ADVERTISEMENT

🏈 Recruiting 2024 Recruiting Summary: Articles, visits, junior days, offers, etc.

Chris Harmon

ITS Publisher
Staff
Aug 15, 2002
Tulsa, OK
tulsa.rivals.com
To follow all of our 2024, 2025 and 2026 Tulsa football recruiting coverage, don't miss all the inside scoop in HURRICANE ALLEY -- Start getting your daily fill of Golden Hurricane news with a subscription to ITS. Our Hurricane Alley forum is the only place on the planet with daily news and discussion on TU athletics.

All of our feature articles are on the front page of ITS, but there is so much more info in Hurricane Alley, including:

• In-depth discussions of trending TU football & basketball topics, with exclusive info from our journalists and program insiders.

• Exclusive updates on TU football & basketball recruiting targets, current roster updates, Junior Day visits, official visits, etc.

• A closer look at TU transfer portal targets, JUCO targets and high school recruiting targets, plus complete offer lists for each class.

• The very best info on coaching searches, signing classes, roster changes, NIL, recruiting breakdowns, game coverage and so much more.

When it comes to recruiting, new Tulsa head coach Kevin Wilson hit the ground running. Once his coaching staff was completed and Wilson’s obligations at Ohio State were complete, the group collectively hit the ground at a dead sprint.

The new Tulsa football coaches continue to recruit at breakneck speed. TU hosted another round of official visitors over the weekend of January 27 and came away with commitments on the following Sunday and Monday. Tulsa also extended a scholarship offer to another official visitor and continues to pursue several prospects in hopes of closing out the 2023 class prior to signing day on Wednesday.

New TU coach Kevin Wilson and his assistants have had a flurry of recruiting activity leading up to National Signing Day on Wednesday, February 1. Tulsa hosted numerous official visitors over the past three weekends, including a high number of in-state prospects, which paid off with several recent commitments.

Tulsa's three most-recent verbal commits came in the past 24 hours and all from within the state of Oklahoma.

2024 Dallas (TX) Parish Episcopal offensive lineman Sam Liu was on the Tulsa campus in late March to watch spring practice, and he came away with a scholarship offer. The 6-foot-3, 308-pounder had a positive first impression of the Golden Hurricane.

Kevin Wilson’s coaching staff continued its strong 2024 recruiting with a commitment from Texarkana (TX) Texas High receiver Tamarcus Gray. The 6-foot-3 wideout, who goes by TJ, chose TU over numerous other offers.

Tulsa Football is on an incredible recruiting run. In 10 days, the Hurricane has picked up five commitments from highly-recruited prospects in the 2024 recruiting class. On Thursday, it was Flower Mound (TX) Marcus offensive lineman Jack Tanner, who holds over 25 offers.

Tulsa football coaches offered a scholarship to 2024 linebacker Jonah Bowman on June 21, and on July 4, Bowman listed TU in his top five. After a campus visit in late June, the 6-foot-2 and 225-pounder from Frisco (TX) Rock Hill came away impressed with the Golden Hurricane.

Kevin Wilson’s coaching staff appears to have made Choctaw (OK) standout Will Smith a priority since the spring. Smith plays both receiver and defensive end for Choctaw, and he’s projected as a linebacker by Rivals.com. TU is recruiting him as a defensive athlete.

Another day, another 3-star football commitment for Tulsa. On Monday, it was Crandall (TX) receiver Joshua Smith, who chose TU over offers from Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and Mississippi. On Tuesday, Oklahoma City (OK) Classen athlete Elijah Green committed to the Hurricane over offers from Missouri, Texas Tech, UTSA, Navy and others.

Tulsa was one of several colleges to offer Lewisville (TX) athlete Viron Ellison a scholarship after his breakout junior season. The 3-star prospect now has the Hurricane in his top five and made a visit to the TU campus this summer.

Tulsa football coaches picked up another addition to their 2024 recruiting class over the weekend with the commitment of Longview (TX) defensive back Daedrion “Buddha” Garrett. The 6-foot, 200-pound safety chose TU over offers from Boston College, North Texas, Louisiana Tech, Texas State, Arkansas State and others.

On Saturday, August 19, Broken Arrow (OK) tight end and defensive end Derrick Osmond committed to the Tulsa Golden Hurricane, about a 15-minute drive from his home. The 6-foot-7 and 240-pound athlete says his decision was based on Tulsa’s new coaching staff, and the way head coach Kevin Wilson and his assistants are aggressively recruiting the state of Oklahoma’s top talent.

Reactions: TU1NNJ and crow4435
Back in June, Lewisville (TX) athlete Viron Ellison listed a top five of Tulsa, Missouri, California, BYU and Arkansas State. Two months later, the Golden Hurricane ultimately won out, as the 6-foot and 180-pound running back committed to Tulsa on August 25.

Reactions: drboobay
I'm probably repeating a few thoughts here, on my last post on recruiting needs, but I was trying to make sure this post worked on it's own.
---------------------------------------------

Offense
I looked at what we need on offense & defense and where we would probably want to supplement with transfers. We're almost finished with freshman offensive recruits according to the way I see it. We have a WR that said he would probably announce in early to mid september.(Kameron Robinson) It would be nice if we had a shot at a QB. It would also be nice if we at least picked up one more freshman OL recruit. At minimum we're losing at least 3 OL. I figure w/ three Sr's who are going into their sixth year in college ball, we could lose 1 or 2 of them and/or an underclassmen or two. Plus we were one or two short to having a solid offensive line this year, IMO.(for depth purposes) We could end up needing around 5 or 6 OL.

My bottom line is that I think we need at least one or two more freshman recruits. That is very doable in late August.
---------------------------------------------

Defense
On defense, either more people are probably coming back for their 6th year, or we are going to go with a higher ratio of transfers, or we need to get a few more freshman to commit. We have one who is about to make a decision, but it's a S that puts us 1 over on freshman S recruits than what I expected we would need if he commits.(My estimates could be altered by 1 or 2 on total needs at freshman recruits, if we had a few players play at different positions than what we seemed to be recruiting them for.)

My thoughts were that we would want to pick up 4 or 5 more freshman on the defensive side of the ball.
-------------------------------

Even though we seem to need 4 or 5 freshman on defense, that's a pretty good place to be before the season even starts. We aren't going to be scrambling to pick up recruits at the last minute. There will be less if any, of us having to settle on our 6th choice recruits in December and January. And the same goes for scrambling to pick up more transfers than we wanted to cover, due to inadequacies in freshman recruiting. Sets us up to have a more stable roster if Wilson can keep most high performing underclassmen from defecting.

Reactions: Chris Harmon
Tulsa Football currently has 13 commitments in the 2024 recruiting class. Many of those turned in big performances with their respective teams last weekend, helping their programs in season-opening games. The following is a look at the top performers.

Tulsa Football currently has 13 commitments in the 2024 recruiting class. Many of those turned in big performances with their respective teams last weekend, giving their programs a boost in Week 2. The following is a look at the top performers.

Tulsa Football currently has 13 commitments in the 2024 recruiting class, and in Week 3 of high school football, many of those turned in big performances with their respective teams. The following is a look at the top performers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT