ADVERTISEMENT

Arizona Republic: Ex-ASU Coach Todd Graham has found peace, but....

Tulsa Guy

I.T.S. Redshirt Freshman
Aug 11, 2018
(Given Graham's $12 million buyout, salary should not be an issue at Tulsa. Graham is still young at 54. The fire within Graham still burns intensely.)

EX-ASU COACH TODD GRAHAM HAS FOUND PEACE BUT WHAT HE'S REALLY LOOKING FOR IS A NEW JOB, By Doug Haller, Arizona Republic, August 1, 2018

This is rare territory for Todd Graham. For the first time in 40 years, dating back to his time as a player, the former Arizona State coach is not preparing for a football season.

During a recent conversation, Graham described it as difficult, strange and yet at times, exhilarating. Coaches always talk about "family first" but that's usually not reality, he said. Graham has gotten to reconnect, and in some ways that's brought about a peace.

But it hasn't changed his goal.

"I believe I was born to run programs and to make a difference in kids' lives, so I'm planning to do that," Graham told azcentral sports. "That's what I'm working on every day, spending my time trying to innovate, developing new things defensively and offensively."

Grahm had offers to work this season. He turned them down. It wasn't easy, he said. Coaches are many thngs, but patience usually isn't one. He said he was close to making a rash decision but his wife, pastor, and others convinced him to wait.

Instead, he's directed his focus elsewhere. Since his dismissal--which included a $12 million buyout--of his contract, Graham became a grandfather for the first time in March, his daughter Haylee welcomed a boy named Haksyn. An immediate issue: Graham was not ready to be called Grandpa, so for now he's simply "Pops."

Last edited:
Interesting. Not sure how he left things with the TU people that matter...there were definitely some “hurt feelings”.

He definitely knows this area. Can he get the players?

Interesting. Not sure how he left things with the TU people that matter...there were definitely some “hurt feelings”.

He definitely knows this area. Can he get the players?
Don’t get me wrong , I loved watching the great Todd Graham’s teams play . However , the American conference has turned into a juggernaut and the competition is on another level . We used to kick Tulane’s ass every year and now we’ve become the old Tulane . Last Saturday night was our opportunity for a statement win and our first step towards making a bowl game and the coaching staff crapped down it’s leg with ridiculous 1st and 2nd down run plays with a 30-9 lead . You take a look at the other conference scores and they are almost all high scoring games ranging in the 40’s and 50’s . The defense played their balls off for three quarters but they were gassed at game’s end . Besides Brooks one 53 yard run SMU was stuffing TU run blocking and Smith was burning their ass in the passing game ...so why let up ? In sports a team only gets “UP” for a couple of games a season , you can’t duplicate that kind of effort for every game . Now this week’s game against Navy is do or die for TU’s season...it should have never come to this .

It absolutely is do or die, and we should honestly smoke Navy. But will Monty allow that to happen?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT