ADVERTISEMENT

American Tournament Thread

loca2874

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Jan 23, 2008
Stafford, VA
So now that our regular conference season is over and we only have a game against Northeastern State left, I figure it is time to look over the tournament that starts in a little over a week.

As I see it and correct me if I am wrong, there are only 4 seeds that are still not set yet. The 1 -3seed is not set and the 6 seed is not set.

1 seed - Wichita State or Houston
2 seed - Wichita State, Houston or Memphis
3 seed - Wichita State or Memphis
4 seed - SMU
5 seed - Cincinnati - They have 1 conference game left and percentage wise would not jump SMU
6 seed - Tulsa or UCF - If UCF beats ECU then they are the 6 seed. If they lose or the game is cancelled Tulsa is the 6
7 seed - Tulsa or UCF
8 seed - USF
9 seed - Temple
10 seed - Tulane
11 seed - ECU

If the standings dont change this is what we have

Thursday, March 11

Temple vs USF 11 a.m. ESPNU
Tulane vs UCF 2 p.m. ESPNU
ECU vs Tulsa 6 p.m. ESPNU

Friday, March 12

Temple/USF winner vs Wichita State 11 a.m. ESPN2
Cincinnati vs SMU 2 p.m. ESPN2
Tulane/UCF winner vs Houston 6 p.m. ESPNU
ECU/Tulsa winner vs Memphis 9 p.m. ESPNU

To keep the games as I have them here Wichita State needs to beat Tulane tomorrow and ECU needs to beat UCF Thursday.

Wojcik used to love the play in game so he could get his 20 wins and the bonus. We are going the same route it seems as well as a bonus Northwestern State Div 2 game to make us look so good.......... We are going to finish under .500 in the conference . This is very close to the last Jim King team and the last JD Barnett team. The good news is the AD's then Emery Turner and Rick Dickson made great moves and hired Nolan Richardson and Tubby Smith. Let's see what happens this time.

Wichita State won by 8 in New Orleans today. So the schedule remains the same. There is one more wrinkle in what I said earlier. If Houston loses to Memphis on Sunday that will drop Houston to 3rd. That means we might have to face Houston if ECU beats UCF and then we beat ECU in the first round.

I am pulling for Houston. I would rather play Memphis.

Here are the matchups as of 3/3

Thursday, March 11

Tulane vs UCF 2 p.m. ESPNU
ECU vs Tulsa 6 p.m. ESPNU

Friday, March 12

Tulane/UCF winner vs Houston 6 p.m. ESPNU
ECU/Tulsa winner vs Memphis 9 p.m. ESPNU

It really is unlikely to matter who we play in the tournament. Haith is probably one of the worst tournament coaches in the entire NCAA. His teams always perform poorly in tournaments. This season reminds me a lot of the year Clarkson was a t Mizzou and they got hot at the start of the season, fell apart, and then lost to a really mediocre Georgia squad early in the SEC tournament by 20.

We likely will get the worse draw possible imo. First round game against Tulane then a second round matchup against Houston should we win against the Wave.

Agree drawing Wichita or Memphis in 2nd round preferable
Tulane tougher than ECU

Reactions: loca2874
Who is shut down because of the virus right now? Anyone besides SMU? Would no-shows be forfeits or would they reseed?

We’ll be done on Thursday, so Dickson can perform Haith’s evaluation and we can move on to a better coach.

Reactions: Stevene
Who is shut down because of the virus right now? Anyone besides SMU? Would no-shows be forfeits or would they reseed?
From what I understand if a team cannot play because of covid then they are left out and the field is reseeded. I don’t have any confirmation of that yet

From what I understand if a team cannot play because of covid then they are left out and the field is reseeded. I don’t have any confirmation of that yet
There was also talk about SMU not being included because they won’t have played the average number of games. I don’t know if this is mere speculation or comes from the league office. However if they do that it would put ECU out also and WSU and USF would be on the cusp so it sounds a little sketchy.

There was also talk about SMU not being included because they won’t have played the average number of games. I don’t know if this is mere speculation or comes from the league office. However if they do that it would put ECU out also and WSU and USF would be on the cusp so it sounds a little sketchy.
That does sound sketchy! I figure they will remove only those with covid or contact tracing issues and not games played issues

I haven't found anything out about other teams, but this DMN article from last week says there is a requirement for games played:
"The Mustangs are currently in line to get a bye in the first round of the AAC Tournament. In order to remain eligible for that, it would need to play at least 75 percent of the average number of games played. Currently SMU has played 11 conference games and the average is 13. If the season average is at 15 following next week, SMU will need to play Tulsa in order to be eligible. "

I did some quick math and the average is currently 14, if all the games current scheduled for this weekend are played the average would be 14.54 so I guess it would depend on whether they round up or not.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Well I believe that the conference is going to overlook this just like they did for Cincinnati in football. The reason I say that is apparently the conference was the one that cancelled the TU vs SMU game

There was a question about covid earlier, I just saw that today’s MVC tournament game between UNI and Drake was canceled due to covid on UNI and it was ruled a forfeit with Drake advancing. I think that’s a good way to do it after the tournament has already started.

I did some quick math and the average is currently 14, if all the games current scheduled for this weekend are played the average would be 14.54 so I guess it would depend on whether they round up or not.
160/11 = 14.54545454545455 * .75 = 10.90909090909091 They don't have to cheat if they don't round until the end of the equation. They played 11 games, that meets the final #. And that's if all the games scheduled get played. In actuality it would be an error if they didn't get to play. A big round error.

They shouldn’t be allowed to play. Dodging teams through “COVID” has become quite the art in the American both in football and basketball. The conference should have declared COVID as a forfeit rather than a postponement.

160/11 = 14.54545454545455 * .75 = 10.90909090909091 They don't have to cheat if they don't round until the end of the equation. They played 11 games, that meets the final #. And that's if all the games scheduled get played. In actuality it would be an error if they didn't get to play. A big round error.
Conference probably did this same thing and said “hey they got just enough. Lets call it a season. Good job SMU”. I hate these people

1 seed - Wichita State
2 seed - Houston or Memphis
3 seed - Houston or Memphis
4 seed - SMU
5 seed - Cincinnati
6 seed - UCF
7 seed - Tulsa
8 seed - USF
9 seed - Temple
10 seed - Tulane
11 seed - ECU

Thursday, March 11

Tulane vs Tulsa 2 p.m. ESPNU
ECU vs UCF 6 p.m. ESPNU

Friday, March 12

Tulane/Tulsa winner vs Houston 6 p.m. ESPNU
ECU/UCF winner vs Memphis 9 p.m. ESPNU

If Memphis beats Houston tomorrow then Memphis is the 2 seed. If Houston Wins then Houston is the 2 seed. If we beat Tulane then we play whoever wins tomorrow.

1 seed - Wichita State
2 seed - Houston or Memphis
3 seed - Houston or Memphis
4 seed - SMU
5 seed - Cincinnati
6 seed - UCF
7 seed - Tulsa
8 seed - USF
9 seed - Temple
10 seed - Tulane
11 seed - ECU

Thursday, March 11

Tulane vs Tulsa 2 p.m. ESPNU
ECU vs UCF 6 p.m. ESPNU

Friday, March 12

Tulane/Tulsa winner vs Houston 6 p.m. ESPNU
ECU/UCF winner vs Memphis 9 p.m. ESPNU

If Memphis beats Houston tomorrow then Memphis is the 2 seed. If Houston Wins then Houston is the 2 seed. If we beat Tulane then we play whoever wins tomorrow.
So your saying we have a chance to knock of Tulane, Houston and then Wichita 😂

• Haha
Reactions: loca2874
Only have to beat Tulane, Houston, Memphis, and Wichita in that order and we see the NCAA again, the first time in a long time for Haith and the first time ever for our players !!!

That should be easy right? The only team we have not beaten is Wichita:)

Only have to beat Tulane, Houston, Memphis, and Wichita in that order and we see the NCAA again, the first time in a long time for Haith and the first time ever for our players !!!
And we are 0-1 against Tulame 1-1 against Houston 2-0 against Memphis and 0-2 against Wichita combined record 3-4 against those teams with major beat downs by Houston and Wichita I’d take those odds for a win against all lol 😂

Wichita has the easiest side of the bracket by far.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT