ADVERTISEMENT

A. Green transferring?

Ouch. I guess its easier to poach players than coaches nowadays. If we find a way to put a top 25 defense on the field again next season, Gillespie deserves a big pay day, wherever it may be.

These guys are making a huge mistake. They think they need a high profile team to make it into the league-which they don’t. With Tulsa they will be playing on ESPN every week. Tulsa could shock people this year which gives extra exposure. They have no guarantees wherever they go. TRUST ME! Wait till they get there and compete against a talented player who already knows the system. Wait till they get pissed off because they aren’t treated like royalty in the new system. Wait till their attitude affects their play time. They will regret the move. Maybe some guys need to transfer and get screwed over before players start to realize the grass ain’t always greener on the side of the fence.

Reactions: TU 1978 and TUMU
It’s really about 4 SEC schools, Clemson, and Ohio State thinking they deserve every player they want. And if a player goes elsewhere they target, and he develops, then it’s about second chance recruiting that guy and derecruiting the dead weight on their roster. They actually think the kid that goes to Missouri with an Alabama offer is really an Alabama player but didn’t sign because there wasn’t room on the depth chart. All of the talent will funnel upwards to feed the momentum of six schools fighting to get into the play off. It’s making the sport stale.

These guys are making a huge mistake. They think they need a high profile team to make it into the league-which they don’t. With Tulsa they will be playing on ESPN every week. Tulsa could shock people this year which gives extra exposure. They have no guarantees wherever they go. TRUST ME! Wait till they get there and compete against a talented player who already knows the system. Wait till they get pissed off because they aren’t treated like royalty in the new system. Wait till their attitude affects their play time. They will regret the move. Maybe some guys need to transfer and get screwed over before players start to realize the grass ain’t always greener on the side of the fence.

They aren't doing anything they're not entitled to do. But it still sucks for their teammates and us fans. Some players are also going to have the opportunity of more playing time.
If any of them end up on a team that plays TU sometime next season, would be very satisfying to beat them.
Won't bother me if their decesions bite them in the butt.
Go TU.

Last edited:
The strength of our defense has left. My expectation for this year just went from winning the conference to hoping for a winning record. This sucks. I think we only have four cornerbacks on the roster now. There must be a problem with the former safeties coach now coaching cornerbacks. Figure out what's going on Monty!

you would assume it will be Tyon Davis on one side and Reggie Ellis on the other. He’s a redshirt freshman but did see the field a bit. Williams is too much of a project at this point I would think. I could be wrong. There’s room to move people over from safety and nickel if they have the speed.

you would assume it will be Tyon Davis on one side and Reggie Ellis on the other. He’s a redshirt freshman but did see the field a bit. Williams is too much of a project at this point I would think. I could be wrong. There’s room to move people over from safety and nickel if they have the speed.
I’d be out recruiting the local high schools for backups.

The strength of our defense has left. My expectation for this year just went from winning the conference to hoping for a winning record. This sucks. I think we only have four cornerbacks on the roster now. There must be a problem with the former safeties coach now coaching cornerbacks. Figure out what's going on Monty!

Lol, it's not our defensive coaches who are causing our best defensive players to leave. It's our offensive genius of a head coach who struggles to put 14 points up on the board, has no discipline on the team, plays players based on seniority not who helps us win.

If I am a NFL type player on defense, I am finding a team that is going to a bowl instead of remaining with a program who hasn't averaged bowl elgibility during the HC seven year tenure and lost their bowl last year to a 3 win team.

Choosing to sit out a bowl game and prepare for the draft is better than doing a local interview two weeks after a losing season about how you are prepping for hopefully a free agent try out. That's the difference in staying here at Tulsa or going to a winning program, especially when you know what a struggle it was to get to six wins with a top 15ish player holding down your defense.

Maybe a contract vs probably drafted with all the attention you get.

Winning programs won't have this issue. Notice there are very few key players leaving UCF or Boise?

So let me see if I understand correctly-we went to the conference championship last year and we have almost everyone back on both sides of the ball. Many believe our new QB will be far more productive than the old one and as a result we will score a lot more. This is our setup and our corners bail? You get exposure by winning-which we will (on ESPN). For those who leave the family for empty promises-Your selfishness might not payoff and you might have big regrets.

Looks like they are looking for replacements….. Walk on or scholarship kid?
JUCO so scholarship. Graduated last week. Has played CB one year. Let’s hope the upside is high. One offer listed on his profile besides Tulsa. I’ll give you one guess what school ...

Last edited:
JUCO so scholarship. Graduated last week. Has played CB one year. Let’s hope the upside is high. One offer listed on his profile besides Tulsa. I’ll give you one guess what school ...
Looks like EKU and Central Arkansas barely qualified as D1 offers, as well as the Bird 🐦 is the Word.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Looking at Twitter, I’ve only seen 2 offers extended to Green, Hawaii and La Tech. Not the attention that Evans is receiving from so many P5 schools.

If Green’s offers don’t pick up, could he return to Tulsa? Would we have a scholarship? Would we take him back?

To quote the great Muhammad Ali, “Only the nose knows”.

A humbled and more mature Green could become an exceptional player ... some where else.

Reactions: TULSARISING
Green has been guilty several times, but there are numerous other examples. We got three in the bowl game alone — before the fight. Green has a brash and confrontational demeanor on the field and frequently verbally spars and taunts. If you told me that over the course of his career Green has had an Unsportsman against every conference team, I can believe it. I can think of two against SMU, and one a piece against ECU, Houston, and UCF off the top of my head. You have to figure that has had an effect on his transfer options. He can play. Perhaps not as well as he thinks, but he’s 22.

It’s a maturity thing. They don’t do it against Texas, OSU, or Michigan State, but will have six or seven through conference play.

We were penalized 3 times for 20 yards against OSU. They can control themselves, they choose not to. Who’s fault is that? You are either coaching it or letting it happen.

Evans can fill both sides. Green is a boundary guy only as I have been told. Not sure if that’s the case and not sure if it comes into play, but that may be part of it too. Finally, he’s only got one year left. Not a lot of schools looking for mercs.

So you make the call. A guy that is versatile, an honor student, and who starts his own charity, or take a guy equally talented but less versatile who gets penalized a lot and runs his mouth.

Last edited:
I honestly could care less about the penalties these guys have had. CB, much like wideout, is more of a one on one matchup than other spots on the field and it frequently gets chippy. These guys are on an island and they know that if they get beat, bad things tend to happen. The play of our DB’s in the past few seasons is what has allowed our linebackers and DL’s to thrive. If we can’t give our front 6 the pass coverage time to get to the ball, our defense will struggle tremendously.

I honestly could care less about the penalties these guys have had. CB, much like wideout, is more of a one on one matchup than other spots on the field and it frequently gets chippy. These guys are on an island and they know that if they get beat, bad things tend to happen. The play of our DB’s in the past few seasons is what has allowed our linebackers and DL’s to thrive. If we can’t give our front 6 the pass coverage time to get to the ball, our defense will struggle tremendously.
Big difference between PI and holding vs unsportsmanlike penalties.

Not a huge difference in terms of the outcome. All penalties are preventable by playing better and being more disciplined.
Yes in terms of yardage. In addition to the discipline issue for unsportsmanlike penalties the officials pay much closer attention to those players which may lead to more PI and holding calls.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
The idea behind playing the game is to make the school look good. Unnecessary penalties and jawboning is the opposite of that, even if the contest ends with Tulsa leading in points.

PI penalty is better than giving up a TD. Just need to avoid unnecessary violence.

The idea behind playing the game is to make the school look good. Unnecessary penalties and jawboning is the opposite of that, even if the contest ends with Tulsa leading in points.
It doesn’t look great, but it really doesn’t matter as long as you win. Look at Miami. They always have those kids who do those kinds of things... but it got them to the ACC.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
Yes in terms of yardage. In addition to the discipline issue for unsportsmanlike penalties the officials pay much closer attention to those players which may lead to more PI and holding calls.
It also makes them look at the opposing player more closely as well. Plenty of retaliation penalties have been called. I’m not saying that it’s something you want to happen, but as long as it’s not costing you games and no one is being hurt, it doesn’t really matter. Most of them come on late hits out of bounds which no one tends to remember if it didn’t swing the game.

Green has been guilty several times, but there are numerous other examples. We got three in the bowl game alone — before the fight. Green has a brash and confrontational demeanor on the field and frequently verbally spars and taunts. If you told me that over the course of his career Green has had an Unsportsman against every conference team, I can believe it. I can think of two against SMU, and one a piece against ECU, Houston, and UCF off the top of my head. You have to figure that has had an effect on his transfer options. He can play. Perhaps not as well as he thinks, but he’s 22.

It’s a maturity thing. They don’t do it against Texas, OSU, or Michigan State, but will have six or seven through conference play.

We were penalized 3 times for 20 yards against OSU. They can control themselves, they choose not to. Who’s fault is that? You are either coaching it or letting it happen.

Evans can fill both sides. Green is a boundary guy only as I have been told. Not sure if that’s the case and not sure if it comes into play, but that may be part of it too. Finally, he’s only got one year left. Not a lot of schools looking for mercs.

So you make the call. A guy that is versatile, an honor student, and who starts his own charity, or take a guy equally talented but less versatile who gets penalized a lot and runs his mouth.

Evans was the bigger loss and better player by far, but I am a sucker for DBs who will physically abuse WRs all game. It will be a major step back at both corner spots. I will enjoy rooting against them both next year though and may even make fun of them a time or two on twitter when they get burned. The best revenge would be a championship Tulsa football season next year while they end up 4-8 at Tech or Mizzou or wherever they end up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT