ADVERTISEMENT

A. Green transferring?

especially when you know what a struggle it was to get to six wins with a top 15ish player holding down your defense.
Our defense was more than Zaven. We've got 3 cats on the DL who can all play in the NFL. Someone is going to bring Stevenson in and get a nice NT who eventually starts (think Tyrunn Walker). Player is going to go to the league and have people comparing him to Aaron Donald after a couple of seasons, and Goodlow is going to get his shot too. Our defense was loaded with speed across the field last year. And these guys thinking they have to move to a P5 program for a shot is BS. The talking heads at ESPN talked Zaven but they also talked a whole lot about our CBs last year especially after locking down Wallace in the OSU game. Think about it, our defense basically ended Chuba Hubbard's and Wallace's dreams of going in the first 2 rounds.

Green and Evans would have easily garnered a ton of notice this coming year without transferring. When they both end up at Mizzou, TU needs to file a tampering complaint with the NCAA.

There’s room to move people over from safety and nickel if they have the speed.
One guy who stood out for me at the spring game was a juco xfer named Wallace. He played safety but had some speed & covered well. Coaches might switch him to CB. He'll prolly start now or be 1st off the bench.

Our defense was more than Zaven. We've got 3 cats on the DL who can all play in the NFL. Someone is going to bring Stevenson in and get a nice NT who eventually starts (think Tyrunn Walker). Player is going to go to the league and have people comparing him to Aaron Donald after a couple of seasons, and Goodlow is going to get his shot too. Our defense was loaded with speed across the field last year. And these guys thinking they have to move to a P5 program for a shot is BS. The talking heads at ESPN talked Zaven but they also talked a whole lot about our CBs last year especially after locking down Wallace in the OSU game. Think about it, our defense basically ended Chuba Hubbard's and Wallace's dreams of going in the first 2 rounds.

Green and Evans would have easily garnered a ton of notice this coming year without transferring. When they both end up at Mizzou, TU needs to file a tampering complaint with the NCAA.

Tulsa Defensive Ranking:
2016: 125 No Zaven
2017: 75 Zaven Red Shirt
2018: 127 Zaven Freshman
2019: 76 Zaven Sophmore
2020: 19 Zaven Junior (covid)

But sure a once a generation top 15-20 draft pick wasn't the reason.

We have one cat who will get serious looks for a draft pick. We have Jackson who will be a late round or FA and will probably have a better NFL career than everyone but Zaven. We had two late round FA corners one of whom has a few year NFL career maybe and one of whom may make a practice squad.

I don't think many of you understand the effect of a top NFL pick. Our other players were good and did their jobs, but the difference of a bottom 50% defensive team and a top 20 defensive team was in the top 16 draft pick roaming free and making plays.

As I keep pointing out to this board and I have tried to point out to the GHC people who keep contacting me, even with a NFL once in a lifetime talent this coach could barely get to six wins, mostly off defense and not his high powered offense. Most of those game much closer than they should be and Collins responsible directly for two of those. We were a 3 win team at best last year, Covid and Zaven got us three extra wins. It is going to be a very harsh return to reality for the school. One that will include a very long climb to get the fans to come back.

Basketball will be right behind football and with the same damn awful consequences. Possibly we get a nice surprise year from the women's basketball. Golf and softball are hard to hang ones hat on.

Going to be a bumpy ride.

Tulsa Defensive Ranking:

We have one cat who will get serious looks for a draft pick. We have Jackson who will be a late round or FA and will probably have a better NFL career than everyone but Zaven. We had two late round FA corners one of whom has a few year NFL career maybe and one of whom may make a practice squad.

I don't think many of you understand the effect of a top NFL pick. Our other players were good and did their jobs, but the difference of a bottom 50% defensive team and a top 20 defensive team was in the top 16 draft pick roaming free and making plays.

As I keep pointing out to this board and I have tried to point out to the GHC people who keep contacting me, even with a NFL once in a lifetime talent this coach could barely get to six wins, mostly off defense and not his high powered offense. Most of those game much closer than they should be and Collins responsible directly for two of those. We were a 3 win team at best last year, Covid and Zaven got us three extra wins. It is going to be a very harsh return to reality for the school. One that will include a very long climb to get the fans to come back.

Basketball will be right behind football and with the same damn awful consequences. Possibly we get a nice surprise year from the women's basketball. Golf and softball are hard to hang ones hat on.

I simply said our defense was more than just Zaven. There's a lot more NFL talent on that side of the ball than on the offensive side for sure.

Tulsa Defensive Ranking:

My you have a massively overinflated ego. So nobody listens to you, and u can't admit the reason why.

Reactions: Lumpuckeroo
My you have a massively overinflated ego. So nobody listens to you, and u can't admit the reason why.

Yet here you are listening and responding. Admittedly not adding anything as usual.

Of course an intelligent person would think to themselves why is the GHC calling a guy who makes (modest contribution in my opinion) a very minor donation three times?

Or the ticket office spending a great deal of effort to contact me again about what is usually a family pack + 3 tickets?

Its June. Just going to make a logical leap here and say it's because despite the "great ranked season" we had the response in ticket sales has been tepid at best, not close to the pent up demand it is suppose to be. Meanwhile GHC is likely losing ground while watching expenses grow from the covid knock-on. Should the team have a bad season well, let's just say even with new media money the effects are going to be bad.

Pretty sure I'm not the only one who has issues with that brawl and despite the heavy lean towards no big deal on this board for casual fans that's something that sticks out in a weird season because it's the last thing they saw. We don't attract a lot of bandwagon OU fan types who say hell yeah. We are looking at middle class suburbanites, mom and dad in Jenks and BA aren't big fans of that.

Update facilities and doing all the things that make a program competitive for recruits and build the program as a whole are important, they don't sell tickets or earn donations from John Q Public, because it's really behind the scenes stuff.

But hey that's me just being a well known TU fan and out talking to people in my community, you know the area they want to pull people from.

I simply said our defense was more than just Zaven. There's a lot more NFL talent on that side of the ball than on the offensive side for sure.

While that is true, it's also true the only sure fire NFL talent we have had on this team, got picked a few weeks ago. Everybody else is a very big maybe offensive or defensive and the best of them is going to another school this season.

Jackson is definitely capable but lacks the measurables to get any where near the top 3 rounds. If the kid was four inches taller the hype train Collins road might pick him up with a stellar season too. Luckily for us he isn't or else someone like Texas would have grabbed him, or someone like Notre Dame would be picking him off if he hadn't left for the draft early.

Loved Zaven. He was great. He was not the difference between a bottom 50 defense and a top 15 defense. We have (had) really good players all over the field. We could end up a bottom 50 defense after losing Zaven, two all-conference corners, and most of our DB depth, but that’s not the same thing.

While that is true, it's also true the only sure fire NFL talent we have had on this team, got picked a few weeks ago. Everybody else is a very big maybe offensive or defensive and the best of them is going to another school this season.

Jackson is definitely capable but lacks the measurables to get any where near the top 3 rounds. If the kid was four inches taller the hype train Collins road might pick him up with a stellar season too. Luckily for us he isn't or else someone like Texas would have grabbed him, or someone like Notre Dame would be picking him off if he hadn't left for the draft early.
Yeah... I don’t think you know what you’re talking about. Zaven missed a ton of time last season . The entire half of the OSU game, entire half of the ECU game, the whole bowl game, I believe he played injured against Navy, and he didn’t play exceptionally well in the Cincy championship game though the rest of the defense did. The rest of the defense held together and played well above average when he was out. The defense might regress this season, but it will be because we lost our entire CB corps.

blah, blah, blah

I Just get a little irritated when somebody talks forever on any issue, asserts false ideas, and is full of himself when he shouldn't be. They are calling any contributor that has an opinion, because they want to market to the masses. You know,... in order to shore up losses due to covid. You are only one of many who they are calling. But your ego says you are special.

Relative to him, I am playing the role of an unintelligent Socrates.(Socrates being the him.)

Last edited:
We will probably pull one of our safety's over to Cornerback. But I can't believe we won't get at least one more juco, transfer portal CB. Still wondering if Mays might have got a call from the staff, asking him if he would be interested in coming back. Desperate times, for desperate measures.

I know better than to get involved in this again, but you do realize the we only played 7 regular season games last year.

We beat 2 teams with a winning record.

Lost our last two games, one to a 3 win team.

As far as Zaven not being the difference. Without Zaven for the second half of ECU we ended up giving 450+ yards. We would have lost to Tulane with out a doubt. We lost to OSU and to Miss St.

But sure he's no big deal. Just remind me again when we had a first round draft pick, much less a top 15ish playing at a massive skill position?

People never realize how good they had it till its gone.

Also we disagree about how to love this school right now but we both love this school.

Do what you think is right and so will I. I haven't bought any new gear for anyone or renewed anything. I will probably show up for women's basketball next year maybe even season tickets. The other minor sports, but I won't buy gear, donate, till something shows me they get it. I won't buy tickets or likely watch either revenue sport I can find better things to spend my time on. I don't think I am the only one.

Have a good day, do what you think is right like we both plan to and are unlikely to be swayed by anonymous internet posters.

Our problem last year was an inept offense.

We lost the bowl game for that reason. End of story. Did you watch it?

Reactions: TULOYAL
Sure comes across like something negative happened during or after spring practice that turned them off, either from the staff or teammates. This kind of discourse does not come across like they are just looking for a bigger stage.

Lol, it's not our defensive coaches who are causing our best defensive players to leave. It's our offensive genius of a head coach who struggles to put 14 points up on the board, has no discipline on the team, plays players based on seniority not who helps us win.

If I am a NFL type player on defense, I am finding a team that is going to a bowl instead of remaining with a program who hasn't averaged bowl elgibility during the HC seven year tenure and lost their bowl last year to a 3 win team.

Choosing to sit out a bowl game and prepare for the draft is better than doing a local interview two weeks after a losing season about how you are prepping for hopefully a free agent try out. That's the difference in staying here at Tulsa or going to a winning program, especially when you know what a struggle it was to get to six wins with a top 15ish player holding down your defense.

Maybe a contract vs probably drafted with all the attention you get.

Winning programs won't have this issue. Notice there are very few key players leaving UCF or Boise?

Smith lost the bowl game , one end zone interception and another on the five yard line .

Reactions: TULOYAL
I just do not understand with all of the NCAA allowing that extra year of eligibility and the schedule we have this year on par with allowing us to possibly compete to get into the CFP why they don’t stay when we have one of the best defenses in football. I just don’t get it
Lots of coaches, pundits and draft guys pushing the narrative that you’ll go lower in the draft if you aren’t P5 and will go even higher if in the upper third of the SEC. kids read that stuff.

Lots of coaches, pundits and draft guys pushing the narrative that you’ll go lower in the draft if you aren’t P5 and will go even higher if in the upper third of the SEC. kids read that stuff.
I got it but if we keep our people and have a great season to put us in the National spotlight then those players will get more exposure then being in a P5. 🤦‍♂️

Just seen where Green posted he had an offer from Arkansas, someone responded saying they suck, Green responded with “ with me they will be the best in the nation “

Just seen where Green posted he had an offer from Arkansas, someone responded saying they suck, Green responded with “ with me they will be the best in the nation “
They might as well go to Alabama. According to their posts, nobody else should be good enough for them.

Reactions: TULSARISING
Obviously over inflated ego. Confidence is important but when it goes over the top then decision makers (coaches, GMs, etc...) have concerns about whether the person fits within the concept of the team.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm personally fine with losing green. You could always tell he thought he was Gods gift to the world. I mean hes a decent player but he also cost us many stopped drives because of his needless penalties. He isnt irreplaceable.

Reactions: TU 1978 and TU1NNJ
Green was an absolute beast for us. Loved watching him play. Evans was talented, but far too injury prone. Anyone dogging Green for a few penalties must have forgotten how awful our secondary was before he showed up. He was a stud, and I will miss what he brought to the table every game.

Green was an absolute beast for us. Loved watching him play. Evans was talented, but far too injury prone. Anyone dogging Green for a few penalties must have forgotten how awful our secondary was before he showed up. He was a stud, and I will miss what he brought to the table every game.
I don’t remember Germany, Alexander, et al needing to talk that much garbage under Kragthorpe.

It was our problem all year.

Tulane was the same story. Brin throwing a couple miracles......

Oh wait we won that game and several other close games, when a top 16 NFL draft pick was on the field and made an NFL type play.

Christ, the kid was the defensive player of the year, who was outright worth a third of our wins. We won how many games with out him?

Some blue and gold glasses going to get broke real hard here. You don't just lose the defensive player of the year, once in a generation talent, playing a critical game deciding position, and just roll on. The statistics tell you the difference in him being on the field and not. Let me remind you that without Zaven we have a losing season last year, period, end of story, we are 4-5 with one win over a winning team.

That's how much he was directly worth.

Next year will be fine though right? Conference championship right?

The players on our team don't think that, so what are the chances that an undisciplined five win average program with Monty (31 wins, 10 from one season) as head coach and the talent losses we suffered, in a season of close games we barely won out in, are going to be?

These players have much better insight into this program than we ever will. The ones you loved all season and talked about as the strength are leaving by choice, first opportunity they were given. This is 2+2 type stuff here.

He did not play in the bowl game and our defense was good. Not good enough to bail out the inept offense. But good.

That is all people are saying here, that he did not carry the defense alone.

ralph_nose_400x400.gif

Reactions: Gmoney4WW

We need to tell kids to read this fact about the 2021 NFL draft : 1st round picks: AAC 2 Big XII 0. That P5 narrative was true years ago. Today, if you’re good, they will find you & draft you.

Tampering?
I think it's part of the fallout when a headcoach or position coach goes to a new team.
Player contacting previous coach, coach contacting previous player, all legal if player enters the portal or has graduated.
Sucks for Buffalo!

Story in the Kansas City Star:
A day after landing three transfers from Buffalo, Kansas football coach Lance Leipold has added three more.

Offensive lineman Michael Ford, linebacker Rich Miller and defensive tackle Ronald McGee all announced Monday they would be joining the Jayhawks’ football program.

Ford should be able to impact the offensive line right away. After redshirting last season for Buffalo, the 6-foot-3, 285-pound Ford was expected to compete for starter at right tackle before Leipold left the Bulls.

“I wanted to come to Kansas because I knew it’d be a great decision for my future,” Ford told Jon Kirby of JayhawkSlant. “I know that the coaches are great people. And I know that the culture and the environment is just quite honestly a great one to be a part of.”

Miller will add experience to a linebackers group that struggled with depth last season. As a sophomore in 2020, the 6-1, 230-pound Miller played in all seven games while posting 13 tackles with a tackle-for-loss.

“I always knew that they see the potential I have,” Miller told JayhawkSlant, referring to KU’s coaches. “Once I entered the transfer portal and I got the call, I’m like, ‘They really do see the potential in me, and it’s meant to be.’ If it wasn’t meant to be, then I wouldn’t have gone to Kansas.

“I feel like Coach Leipold has had a lot of success everywhere he’s been, so it’s only right for me to come help him try to turn the program around.”

McGee, as a junior last season, played in four games and started one for Buffalo with seven tackles and two sacks. He previously played at Highland Community College in Highland, Kansas.

“After I was eligible to leave (Highland), Coach Leipold was actually one of the few coaches that offered me, after I was eligible and everything,” McGee told JayhawkSlant. “ ... He gave me a chance, so I took that really personal. I took it as, ‘He really cares about me.’ Because a lot of coaches don’t do that. They don’t always take players from the junior colleges.”

KU also landed offensive lineman Mike Novitsky, defensive tackle Eddie Wilson and receiver Trevor Wilson from Buffalo on Sunday.

Novitsky is the most significant. As a 6-foot-5, 295-pound sophomore, he was graded the fourth-best center in the nation last season while earning PFF honorable mention All-America honors.

After entering the transfer portal, Novitsky told JayhawkSlant he received interest from Texas, Notre Dame, Michigan and others.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT