ADVERTISEMENT

AAC Bowl Thread

TU1NNJ

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2004
Pulling for all of our conference mates and wishing we were a Bowl team again! Some general game thoughts:
Tulane good win vs UL. Tulane is improving each year under Fritz
USF loss to Marshall - USF looked lost trying to stop MU offense. Strong was supposed to be a defensive guru.
Memphis lost to Wake - Not convinced Norvel is a good game coach. This hurts the P6 arguement WF 6-6 coming into the game.
UH lost to Army - couldn’t stop the Army ground game or slow the Army pass rush.
Temple vs Duke (hopefully Temple can defend the pass)
Cincinnati vs Va Tech (will say a lot about our P6 arguement if can’t beat 6-6 team)
UCF vs LSU (could be a statement game for the conference and specifically UCF)

Last edited:
UH has not stopped Army yet. 4 offensive series 28 points!
Make it 5 for 35 with 7 minutes left in the first half!

Last edited:
This hurts the P6 arguement WF 6-6 coming into the game.
UH lost to Army - couldn’t stop the Army ground game or slow the Army pass rush.
Cincinnati vs Va Tech (will say a lot about our P6 arguement if can’t beat 6-6 team)
What the biggest issue they were talking about was the scheduling of opponents. if UCF can go in and beat LSU then they need to drop the FAU or the Florida A&M and pick up another P5 opponent. This will give them that strength of schedule that they need to be considered. We all need to be scheduling better opponents.

Temple now down 56-27 to a 3-5 ACC team. UCF is good imo. The rest the conference looks less than stellar.

This hurts the P6 arguement WF 6-6 coming into the game.
What the biggest issue they were talking about was the scheduling of opponents. if UCF can go in and beat LSU then they need to drop the FAU or the Florida A&M and pick up another P5 opponent. This will give them that strength of schedule that they need to be considered. We all need to be scheduling better opponents.
They had another P5 game scheduled both last year and this year and they got screwed by hurricanes. Granted the game this year was against UNC who ended up being terrible but I’m sure the game was scheduled when UCF was struggling and UNC was rising.

The LSU matchup is actually a better matchup for UCF than last years game against Auburn. LSUs offense is pretty bad. If UCF can control some of the ground game and force the QB to throw, UCF forces LSU into the strength of their defense, the DBs. UCFs offense is chock full of weapons and speed. If they can get Killins out on the edge, I think UCF can find some offense against LSU.

And anyone who thinks UCF is done, Mack is a FR at QB. They’ll be good again next year.

(Added: I think Milton’s football career is done. When you read about the severity of his injury, the multiple damaged ligaments, severed blood supply, severed nerves, etc. I don’t think you really come back from that severe an injury. He’s a damn good player and that’s a sad ending as he had another year of eligibility and UCF would be in line to make another run next year.

Purdue is getting destroyed by auburn. 35-7 early 2nd.

Maybe 6-6 isn't really good enough for a bowl.

Purdue is getting destroyed by auburn. 35-7 early 2nd.

Maybe 6-6 isn't really good enough for a bowl.
I have been a proponent for many years that bowl games should only be for teams with winning records and that a .500 record is not good enough. Just me. I also believe if you play an FCS opponent you should not be eligible for a CFP berth. Want to be considered to play for a national championship, play a hard schedule. This crap about the SEC being so tough and why they schedule an exhibition game in week 11 is ridiculous. If you’re so good then playing another FBS school shouldn’t make a difference.

Reactions: TU Pilot
The vast majority of bowl games this year have been noncompetitive. Seems a lot of teams get down and give up. 56-7 at half! Really!

This isn't AAC, but in regard to last night's Baylor game, I think it was the first time I've seen a football team wearing daffodil yellow unis.

I have been a proponent for many years that bowl games should only be for teams with winning records and that a .500 record is not good enough.

What would you recommend if there’s not enough teams with winning records to fill available bowl slots? You can’t just cancel scheduled games. The communities that host even the minor bowls have non-profit organizations that budget for bowl contributions.

The vast majority of bowl games this year have been noncompetitive. Seems a lot of teams get down and give up. 56-7 at half! Really!
Something to be said for the designer of the offense calling the plays again. Auburn looked really really good and had a rhythm I hadn’t seen from them all season.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I have been a proponent for many years that bowl games should only be for teams with winning records and that a .500 record is not good enough.

What would you recommend if there’s not enough teams with winning records to fill available bowl slots? You can’t just cancel scheduled games. The communities that host even the minor bowls have non-profit organizations that budget for bowl contributions.
I agree with TUFan, too many bowl games. Get rid of the contracted games and use a computer CFP style ranking. Conference champs of the P5 plus top G5 get auto bids to CFP plus the next highest 2 in the rankings. G5 bid can be no lower than 6 seed. Two wild cards get 7 and 8.

Fill the rest of bowls taking the next 2 teams to the next best bowl game. 30 bowls max so 60 teams. Make a provision that if doing so would end up pairing conference foes in a game, you skip to the next non-conference team to put them in. I realize it’s idealistic but it would also hopefully pair teams who would be competitive with one another based on the ranking.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
I like it.
It gives g5 teams an opportunity to go to better bowls that now go to overrated p5 teams, ie Purdue.

I have been a proponent for many years that bowl games should only be for teams with winning records and that a .500 record is not good enough. Just me. I also believe if you play an FCS opponent you should not be eligible for a CFP berth. Want to be considered to play for a national championship, play a hard schedule. This crap about the SEC being so tough and why they schedule an exhibition game in week 11 is ridiculous. If you’re so good then playing another FBS school shouldn’t make a difference.

Alabama should be ashamed for playing an FCS team in week 14....

I say get rid of week 11 exhibition games and move the playoffs to 8 teams.

Also, Roll Tide!

Crimson Tide sounds like the name of a feminine hygiene product.

Reactions: TU Sepp
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT