🏀 News/Notes AAC announces plans for 2020-21 basketball season

Chris Harmon

ITS Publisher
Staff
Aug 15, 2002
Tulsa, OK
tulsa.rivals.com
AAC media release...

IRVING, Texas – Commissioner Mike Aresco has announced the scheduling format and timelines for conference play in the 2020-21 American Athletic Conference men’s and women’s basketball seasons.

The plan was developed in consultation with The American’s athletic directors, senior woman administrators and COVID-19 Medical Advisory Group and was approved unanimously by the member institutions.

The scheduling format consists of 20-game, double round-robin conference schedules in both men’s and women’s basketball for each of The American’s 11 member institutions.

“This format provides a sensible and fair path for all of our men’s and women’s basketball teams in what will be a challenging upcoming season,” said Aresco. “It allows each of our teams to play a consistent number of conference games and will ensure that they are competing against teams that are utilizing our strong health and safety protocols.”

In previous seasons, the conference utilized an 18-game schedule for conference games in men’s basketball and a 16-game conference schedule in women’s basketball.

Conference play in men’s basketball will begin with three windows for games in December (Dec. 14-17, Dec. 21-23 and Dec. 28-31). The conference schedule in women’s basketball will begin with four windows in December (Dec. 14-17, Dec. 18-20, Dec. 21-23 and Dec. 28-31).

The American’s men’s and women’s basketball championships will be contested in the same city and at the same venue for the first time in 2021, as Dickies Arena in Fort Worth, Texas, will host both events. The women’s basketball championship will run March 8-11, while the men’s tournament is set to take place March 11-14.

The full conference schedules, along with television selections and game times, will be announced at a later date.

Last edited:
Why is this complicated? We should play every team home and away every year. Screw your prairie view A&Ms or the other have never heard of it Us.

This is how college basketball should be played IMO. Unbalanced schedules is one of the things I don't like about the big (as in number of teams) conferences we have today. I hope we stay at 11 teams and continue this.

This is how college basketball should be played IMO. Unbalanced schedules is one of the things I
don't like about the big (as in number of teams) conferences we have today. I hope we stay at
11 teams and continue this.
Agree.....A true round robin is the only really fair in-conference schedule you can have....This
way, your regular season champion is really a true champion.....

So far, there's not much preseason ink about the coming season...For obvious reasons....But,
as always, I'm hoping for us to be really in the mix when we finally get started......

While the March-April Covid furor has died down (somewhat anyway), It would still seem the
virus will play a yet-to-be-determined role in the season outcome.....If true, I would think that
depth will play an even more important role this year than most, not only for game participation,
but also for the ability to conduct fully manned practices......If the new players that appear to be
D-1 ready come thru as expected, depth could be a strength for us.....

Last edited:
Drop ORU. Forever.
Play every AAC home and away
Play ORU and OSU home and away every other year
Play Arkansas and/or OU at least each every other year

drop in prairie dog dook and other schools every year.

Yes, it’s usually in early January but the December games are the two extra conference games that are being added this year

Agree.....A true round robin is the only really fair in-conference schedule you can have....This
way, your regular season champion is really a true champion.....

So far, there's not much preseason ink about the coming season...For obvious reasons....But,
as always, I'm hoping for us to be really in the mix when we finally get started......

While the March-April Covid furor has died down (somewhat anyway), It would still seem the
virus will play a yet-to-be-determined role in the season outcome.....If true, I would think that
depth will play an even more important role this year than most, not only for game participation,
but also for the ability to conduct fully manned practices......If the new players that appear to be
D-1 ready come thru as expected, depth could be a strength for us.....
When you say "COVID furor has died down" you really mean active cases in many states are at an all time high, like Oklahoma, and we're nowhere closer to being able to resume "normal"

Extra year of eligibility and free transfer for winter athletes got approved.

For teams like Tulsa who aren't pro factories and are also pretty deep in the transfer market this will be a big deal. It also means we can expect Tulane to be very competitive very quickly. I expect Hunter is going to build similar to Mussleman at Arkansas. I could see USF building similarly with a good dash of international students.

I haven’t kept track of Musselman at Arkansas but when he was at Nevada he built his sweet 16 team from transfers.

Reactions: TU4ever2
Where’s the schedule? Just over three weeks until the first game and so far it’s crickets.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT