ADVERTISEMENT

Akayleb Evans transferring?

Any recruiting integrity in the NCAA is all gone. Everyone knows there was likely tampering before they announced they were in the portal. But nobody cares. Soon in season transfers will be immediately eligible. The NCAA knows it has no power over the so-called Power 5.

Any recruiting integrity in the NCAA is all gone. Everyone knows there was likely tampering before they announced they were in the portal. But nobody cares. Soon in season transfers will be immediately eligible. The NCAA knows it has no power over the so-called Power 5.
It would seem to me that these transfer changes are accelerating the process for dividing up the talent between conferences based on salaries paid. Some conferences will pay and the best will go there exclusively. If they don’t play they will fall down to a scholarship only division. But you need to have that framework built out first so coaches have the certainty they need to maintain their standing. I think we are seeing that built out right now. Once all the kinks in the portal are worked out then they will drop the pay bomb. I just don’t see how they get around the tax problem if you are an employee and compensated then it really isn’t a scholarship gift. These kids don’t have the cash to pay the taxes on their scholarship employee benefit. Maybe Congress will remedy that but then how do you reconcile the chemistry teacher with a kid in school who gets a 100% tuition benefit with taxes withheld. How are they different? Not asking for an answer. Just talking to the wind and myself.

It would seem to me that these transfer changes are accelerating the process for dividing up the talent between conferences based on salaries paid. Some conferences will pay and the best will go there exclusively. If they don’t play they will fall down to a scholarship only division. But you need to have that framework built out first so coaches have the certainty they need to maintain their standing. I think we are seeing that built out right now. Once all the kinks in the portal are worked out then they will drop the pay bomb. I just don’t see how they get around the tax problem if you are an employee and compensated then it really isn’t a scholarship gift. These kids don’t have the cash to pay the taxes on their scholarship employee benefit. Maybe Congress will remedy that but then how do you reconcile the chemistry teacher with a kid in school who gets a 100% tuition benefit with taxes withheld. How are they different? Not asking for an answer. Just talking to the wind and myself.
I actually hope the IRS deems any compensation that is included with the scholarship as compensation and taxable income. It may force the NFL/NBA to step up rather than look at NCAA as their minor leagues. Also kids that really don’t want to be or shouldn’t be in school will go to these leagues. Hopefully then college athletics may ultimately return to what was intended. I like TU’s chances in that environment vs the money grab it could become.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I actually hope the IRS deems any compensation that is included with the scholarship as compensation and taxable income. It may force the NFL/NBA to step up rather than look at NCAA as their minor leagues. Also kids that really don’t want to be or shouldn’t be in school will go to these leagues. Hopefully then college athletics may ultimately return to what was intended. I like TU’s chances in that environment vs the money grab it could become.

The NBA doesn’t look at the NCAA as their minor league at all. They would much rather see players go directly to the G-League from high school and start learning the system rather than spend a year in college.

I
The NBA doesn’t look at the NCAA as their minor league at all. They would much rather see players go directly to the G-League from high school and start learning the system rather than spend a year in college.
I disagree. Their efforts to legitimize the Gleague have been tepid at best.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT