ADVERTISEMENT

Any chance that TU does this?

It's not loan forgiveness. ORU makes students be up to date on their accounts before allowing them to enroll each semester. If they can't they aren't allowed to continue. This is a balance on their account that is "expected student & family contribution". However, a good number of students at ORU turn down the student loans they are offered because Dave Ramsey said they should turn them down. So the students come in with x thousands owed and they'll set up a payment plan to ORU. Some it works fine...there are a lot who go to ORU based on a blind leap of faith that God will provide. They turn down the loans, they turn down work study jobs, etc. it's really weird and disheartening. Anyway, about 25% of students have overdue accounts at the start of the Fall semester and have 2 weeks to bring them up to date as well as make arrangements for what they owe for the coming semester. Out of those students, there are 200-300 who simply get dropped and have no plans on what to do or where to go. The money they are talking about simply paid off what students owed so they can begin this cycle over...and ORU basically paid themselves.
I was an insider and know the process and how it works.

Reactions: Clong83a
My guess would be that most TU students aren't in that type of predicament, but I could be wrong. If there are students dealing with this type of thing and it would be a hand up, and they take care of business and finish their education, rather than a hand out that they crap away then it could be viable for a select few. I hate blanket anything.... if you take generosity you grow and be ready to give back in return.

However, a good number of students at ORU turn down the student loans they are offered because Dave Ramsey said they should turn them down.
Ahh gotta love the evangelical financial advisor that is Dave Ramsey. He has some good advice but my goodness does he take it too far.

You may already know, but if you don’t, you should read up on things that go on in his companies. He’s so egotistical it is almost an occultist workplace.

My guess would be that most TU students aren't in that type of predicament, but I could be wrong. If there are students dealing with this type of thing and it would be a hand up, and they take care of business and finish their education, rather than a hand out that they crap away then it could be viable for a select few. I hate blanket anything.... if you take generosity you grow and be ready to give back in return.
Actually, there are quite a few at TU who have these issues but it usually rears it's head at the start of their 2nd year. I believe TU allowed students to carry a balance of about $10k before they booted them to the curb if they didn't start paying on it. As for the Dave Ramsey thing and not having any debt, that's not always good advice. I know you don't want to take a ton of debt for some things, but student loans are really an investment in the student's long term plans. Instead of looking at it as debt, look at it as investment. And if you pay on it according to schedule, it actually improves your credit rating for when you actually have to take a mortgage out (there's just not many of us who can pay cash for a house these days). Better credit rating means better mortgage rate. Sure, I get you don't want to finance every little toy or gadget you want. Don't finance your big screen TV, don't finance your Xbox, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT