ADVERTISEMENT

AAC Considering 20 Game Conference Schedule—Men’s BB

Bill Lowery

ITS Recruiting Analyst
Staff
Sep 29, 2001
Source: American Athletic Conference considering 20-game league schedule in 20-21
September 10, 2020 by Jon Rothstein

The American Athletic Conference is considering going to a 20-game, double round-robin league schedule during the 20-21 college basketball season, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the situation.
The conference currently plays an 18-game league schedule and a true double round-robin format now makes more sense for the league since it has 11 total teams instead of 12 following UConn’s departure to the Big East.

While nothing has been officially decided or proposed, the idea has gained momentum during the past few days, according to multiple sources due to the scheduling issues created by COVID-19.
Three teams from the American Athletic Conference — Houston, Memphis, and SMU — are currently ranked in the ROTHSTEIN 45.
Filed Under: The Rothstein Files

So are they contemplating scheduling it such that all your non conference games can be played, just in case no one cancels on you due to covid. Or are they thinking you'll have at least two cancellations and not paying attention to non con? Just thinking out loud/rhetorically.

I’m all for that. With 11 teams it’s a natural and no team will be able to claim another team is undeserving because they had an easier schedule. 20 league and 10-11 non-conference games sounds great.

Usually the non-round robin schedule ends up with us missing a big matchup or two anyway. This way could end up helping our SOS a tad.

If we’re looking for games to cancel, the new AD can cross ORU off the list - permanently.

I suspect The early season tourneys, especially overseas such as the Bahamas, may be in jeopardy.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I suspect The early season tourneys, especially overseas such as the Bahamas, may be in jeopardy.

They aren't being cancelled, they are moving. Orlando, North Carolina, and South Dakota seem likely destinations. Maui is also moving.

With so many schools not coming back after Thanksgiving or altering their spring semester start, the rumours are we will see bubbles. Already set tournaments will have extra teams added or more of a round robin set up. Rothstein has opinioned from his sources that it will be 7-9 games for most teams. Then a more controlled conference set up like football starting in the new year.

Some are referring to it as a Golden Window and appears that it will start by early December, while leading to some unique opportunities for match ups.

I like the round robin. Has there been any talk about purging another team from The Valley or somewhere else or trying to get navy to be a full member.

I like the round robin. Has there been any talk about purging another team from The Valley or somewhere else or trying to get navy to be a full member.

Navy can't compete at that level for other sports. They prefer the patriot league generally, but football pays all the bills for them and they can compete so they like the AAC for that.

No valley teams have the kind of programs we would consider. Dayton, St. Louis, VCU seem to get the most consideration and operate at a level that would allow them to compete and be assets to the conference.

Navy can't compete at that level for other sports. They prefer the patriot league generally, but football pays all the bills for them and they can compete so they like the AAC for that.

No valley teams have the kind of programs we would consider. Dayton, St. Louis, VCU seem to get the most consideration and operate at a level that would allow them to compete and be assets to the conference.
Dayton's out because of Cincinnati. Out of those two the most likely to me would be VCU then SLU. VCU has a bigger enrollment and they're in a slightly bigger market, albeit with a bit more competition from Richmond, Va Tech, and Virginia. But it would put the conference close to DC in basketball season which could have some recruiting benefits in that area. You also have ECU pretty close by as a travel partner.

Dayton's out because of Cincinnati. Out of those two the most likely to me would be VCU then SLU. VCU has a bigger enrollment and they're in a slightly bigger market, albeit with a bit more competition from Richmond, Va Tech, and Virginia. But it would put the conference close to DC in basketball season which could have some recruiting benefits in that area. You also have ECU pretty close by as a travel partner.

This is also the general consensus. All three make geographical sense. In order of value and success Dayton, VCU, SLU.

Dayton's proximity to Cincinnati makes it a tough sell especially with VCU more accurately fitting the AAC mold of large urban school. They bring a new market but are also close enough to Navy/DC that we could see AAC coverage from the nations capital. It also fits nicely between Temple and ECU. That both SLU and Dayton are private catholic schools means the Big East may see them as expansion candidates as well. SLU in particular connects the Marquette DePaul, Butler group to Creighton. Expansion is likely the only way for the BE to increase media value for the next contract so it's a considetation.

Ideally for me in my this works best world, we take AFA, Army, and BYU as football only. Pick up all three basketball teams to match and call it a day. Fourteen for football, fourteen for basketball, ten all sports four each Olympics and football.

We go divisionless with eight games. Three rivals set every year by geography and history, rotate the other ten teams as two groups of five with only travel considerations. Play every conference opponent home and away every four years.

Basketball is twenty conference games. Seven home and homes and the other six split home/away. Four permanent home and home rivals, then rotate in groups of three for the other home and homes so you get a home and home with everyone every six years.

With a Peach/Cotton bowl contract, a small bump from ESPN for the adds/inventory, and six or seven bids each year that's a good conference.

That line up offers some stability even with defections. Honestly though with it likely divisionless will get passed for FBS we could stay pat and the conference will organically grow quite well in both sports, so long as we don't lose teams to the p5.

Reactions: seniorgolfer

I do like the VCU option as they are an hour south of me. Lol

Where are you finding this information?

I'm a spring chicken compared to you Mr. Natural, I just scratch and peck till something turns up 😉

For basketball Rothstein on twitter is repetitive (reminds me of a sports ticker) but is generally accurate and is well connected for info and stories.

I know some don't like the conference board and it gets out of hand, but some good info is in there too.

My synopsis on our future conference make up is mostly from there. It's been covered by nearly every angle. The three basketball and three football schools make the most sense to add for all kinds of reasons. There is also a clear separation between them and other contenders like UAB or Colorado St based on success, national prestige/recognition, tradition, and finacial/facilities.

To which I think us staying at eleven is by far the most likely.

I was referring to the start of the season. I looked on the conference board and found nothing and there was nothing on the TU site either. Thanks to loca for the link. I was hoping for more TU specific information. I also appreciate the “Mr. Natural” reference, I hope you’re old enough to remember him.

I was referring to the start of the season. I looked on the conference board and found nothing and there was nothing on the TU site either. Thanks to loca for the link. I was hoping for more TU specific information. I also appreciate the “Mr. Natural” reference, I hope you’re old enough to remember him.

I think it got mentioned on the conference board, but Rothstein was covering it pretty well for the last few weeks. That's where I first saw it and then heard the official word.

I think it got mentioned on the conference board, but Rothstein was covering it pretty well for the last few weeks. That's where I first saw it and then heard the official word.
He thought you were quoting local/conference info, and didn't realize you were just giving info you could get off espn and the like.

Reactions: TU4ever2
Time to move our focus to basketball season because football season is over as long as Montgomery is our head coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT