the mess he’s in.

I’m saying more about the recruiting. He was John Phillips to me.
Under Graham BB was one of the top two recruiters (look who was the principal contact for some of our key players). As HC he didn’t hire the dynamic young recruiter (like Norvell) to pull in a few key players. Having said that the talent from his 2012 recruiting class became the backbone of Monty’s best year.

Been to 90pct of the home games since I was 5...1968...my dad was a railbird at practices...it is hard but not impossible to win consistently for awhile here... we've basically hired good men (even Graham lol) but football for some reason has never hit a home run like basketball has a few times...I for one would love love love to be more successful consistently but I still enjoyed every second that I have been a fan...lotsa of life lessons being a TU fan ...lol

Been to 90pct of the home games since I was 5...1968...my dad was a railbird at practices...it is hard but not impossible to win consistently for awhile here... we've basically hired good men (even Graham lol) but football for some reason has never hit a home run like basketball has a few times...I for one would love love love to be more successful consistently but I still enjoyed every second that I have been a fan...lotsa of life lessons being a TU fan ...lol
I kinda agree! But maybe not EVERY second.

Reactions: Cane1963
Sure sign the fan base has cracked under the pressure and gone totally insane - we start waxing nostalgic for the Bill Blankenship days. I'd much rather have Monty than Blankenship, and that is definitely NOT a complement.

Reactions: drboobay
Under Graham BB was one of the top two recruiters (look who was the principal contact for some of our key players). As HC he didn’t hire the dynamic young recruiter (like Norvell) to pull in a few key players. Having said that the talent from his 2012 recruiting class became the backbone of Monty’s best year.
Was that Monty's best year, or was it the year he went to the Conference Championship?

Was that Monty's best year, or was it the year he went to the Conference Championship?
Yes it was his best year. In the 2020 year look at all of the games that we were very fortunate to win (ECU several controversial calls went our way, Tulane if 2 QBs don’t go down we don’t win but Brin comes in and works the miracle). In the the 2016 year both UH and Navy (2 of the 3 losses) should have gone the other way (key spot in and missed PI at Navy, too many men on the field and key spot at UH) either of those games go our way we are in the championship game.

Reactions: OKTornadoes
Yes it was his best year. In the 2020 year look at all of the games that we were very fortunate to win (ECU several controversial calls went our way, Tulane if 2 QBs don’t go down we don’t win but Brin comes in and works the miracle). In the the 2016 year both UH and Navy (2 of the 3 losses) should have gone the other way (key spot in and missed PI at Navy, too many men on the field and key spot at UH) either of those games go our way we are in the championship game.
We really got screwed that year by the refs. Ugh…

The 2016 season was his best but we were as close to being 6-6 that year as we were 11-1. We had 3 overtime wins that season including a game in Fresno in which we fell behind by 20+ points and had to win in double OT. That Fresno team won 1 game. If the double doink field goal against Cincy doesn't go in we lose that game as well. Evans put the team on his back in a lot those games. It appeared to me even at the time that we won despite a lot of coaching ineptitude.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT