ADVERTISEMENT

🏀 Recruiting Anthony Pritchard elated to play college ball in his hometown

Was Jason Parker the last TPS player at TU?
Maybe the last one on scholarship. Jamie Booker was a walk on from booker T.

Fun fact...The University of Tulsa hasn’t had a scholarship player from the Tulsa metro (TPS, Union, Jenks, Bixby, BA, etc...) in roughly 10 seasons. The last one was Bryson Pope of Jenks in 2010 (if you don’t count Gendron temporarily receiving one for a semester)

We’ve had a number of kids from the west side of the state (KES, Haywood, Jeffries, Scott, Woodard, Wright) Most of them from the OKC / Edmond / Lawton area.

The West side of the state has been fairly dominant in past years unlike the 1980’s and 1990’s where the East was more dominant. Goes in cycles it seems.

There haven’t been many players we overlooked on this side of state since Caleb Green. We offer a lot of good ones, we just don’t sign ‘em. There are a couple we offered and didn’t sign who turned out to be no good, like the guys who went to SMU. There haven’t been many Hills, Parkers, Swansons, or Reeds. Not even the occasional Poindexter.

During the late 80's and 1990's we had Jodie Huffman, Jay Malham, Ray Poindexter, Pooh Williamson, Shea Seals, Zac Bennett, John Cornwell, Rod Thompson, Shawn Williams, Eric Coley, Jay Spurlock, Antonio Reed, Dante Swanson, and Jason Parker just to name a few. All played on the Tulsa Hawks AAU team.

There haven’t been many players we overlooked on this side of state since Caleb Green. We offer a lot of good ones, we just don’t sign ‘em. There are a couple we offered and didn’t sign who turned out to be no good, like the guys who went to SMU. There haven’t been many Hills, Parkers, Swansons, or Reeds. Not even the occasional Poindexter.
That’s the biggest problem. I wasn’t saying that we don’t recruit kids from Tulsa... just that we’ve had crap luck at landing them. I don’t think the west side of the state is better. The east side is still better.., we just don’t tend to get best Eastern players. It’s ironic that we have the name Tulsa but can’t land Tulsa kids. There have been some good but not great ones that we whiffed on. Juwan Parker (UGA) Mitchell Solomon from Bixby (OSU) and the Boone Twins (OSU) come to mind.

That’s the biggest problem. I wasn’t saying that we don’t recruit kids from Tulsa... just that we’ve had crap luck at landing them. I don’t think the west side of the state is better. The east side is still better.., we just don’t tend to get best Eastern players. It’s ironic that we have the name Tulsa but can’t land Tulsa kids. There have been some good but not great ones that we whiffed on. Juwan Parker (UGA) Mitchell Solomon from Bixby (OSU) and the Boone Twins (OSU) come to mind.
Bryce Thompson

Bryce Thompson
Phipps might still turn into a decent player. I'm not ready to write him off over a bad freshman year at OU. I'll give give him till after his junior year at ORU or wherever, to not include him in that list.

Phipps might still turn into a decent player. I'm not ready to write him off over a bad freshman year at OU. I'll give give him till after his junior year at ORU or wherever, to not include him in that list.
There is a nonzero chance that he makes us look incredibly dumb in our non conference matchup this season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT